What can get through CBP? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 15th, 2016, 12:58 PM
bnoonan
Brice
1988 RHD 90

What can get through CBP?

I wonder if I'm wasting my time having the turbo removed from my 12J before import (a topic for another time) if people can get things like this through. I just don't understand. (I'm getting it done, not worth the risk, but really, how variable is the stringency?)

Land Rover Defender 90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2016, 01:04 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoonan View Post
I wonder if I'm wasting my time having the turbo removed from my 12J before import (a topic for another time) if people can get things like this through. I just don't understand. (I'm getting it done, not worth the risk, but really, how variable is the stringency?)

Land Rover Defender 90
Different interpretation of laws in the late 2000's. I highly doubt that truck was imported after 2013
Old April 15th, 2016, 07:44 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoonan View Post
I wonder if I'm wasting my time having the turbo removed from my 12J before import (a topic for another time) if people can get things like this through. I just don't understand. (I'm getting it done, not worth the risk, but really, how variable is the stringency?) Land Rover Defender 90
Every Land Rover imported after June of last year (2015) is subject to intensive examination by US Customs & Border Protection, unless the vehicle is properly qualified in advance for pre-clearance into the US (not most vehicles). This is, unfortunately, the resultant fall-out from the government's failure to prevail in my case last year.

For what it is worth, you are making the right call by removing the turbo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2016, 10:03 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
Every Land Rover imported after June of last year (2015) is subject to intensive examination by US Customs & Border Protection, unless the vehicle is properly qualified in advance for pre-clearance into the US (not most vehicles). This is, unfortunately, the resultant fall-out from the government's failure to prevail in my case last year.

For what it is worth, you are making the right call by removing the turbo.
Do you have anymore info on the pre qualifying process?
Old April 20th, 2016, 11:22 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0k3d View Post
Hire Uncle Doug on this Forum to guide you through the process and get it right the first time.

Hire WillH the lawyer if you DIY, get caught and need to a lawyer for advice.
Old April 21st, 2016, 02:56 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by st0k3d View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Hire Uncle Doug on this Forum to guide you through the process and get it right the first time.

Hire WillH the lawyer if you DIY, get caught and need to a lawyer for advice.

I actually handle both aspects now (i.e., both shipping and legal defense). I am now working with multiple vendors to provide concierge shipping service worldwide, and I handle both individual and commercial accounts. As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Suffice it to say that it's much easier to deal with potential issues on the other side of the pond before the vehicles arrive stateside, then when it's already here and under seizure by CBP.

As for the question about the pre-clearance process, again most vehicles will not qualify for this as it requires multiple criteria to be met, including an existing and ongoing record of shipping into the US without issue.

Thanks for the questions and please let me know if I can provide anyone with assistance.

Quote:
Old April 21st, 2016, 05:50 PM
bnoonan
Brice
1988 RHD 90

Thanks for the info and the confirmation that turbo removal is the right call. I made some calls to port inspectors and confirmed everything else. Seems most cosmetic things are OK (small lift, new tires, snorkel, etc.), not grounds for seizure. Chassis & Under hood VIN match, Engine # matches production = all good...hopefully.

As I've dealt with loads of more complex CBP importations (e.g. importation of CITES animals) I'm going DIY. Good to know you offer legal representation if I totally miss the mark.
Old April 21st, 2016, 06:39 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
No worries sir, it is my pleasure. Best wishes on your upcoming import.

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions