What diff to get? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 1st, 2012, 01:24 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

What diff to get?

Hello again! OK so truck was finally running well, after the turbo imploded and was replaced with an oil and water cooled one, no issues, lots of power etc. so on the maiden voyage things were going well until I couldn't get up a little rocky area. little diagnostic testing and figured out the rear diff was shot. i have a 110 that had a rover rear axle put in for the disc brakes, don't have the salisbury rear. I'm running 7.5x16 G90 tires, nothing crazy. So my question is, what to do now? options as I see them:

1. just rebuild the rear diff with rover parts
2. swap out rear axle to salisbury axle with disc brakes (i have had quad shocks and a sway bar welded on to the current axle so this would probably be a PITA and $$$ as I don't weld)
3. put an ARB or other locker in the rear diff with the rebuild. I only have a center diff lock currently. This would also mean having a compressor for the locker for which I already run an extreme outback magnum for airing up etc.
4. something I haven't thought of.

I have lots of time as I promised the wifey I would moth ball the truck for awhile if anything broke since the truck has been a money pit with minimal enjoyment until this last trip.

Thanks in advance for the flood of opinions I know will be heading this way.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2012, 01:43 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
It's fairly common on early ROW 110s to have Disco rear axles with disc brakes fitted.

To save yourself the headache, keep the axle, rebuild the diff with a locker or stock parts, and throw in some HD axle shafts. You'll be fine.

Swapping in the proper Salisbury will be a PITA for you. It cost me $250 for a used drum axle, then about $500 for the disc brake conversion, then $400 for KAM HD half shafts, $800 for an ARB, and $400 for 4.11 gears. All told, about a $2350 investment.

You may only need a new R&P, or at worst a complete 3rd. Used complete stock 3rds are cheap. If you are going to have it all apart, might as well throw a locker in, preferably an ARB (IMO).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old August 1st, 2012, 01:43 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Get a Salisbury. Add an ARB if you want and be done with it.
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2012, 06:44 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
Get a Salisbury. Add an ARB if you want and be done with it.
I'm leaning this way, might have a sals with drums in the area, already have disc brakes that i think I can use, then would be the retro fit of the shock mounts and sway bar, then ARB locker just b/c I have def wished I had one more than once (which is saying a lot since I've only been able to wheel the truck like 5 times)
Old August 1st, 2012, 07:25 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

I'm loaded to the gills usually. Between the camping gear and the back seat being taken up by my dog and 3rd passenger I am heavy. I'm trying to get the weight down but I know theoretically the truck can handle it, just not the current diff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1311419091.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	493.5 KB
ID:	55046  
Old August 1st, 2012, 07:29 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Solis View Post
I'm loaded to the gills usually. Between the camping gear and the back seat being taken up by my dog and 3rd passenger I am heavy. I'm trying to get the weight down but I know theoretically the truck can handle it, just not the current diff
IMO, get the Sals and HD 24 spline shafts at a min, splurge on 30 or 35, ARB etc. if you're keen.
Old August 1st, 2012, 08:29 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

Yeah I figured that I would end up with the sals. So now it's just getting all the parts needed. I'll do some more research and more opinions are welcome. probably end up w sals, 24 spline with arb locker. Of course I'll then want a front locker etc . It never ends. guess I could have worse habits as my dad says, like booze and women, which would def piss off the wife hee hee
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:38 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I like the detroit for the sals.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions