"Wet" hubs - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 29th, 2007, 12:21 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

"Wet" hubs

As a follow up to my Swivel Shim post. As I am going to rebuild the entire front axle soon with a new housing, new seals etc. I was considering the wet hub option ie. no inner swivel seal or outer hub seal, just everything from outer bearing to outer bearing swimming along in 90 weight. I have not seen this debated in a while. Front bearings are in synthetic bearing grease now and are only a couple of thousand miles old.
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2007, 12:31 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have found that it is difficult to get the hub seal to seal in oil.

YMMV.
Old June 29th, 2007, 12:37 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Even with the RTC3511 seal?
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2007, 12:39 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I'm also interested in changing the front and any input from others woudl be great.

Ron- where is the oil seeping from? are you runing wet hubs in the rear also?
Old June 29th, 2007, 01:31 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Both 90 and 110 are old enough to have "wet" hubs as standard. I've never had a wheel bearing go on either touch wood with over 250,000 miles combined milage
Old June 29th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

I have done that on both D1 & 110 & with a combined milage of over 100k it works well. No probs at all. Make sure you set the seal as stated or you will have a wheel bearing leak.
Bill has an old write up in the FAQ section
Old June 30th, 2007, 06:43 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

great idea.

Naturally though when you contaminate one area they are all swimming in the same (dirty) oil. So its perhaps fine if you change the oil.....allot. Or don't drive the truck in nasty shite (much).

You have to run allot of extra oil in the diff to keep both swivels full and make sure that the axle breathes well or you have big messes.

Also noticed that on my heap the double spring seals have worn some pretty large grooves in the stub axle.

I'll be going back to grease the next time as I can't honestly see the advantage to the "open" system, or the disadvantage to running grease.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old July 1st, 2007, 01:47 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I often run my equiptment at odd angles. No inner seals will let all lubrication to the low side of the angle. It can sometimes be a while before the level will correct itself to lubricate the entire axle. Even a bad or loose inner seal can prevent this somewhat. And a bad seal can prevent the oil to level back out as well.

All something to consider.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old July 1st, 2007, 02:48 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Grease is fine until you get water in it. Do you repack the wheel bearings after a wet off-roading trip?
The oil is flying about all over the place when driving, the diff will whip it all over the axle case. Better to have a little oil out than water in and a seized wheel bearing. I've been in the passenger seat when that's happened, not good
Old July 1st, 2007, 11:03 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
I often run my equiptment at odd angles. No inner seals will let all lubrication to the low side of the angle. It can sometimes be a while before the level will correct itself to lubricate the entire axle. Even a bad or loose inner seal can prevent this somewhat. And a bad seal can prevent the oil to level back out as well.

All something to consider.

JP
Jim, theres no doubt that the oil will flow but what angle would you need to run & for how long to be dry. Dry enough to cause wear?

I have often thought the next time I redo a front I might use the inner swivle seal just to isolate as Matt said.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions