Wet Weather/Won't Start - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 19th, 2012, 06:55 PM
OahuDefender
Jason
1994 D-90

Wet Weather/Won't Start

So, I've been having this problem for awhile now. It seems after a bout of wet weather my D-90 won't want to start. In the past I've just waited for the weather to dry out, charged the battery and then gotten it to start. Occasionally having to pull the fuel pump c/b in order to burn off fuel that may have flooded the engine.

Anyways, just wondering if anyone had any insights. The truck is kept in a car port so it's not like it's getting completely drenched, but the wind does carry some water under it. It definitely isn't getting soaked. Just wondering what if any ideas people had. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Abeer
Amarveer
94 D90 ST

Registry
I had a similar problem when it drizzled. Mine was from a hairline crack in the distributor cap
Old December 20th, 2012, 03:27 PM
OahuDefender
Jason
1994 D-90

How'd you narrow it down to the distributor??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2012, 03:35 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Pop the distributor cap off, spray out the inside with Wd40, wipe it as dry as you can, reinstall. If this gets you going, then its the cap. Watch the little springy rotor button when you're wiping.
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:43 PM
OahuDefender
Jason
1994 D-90

So, it rained again last night and it won't start once again. Typically when this happens, I'm able to pull the fuel pump realy circuit breaker and it will crank and burn off the rest of the gas from previous cranking. Then if it's dry when I replace it, it will start again. Not sure if this has anything to do with the problem.

Can someone just run me through the list of possible culprits starting with most likely and what I can do about it? It only seems to happen when the bonnet gets rained on (i.e. sitting out, or even under the carport but with the hood pointed out....because rain gets blown in). It's kind of difficult to troubleshoot because it only does it when it's been rained on for awhile and I'm usually stranded or the weather is bad, so there's only so much I can do. Any more advice would be much appreciated.
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Arran73
Arran Thomson
1987 90 soft top

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by revtor View Post
Pop the distributor cap off, spray out the inside with Wd40, wipe it as dry as you can, reinstall. If this gets you going, then its the cap. Watch the little springy rotor button when you're wiping.
X2 I would start there
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:03 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Had this problem too and depending where you are on Oahu it probably doesn't ever get that dry. I usually just popped the distributor cap and ran a hair dryer over the inside. Caps are pretty cheap to replace, so if you find that is the issue, just get a new one.

B
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:25 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Check for water in the computer and/or silver relays and check for corrosion on the chicklet. Next replace cap and ignition wires. Then move onto the ignition module (relocate it away from the coil). Then give up and sell it to me and I will figure it out.
Old January 9th, 2013, 05:18 PM
OahuDefender
Jason
1994 D-90

Where are the computer and relays located? Checking the cap will be step 1 I suppose. Like I said, it's just hard to trouble shoot because it happens when it rains.
Old January 9th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

BTDT. Replace the spark plug wires.
Old January 10th, 2013, 12:23 AM
Hondo
Randall Reiten
1994 Defender 90

Registry
I've had the same problem on my 94 D-90. Pulled my ECU and found it to be very corroded do to moisture. I've got AC and my ECU is relocated on the passenger front sidewall with the wiring harness coming in from the top. Any water will drain down the cable right into the ECU. I've cleaned and sealed the unit and rotated it 90 degrees. I also have a 12 volt hair drier to dry it out if needed.
Old January 10th, 2013, 10:36 PM
OahuDefender
Jason
1994 D-90

Is that the ECU? I thought that was just the code reader in the cabin on the passenger side footwell? Anyway, bought a new distributor cap and rotor....so I'll start there and wait for the next rain I suppose. Amazingly they had the parts on island.
Old January 10th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Hondo
Randall Reiten
1994 Defender 90

Registry
I couldn't start mine yesterday on a cold foggy day. Seems to be flooding. Had to reach in behind the fuse panel to get at the inertia switch. Turn over the engine a few times and reset the switch. Now it starts. Never have a problem when starting it in the garage. Good luck. let me know what you find out.
Old January 17th, 2013, 12:45 PM
corrumpu
chris b
1995/RRC SWB

Registry
I have a 95 RRC that is hard starting on wet mornings.. unfortunately it's been wet for like 5 days!

I've checked my dizzie cap and checked for spark (which both seem fine and I do have spark) so I guess I'm off to check the other areas mentioned here.
Old January 17th, 2013, 01:04 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
@corrupu:
Try a couple of things first. Key the thing to second position twice with a 10 second pause between each one. ten seconds after the second keying try cranking it and see if it catches at all.
This will operate the fuel pump for its start cycle where it runs for a moment before cranking (this gives the fuel rail a charge of pressure). Cycling the key a time or two will assure there is enough rail pressure to fully atomize the cold fuel, rather than having it drizzle out the injectors.
Also be sure that you have a fully charged battery, as low voltage will wreak havok on the ECU.
After you get it started, try the old "Italian tune up" of running a tank or two of premium thru it and driving it floored several times.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 20th, 2013, 02:14 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

I have the same problem when it is raining. If I don't catch the motor on the first attempt it won't start until the excess gas in the chamber evaporates. I am running a mallory unilite ignition but I had the same problem when I ran the lucas. So all the wires, cap etc have been replaced. I am going to replace the injectors just because I think it is time but Bill I will try your cycling on and off thing. Where is the fuel pump relay fuse...in the fuse box behind the shifter or in the engine compartment?
Old January 20th, 2013, 02:57 AM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Have you tried to replicate the problem by spraying water around, and onto the same areas of the truck which get spray from a typical rainshower which blows into your carport? If that works, this might give you more chances to troubleshoot the suggestions given...
Good luck with the issue...
Old January 29th, 2013, 06:43 PM
OahuDefender
Jason
1994 D-90

Fuse is in the fuse box behind the shifter....trust me, I know that one by now. It's the bottom right 7 amp fuse. I now leave the panel off and keep a pair of pliers handy just for taking it out. I replaced the dizzy cap and rotor, and then the other morning (damp dewy weather), it had the same issue. So we can cross that off the list.

As for the other tips, I'll def give the key thing a try. It's doing pretty much the same exact thing a couple other people have mentioned. Wet weather, won't start. Then when I pull the fuel pump relay fuse and start it to burn off the excess fuel, it catches the first time. Replace the fuse and I'm off and going. Any ideas on the correlation between the wet weather and fuel pump relay (i.e. flooding the engine)??

So, now that I know it's not the dizzy cap....next step? I guess I'll just keep throwing some parts at it slowly. It's definitely becoming inconvenient to be sure.
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:59 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
I had a similar issue when I first got my Defender. If the weather was on the wet side (i.e. rain for a couple of hours), then the engine would crank but no luck. It would always start after I ran a hot hairdryer for a couple of minutes on the plug wires, around the coil and the distributor cap.
I got a little tired of the hairdryer thing after a while (mostly when I had to do this at 10pm prior to driving to the MAR.....) and replaced the following items:
- coil
- distributor cap
- rotor arm
- plug wires (new ones re-installed with di-electric grease to keep moisture out)
- spark plugs

never missed a beat since. Since those are items that will need to get replaced, then I'd say, get them, keep them in your part box, next rain, swap the distributor cap (faster than WD40 or hairdryer), if that fails, swap everything one at a time until it works (and keep the old parts as spare, you will need them at some point).
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old February 4th, 2013, 09:35 PM
OahuDefender
Jason
1994 D-90

New update, driving home today in perfectly dry weather (for the past few days), after getting off the highway and driving around 30 mph and less....rough idle and trouble accelerating below 2k rpm. I get jerky acceleration and the car is idling like it's just about to die. Alternator perhaps?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start