Welding help near LA - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 26th, 2010, 06:05 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Welding help near LA

I'm headed down the road of doing a toy conversion which seems mostly straight forward except for the part where you have to cut apart your dif housing and weld a new bit on to make room for the larger 3rd...

not really too bad except for the part where I can't weld...

So...

does anyone know a good welder (that's also not too expensive) in the LA area?

I already have the 3rds but can't move forward until I know how I'm going to get the welding done...
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris View Post
I'm headed down the road of doing a toy conversion which seems mostly straight forward except for the part where you have to cut apart your dif housing and weld a new bit on to make room for the larger 3rd...

not really too bad except for the part where I can't weld...

So...

does anyone know a good welder (that's also not too expensive) in the LA area?

I already have the 3rds but can't move forward until I know how I'm going to get the welding done...
Tell me EXACTLY what you need welded. If it's something that I can bang out without more than an hour into it I can do it the weekend after this one. I really am losing my mind though.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:26 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
Tell me EXACTLY what you need welded. If it's something that I can bang out without more than an hour into it I can do it the weekend after this one. I really am losing my mind though.
dude... take care of yourself first (seriously). If you don't have time you don't have time I fully understand I'm just too inept to actually weld anything so I'm looking for help.

the only part of this that requires welding is putting on the new sewercap that fits the toy 3rd in the rover housing so 4 beads I guess one inside and one outside for both housings...

I'm not even sure I'm going to be ready for this weekend after next. I figure I get the parts taken off this weekend send them to Keith for milling he does his thing sends me the parts back plus shipping each way... I'm probably three weeks out in a best case scenerio at least...

plus I still need to get my sliders sorted
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

If you do all the cutting, grinding, prepping, I'll put a pretty bead on there for you. A month out things should be a little better for me.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 27th, 2010, 11:27 AM
jvelador
Javier Velador
'95 D90 / '66 IIA

Not sure how close you are to the San Fernando Valley, but a stone's throw from TLC (Toy Land Cruiser rebuilder) is Ed's Welding. It's on Kester Avenue at Oxnard St.

They fixed a badly tweaked D90 rear ladder, mated a D90 rear tire carrier to my Series IIA, little things like that. Not too expensive. Google 'em, give 'em a call.

Old May 27th, 2010, 11:30 AM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Thanks Dave... I'd say this party is on then

------ Follow up post added May 27th, 2010 08:37 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvelador View Post
Not sure how close you are to the San Fernando Valley, but a stone's throw from TLC (Toy Land Cruiser rebuilder) is Ed's Welding. It's on Kester Avenue at Oxnard St.

They fixed a badly tweaked D90 rear ladder, mated a D90 rear tire carrier to my Series IIA, little things like that. Not too expensive. Google 'em, give 'em a call.
Cool... I'm going to have to completely pull my axles for this anyway so that wouldn't be too bad for me at all. If Dave ends up being too busy Ed's sounds like a good alternative...
Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:10 AM
LFORGUE8
Lucas Forgue
2011 Rangie

Im in the process of doing this as well and im trying to do the welding myself......the studs need to be welded in first....then "adjustments" to the studs to fit the diff then the cap welded

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions