Well Here is another overheating Problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 14th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Bikahoga
Brett
1994/D-90

Well Here is another overheating Problem

Ok I need help too.

I have been running a 94 D-90 for a few years and last year out of the blue it started to overheat a little. I that week had the Radiator flushed and new coolant put in also had the fan clutch checked. Well it help a little for a while but then during the winter (2Months Later) it stated rising again, never going all the way into the red but right up to it. Now it does not seem to do it all the time just here and there an never when I want it to. I have now changed the Thermostat and have also had 2 placeís do a coolant check to check for gases in the coolant and they checked out fine.I want to make sure it was not a blown Head gasket ?? Now what, could it be the catalytic converters?, or do I put in a new radiator? New water pump? Help this is killing me ÖAny ideas

Thanks

Brett

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2007, 04:59 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Chemically flushing the radiator will not remove a lot of the deposits that form inside the tubes. These deposits come from the aluminum block of the V-8 and its usually mileage dependent (around 100K miles). You need to have the radiator "rodded". The radiator shop removes the tanks from the radiator and physically runs a flat steel bar through the individual tubes in the core. Sometimes if the core is really corroded (like my Range Rover was) the rod will punch right through the sides of the tubes and its recore time. That was right around $285 for my Range Rover. That's what I would try first - rodding a radiator should cost around $110.
Old August 14th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Bikahoga
Brett
1994/D-90

The truck just hit 99500k so maybe I will take it to the rad shop, I did notice that on the fan side of the rad it is beging to crumble and rust? would it be cheaper in the long run to put in a new rad then to maintanace one that is just begining to fall apart?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2007, 05:54 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Yes, definitely. Depending on how and where you drive, you might even invest in a custom radiator with additional cores.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old August 14th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Brett, there's a good radiator shop here in Alexandria that you could try, though if it's that far gone it may well new one. And Chris is right, it may be a good opportunity to upgrade (and cheaper, too).

Good luck,

Tony
Old August 14th, 2007, 10:56 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

mine was waterpump

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
overheating