Well now I guess its the Parking Brake - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 1st, 2010, 08:59 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Well now I guess its the Parking Brake

I have been trying to diagnose a problem with a rough running rear end of my truck and I think I have come to the conclusion that its my parking brake. I need some help further diagnosing it though. Is it possible that the brake is somewhat transmission driven. Is I know it is drum based. Is it possible something could have come loose and now inside causing driving problems? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2010, 09:05 AM
discoinjapan
Michael Bruzga
93 D1/ 94 D90 ST/96 D1

Explain rough riding rear end... What symptoms are you having?
Old May 1st, 2010, 10:20 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

It is not possible that anything from the parking brake drum has made it inside your transmission, if that is what you are asking. It literally bolts onto the transfer case and does not share any internals at all. Is it possible that something is inside your parking drum causing the noise? If this is the question, then yeah, that is entirely possible and wickedly easy to check. Pop off the rear prop shaft from the drum and remove the single screw on the face of the drum and the outside will slide right off. You can have that checked and eliminated/confirmed in under 30 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2010, 10:21 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

It's weird

It started as a popping noise on bumps almost like my rear gate was open. Then it turned to a rough jerking ride on smooth roads. The only consistant is the fact that I kept engaging and depressing the parking brake.
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:08 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

This came up recently and apparently the most common cause is the cable being stiff and preventing a full release, pull the centre seatbox plate so you can see things and it'll be pretty obvious, next most common is the release cyl inside the drum sticking which will certainly cause a thump as it releases but either of these should only be once after you disengage the brake by the handle. If it is happening more than once and is the brake then you've got bigger issues. If it is the brake, not a bad time to swap in an X-Brake.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=55685 is the thread where it came up recently.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old May 1st, 2010, 08:24 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
My parking/transmission brake was having issues a while back. I would pull up to a stop and the thing would grind and make all kinds of noise. Finally one day I pulled up in driveway and the thing was smoking hot! I pulled the prop shaft off and took the drum apart and cleaned every part in there and put it all back together. It has been fine ever since.
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:39 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I think it is the wheel bearing after all

Thanks to you all for your help with this but I think it has really come down to be a bad wheel bearing. It did not make many of the usual noises, but it fells like the hub is loose and is spinning almost to loose so I think this is my culprit.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:19 AM
discoinjapan
Michael Bruzga
93 D1/ 94 D90 ST/96 D1

I was thinking either wheel bearing or more likely bushings.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake