What and Where? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 25th, 2014, 12:46 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
What and Where?

I need to either rebuild the Saudi Spec AC 110, or swap over to a standard bulkhead.

I need to either swap to a 300Tdi, or a 4.2 or something.

I need to find the best places to source used parts.

I need to find the best places to source new parts.

I would like a 300Tdi, but I'm not sure I can drop the $10k or so it would take. I'm not jumping into the project just yet, so unless you have a good price on something in Oregon or Washington, don't try to sell me anything... yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2014, 01:02 AM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

Brian at Defenders Northwest is your best bet. He's a good honest guy and he's close to you (Gig Harbor, WA)
Old November 26th, 2014, 10:59 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Yes, that is one place I will be turning to. Ship's will be a resource. And Rovafarm. Any other thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2014, 11:25 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
diesels are lame, under powered noisy smelly. 4.2 with some headwork and an aftermarket cam, poo poo on diesels all day.. yeah you can drive under water and get 20mpg woo hoo, see you on the other side of the mountain. ooo diesels have so much low end they chug along on the trail all day, ill take a V8 and wheel spin
Old November 26th, 2014, 11:44 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
diesels are lame, under powered noisy smelly. 4.2 with some headwork and an aftermarket cam, poo poo on diesels all day.. yeah you can drive under water and get 20mpg woo hoo, see you on the other side of the mountain. ooo diesels have so much low end they chug along on the trail all day, ill take a V8 and wheel spin
All that being said, a diesel will give you 50% greater mileage and distance traveled (even with an auto-box) and rarely will you break any stock drive-line components .... unless you drive as a famous president once said, "stupidly"
Old November 26th, 2014, 11:46 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Unless it is a 4.6 or bigger, its a waste of time. A 4.0 will get bogged down driving on the highway in the mountains unless you are running at 4,500+ RPM's. My experience with the 300 Tdi is that the power band is more suited for normal driving. FWIW I drove a 300 Tdi 110 for two years, and now drive a 4.6 D90.
Old November 27th, 2014, 12:03 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
There is also the om617 option from Mr Robert Davis. Such a great motor
Old November 27th, 2014, 12:30 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
A 4.2 or 4.6 with a mild cam is more than up to the task of moving a loaded 110 around in the hills . I'm really impressed with the 4.2 motor for most duties . The OM617 is a great motor but not great in the hills in a fully loaded 109 . We are running our OM617 with fuel turned up and the boost at 18lbs . It's still a pig in the higher elevations until the boost comes on .
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 27th, 2014, 12:52 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
I have one of each. I love the 4.6 in the Rangie. It is better suited for city driving. But having to fill the tank every six days is a pain in the bank.

I love the HS2.8 in the Disco. It is best on long trips because of the 28 mpg it gets. Around town I can drive for two weeks between fill ups. But I don't like driving manual in the city traffic.

The V8 has more horsepower. They both have about the same torque although the 2.8 produces all the torque around 1400 rpm whereas the 4.6 makes it around 3200 rpm.

The 2.8 diesel has no computers to screw things up. While the 4.6 has not let me down, it's complexity leave great potential to go wrong.
Old November 27th, 2014, 10:05 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Because, "murica".

They are both good.

Old November 27th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Ben you can put a 300tdi in your 110 for less than $5k...I'm sure of it.
A 4.2 will certainly be less than that.

I'm not sold on either one as the end-all-be-all.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old November 27th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka rover View Post
A 4.2 or 4.6 with a mild cam is more than up to the task of moving a loaded 110 around in the hills . I'm really impressed with the 4.2 motor for most duties . The OM617 is a great motor but not great in the hills in a fully loaded 109 . We are running our OM617 with fuel turned up and the boost at 18lbs . It's still a pig in the higher elevations until the boost comes on .
We have a 4.2 with edlebrock and auto in Trey's 110 and I frigging love driving that truck, more power than Rover ever put in a 110. Its what they should have built...it gets 12mpg if I keep my foot out of the secondary's 8 if I don't. With fuel @ $2.50 a gallon guess how I do her.
I find myself looking for traffic merge scenario's where I need hp and have to peg it and wind it out in ea gear with the 4bbl sucking in all the air it can. What a glorious sound.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 27th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Ben you can put a 300tdi in your 110 for less than $5k...I'm sure of it.
A 4.2 will certainly be less than that.

I'm not sold on either one as the end-all-be-all.

I think my Hunter needs the LS Gen 4 conversion.... to cover all bases.

I've had the 3.9,4.2,4.6,300Tdi...
My 4.2 was better than the rest in its glory days.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old November 27th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
But having to fill the tank every six days is a pain in the bank.
I only make it three days, and I average 13-14 MPG.
Old November 27th, 2014, 02:48 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I only make it three days, and I average 13-14 MPG.
You must drive more than I do. And I thought I drove more than the average.
I get 14 in town and 16 hwy.
Old November 27th, 2014, 03:17 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
yes LS swap
Old November 27th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
i went from 4.2 to 4.6 with the wild crower cam - Night and day...now however I am a 200tdi convert...i can do 75mph no worries - why would you wanna drive faster? In the hills I know I will slow down - OK. Who cares how fast these trucks go...go buy a Porsche or something and go fast.

It depends where you drive mostly really, if you are looking for speed - wrong truck - if you are looking for offered capabilities - right truck.
Old November 27th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
You must drive more than I do. And I thought I drove more than the average.
I get 14 in town and 16 hwy.
I drive over 50 miles a day.

Quote:
yes LS swap
Meh, I'd just as soon drive a Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
i went from 4.2 to 4.6 with the wild crower cam - Night and day...now however I am a 200tdi convert...i can do 75mph no worries - why would you wanna drive faster? In the hills I know I will slow down - OK. Who cares how fast these trucks go...go buy a Porsche or something and go fast.

It depends where you drive mostly really, if you are looking for speed - wrong truck - if you are looking for offered capabilities - right truck.
I had no problem accelerating to 75 going up Afton Mountain in Va with my 300 Tdi. I do like the fact that I can cruise over 80 in D90 all day.
Old November 27th, 2014, 06:58 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Thanks for all the info.

I am actually leaning to a 4.2 or 4.6 because of the ease of the transition, cost, etc.... I rebuilt the top of a 4.2 a few years back, and I was amazed at how beautiful that engine was after that work.

I want a Tdi, but it will have to basically fall in my lap for me to take the plunge. There are affordable engines on the market, but I think I would be stupid to not rebuild it before installing.

What do you all think of going from the solid AC bulkhead (NAS 110 style) to a standard version?
Old November 27th, 2014, 08:24 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Ben, you've driven my 200tdi so you know what one drives like. I can drive 70mph all day long. I drove 65 up the hill from Pendleton heading home from the ABFM. I also averaged 22mpg......Pretty sure you're not going to get that out of a 4.2 or 4.6.

I do, however, understand the cost issues associated with diesels having converted a V8 rig to diesel.
Where this rig is your primary camping rig, it sure would be nice to have the range of a diesel. If you're planning on keeping this long-term, I'd seriously consider talking Heather into a diesel.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions