Defender Source Forum banner

What Custom accessories allowed on import defenders and missing parts issues?

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  johan 
#1 ·
Hello Community

HOPE EVERYONE A GREAT MONDAY..

Lets pretend that someone found any model defender with original chassis, vin plate, engine, transmission , etc,etc,, but it is equipped with custom accessories that they want to import into the states...

I wanted to know if US Customs will give anyone issues or problems on imported defenders with custom accessories installed on it and i mean heavy accessories.. and a few things that are missing from the defender...

Here are the extra accessories installed.

1.... 2 inch suspension lift, different shocks and springs?

2.... Aftermarket Full Roll cage, inside and outside protection cage?

3.... Aftermarket Side Steps & Rock Sliders?

4.... Aftermarket Front Bumper and Rear Bumper?

5.... Aftermarket Front and Rear Seats?

Not saying it has all these parts installed on it but lets say a few of the above is or all?

Here are the missing parts,

1.... No Front or Rear Seats?

2.... No Seat Belts?

3.... No Seats but it has Seat Belts? and vice versa , NO Seat Belts but it has Seats?

4.... No Bumpers?

5.... No Headlights, NO Taillights?

6.... A Door here , A Glass there, Side Mirror etc,etc?

Again, not saying all these parts are missing on the defender but lets say a few are or all?

please advise..

thank you

See less See more
#3 ·
First, today is Sunday. :) Second, what research have you done? You just have so many open-ended questions it may be useful to do some additional research first. There are a few great threads here that you should read if you search (or use google to search here). As a pointer, instead of looking at specific accessories and wondering if they'll create a hindrance for entry, figure out exactly what is importable, and realize all the rest (bumpers, etc.) is just white noise.

#4 · (Edited)
I think you are doing it wrong.

I don't think you have read enough to import a vehicle on your own. If you acknowledge that you will have to find someone that has done this before (apparently someone with [url=http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f6/importing-1988-defender-110-without-engine-and-transmission-need-advice-63422.html#post653812] 700+[/URL] imports, no less), then you will see that asking the forum these open ended hypothetical questions is pointless.

Once you select your importer you can forward them every engineless and doorless truck you come across and based on their previous experience they will tell you if it's likely to make it past customs or not.

In reality the importer will probably already have a lead on several importable trucks for you to peruse.

#6 · (Edited)
Food for thought

Edmond,
Just to highlight my shipping experience, if you are going to fit add-ons like new bumpers, rock sliders or anything bolted on before shipping, have who ever does it to spot weld the bolts.

I had my 90 shipped via Southampton ro-ro, the road transport driver missed the boat by hours, so the landy sat at the docks for a couple weeks before the next boat.

In this time some tea leaves had ample time to lift all the nice add-ons, front bumper, rock sliders, radio including the holder (Land Rover std mount) step bumper, jack and wheel nut spanner, new floor mats and even the steering wheel locking device (of which i still have the key).

What pissed me off more than anything that some of the stuff was gifted and I didn't know it was on the landy.

Shipping company and Southampton transport police didn't give a rats arse.

And yes I did use a importer with (700+) odd imports under his belt.

So do make sure that our landy makes it to the docks in plenty of time without sitting for to long or pay for secure storage.

I was just glad that the newish Exmoor LR logo'ed seats and new battery also didn't get lifted.

#7 ·
i have done a lot of research. But no luck.

Rijo, i really thought next day was monday.. just been working long late hours, lost it,,
Rocky, that thread was regarding the engines and transmissions..

I have also asked Uncle Douglas about this, waiting for his reply...

to be honest , you cant find many articles on the net that addresses this matters.. i have researched and researched and researched,,
most people are pointing me to go read threads and search the net but it clearly shows that even here in this forum very little has been talked about regards this matter..
point me to where i need to go,, dont tell me go research here and there or go find this site... If you know something then just say it out loud..
maybe i am wrong, if i am then forgive me..

Believe me , i have tried many times to communicate with those who have imported defenders with accessories, but like always i never hear back from them, (EXCLUDE UNCLE DOUGLAS) he has always responded back to me when i have a question for him...
i have sent out over 20 emails and till today i havent heard back from any of them..

i will continue doing my research and when i import a defender with accessories, I will advise all others on this matter.. exactly what Jave mentioned..

