Wet weather no-start - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 6th, 2006, 06:38 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Wet weather no-start

Well, it's back.

Honest, I didn't do anything to it. It's been raining here (hood is down), and same symptoms as I had before when I rinsed off the engine. Good fuel, good spark at the coil and at the plugs. I can smell fuel. Once every 20 attempts, it tries to turn over, but just not catching. No ECU codes either. I cranked with the throttle all the way open, and closed.

Any ideas what might be getting wet and where? This is kicking my ass! Fire, fuel, oxygen. I guess it's just not the right combo.

Arg!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2006, 06:58 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
I usually WD40 my dist. cap and dry it out. This takes care of the wet day maladies usually.. But if you're getting spark at the plugs and fuel, it is baffling.. Maybe the big connector on the front of the MAF, this used to cause my truck to die at random times.. It was packed with some kind of tan grease which had dried out and the connections were crap.. I picked it all out and cleaned it as best as I could and repacked it with dielectric grease, this solved my issue with random stalling..

let us know what the deal is, we all gain from each others BS rover problems!

Steve
Old October 6th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

If your ignition switch is going out, it will have that exact same scenario. Have someone check the coil and make sure it is getting the signal from the ignition switch as you are turning it over to make sure the injectors are firing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2006, 07:31 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis
Have someone check the coil and make sure it is getting the signal from the ignition switch as you are turning it over to make sure the injectors are firing.
How do I do that?
Old October 7th, 2006, 09:17 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

My wet engine/no fire was the coil. When it got wet water would seep into the cap for the high voltage lead out of the coil. I used a little silicone caulking and haven't had any more water problems.

I could hear the short but it was easy to find it at night in a dark garage.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start