Roverman,, i am really so sad that this has happened to you. i would of probably had a big heartache..
you gave me few great points that i couldn't find in months of researching the internet.. again , your story breaks my heart.. i just cant imagine what you went through..
now, i am not going to use a ro-ro for transport, hell no.. i rahter pay extra for container but know the defender is safe..

I do really appreciate you sharing your experience with us.. now , you have given
me great points,, i wish at least a few people like you will come forward with their experiences.. Bless you sir..

I want to thank the few who responded back..

thank you Blackfield, Jave, Rijo, Rocky, Roverman

#10 ·
Even with my past experience I will be bringing a tasty 110 coming over in a year

Reactions: Edmond
#11 · (Edited)
I agree with Edmond, there is not a whole lot written about what accessoires can be brought in. I think this is for everybody a grey area. I have brought in quite a few trucks, never had a problem but always made sure they were original. FOr instance, I always take of the alloy wheels.

On the other hand, if you see what is still brought in by quite a few "rebuilders" from Europe, I would think a lot is still possible. Just look at ebay and you find a few of these companies and the cars they brought/bring in. Leather seats, alloy wheels, side bars, metallic paint and all kind of electronics. It looks like a lot is still possible.

What officially is allowed, when a car is denied entrance or who, and where the decision is made about this, is very unclear. I have done a lot of research but couldn't find the exact answers either.
So I keep(or make) my cars all stock and hope to continue not having any problems.

By the way, I almost only do container transport. Very easy, door to door, but for sure no garantee. Still, every Land Rover is checked by customs before entering the country, so that means every container is unloaded and loaded again. I had quite some damage to for instance paint work. Maybe nothing compared to Roverman, but still. Also the extra costs for having a container checked by customs can be high. Once I had a bill of over $ 6,000 !!!!

#12 ·
i would want to buy from a trusted board member,

unfortunately, my bankroll doesn't allow me to.

I want a defender that is 1988 or newer and LHD.. unless it is a defender 130 :), i take any year , RHD too.

Every defender for sale in the states that is older then 1985 or is RHD, which are fairly priced and great buys..

The ones that are 1988 and newer are very expensive for my taste, i just can not afford them as we speak..

I am not in the position to buy it here in the states, all defenders hitting 40k and going up..

I want to try to import a newer defender and probably less cheaper then the ones available here. Its possible.

Search continues

#14 ·
I agree with everything Johan said.

Johan, you are quite right about overseas companies beefing up defenders before importing it here.. I am amazed at the parts they replace.
It seems this is fine as long as the 3 major things are correct and original on the defender,,, chassis, engine, transmission. As long as you are not tempering with these 3 items then you will be fine..

Johan, about the paint being damaged, do you think someone messed with it when it was unloaded and reloaded here in the states or someone did it when it was first exported out? where you there when you exported the defender? just curious how it happened.

Hope we get few more positive feedback from other members who have imported defenders with heavy accessories, lets see

#16 ·
I agree with everything Johan said. Johan, you are quite right about overseas companies beefing up defenders before importing it here.. I am amazed at the parts they replace. It seems this is fine as long as the 3 major things are correct and original on the defender,,, chassis, engine, transmission. As long as you are not tempering with these 3 items then you will be fine.. Johan, about the paint being damaged, do you think someone messed with it when it was unloaded and reloaded here in the states or someone did it when it was first exported out? where you there when you exported the defender? just curious how it happened. Hope we get few more positive feedback from other members who have imported defenders with heavy accessories, lets see
I have my own facility in Europe where we load, totally save and very experienced people loading. For sure it has happened at one of the bonded warehouses here in US. Can tell you (to) many stories about these places... :(((((

By the way, good luck finding a 1988 LHD in Europe...... I know the market pretty well but you will only find a few Turbo diesel 90's and hardly any 110. Please think 5 times before buying a Turbo Diesel unseen. If there is no very hard evidence of a good engine, stay away from it, almost all (if not all) of them are shot.

#15 ·
Rijosho
i have searched the defender source for about a year or more..
my budget is 15k to 17k
i can not find a defender 110 SW or 130 DC for this price that is LHD and drivable..
there are the RHD from 15k to 35k and even more.
1988 and newer, its going to be very very hard to find here in the states..
Defender 90s are cute but not my style, so they are out of the equation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.