Weird turn signal problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 11th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
Weird turn signal problem

When I use my turn signals, both the left and right blink, with the one that shouldn't be illuminated being dimmer than the other. I switched to LED bulbs 2 weeks ago, but they weren't doing this until today. What could cause this problem?

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I suspect it might: yesterday, I did replace my reverse light and fog light with NAS round blinths and LED bulbs and had to reverse the wiring to get the bulbs to work. I didn't have to do this with any of the other bulbs.

- Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I had to reverse the rear wiring as well AND I had to install resistors for the front turn signals as well. I may actually have a spare set of resistors laying around if you want them. Did you change the flasher relay to an LED one? That needs to be done as well.
Old July 11th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
I had to reverse the rear wiring as well AND I had to install resistors for the front turn signals as well. I may actually have a spare set of resistors laying around if you want them. Did you change the flasher relay to an LED one? That needs to be done as well.
All of the LED bulbs swapped in and worked without issue, with the exception of the reverse and fog lights. I replaced the stock flasher relay with the LED relay from superbrightleds.

To get the reverse and fog lights to work with the LED bulbs, I had to reverse the polarity. I did this yesterday, and the problem with the turn signals didn't start until today.

- Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
I'm wondering if the problem could be with the flasher relay from superbrightleds. The flashers worked properly when I first installed the LED flasher relay, and only started acting up in the last few days. I read a few other posts regarding LEDs and I recall someone mentioning a faulty flasher relay from them. I am going to plug in the old stock relay and see if the turn signals operate properly, albeit at the faster rate due to the LEDs.

Any thoughts from you guys?

- Jon
Old July 12th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

So before you installed LEDs on brake and reverse lights all four turn signals work properly at the same time? I still think you need resistors. It is possible that it is irrelevant that it worked initially so don't necessarily get hung up on that. Either that or it's a faulty relay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller

All of the LED bulbs swapped in and worked without issue, with the exception of the reverse and fog lights. I replaced the stock flasher relay with the LED relay from superbrightleds.

To get the reverse and fog lights to work with the LED bulbs, I had to reverse the polarity. I did this yesterday, and the problem with the turn signals didn't start until today.
Old July 12th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
I left the LED flasher relay in place and removed the side repeater LED bulbs and replaced them with incandescent bulbs, and the the turn signals worked just fine again. As soon as I put the LED bulb back in, it started dimly flashing on the side that shouldn't be flashing. So the culprit is the LEDs in the side repeaters. Can anyone explain what this means? I'm going to keep the incandescent bulbs in the side repeaters for now.

- Jon
Old July 12th, 2012, 10:06 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
As Carl already said, you need resistors. I'll bet you put LEDs all the way around. If you only had LEDs in the back and left the normal ones in the front I bet you wouldn't have the same issue.
Old July 12th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I think what it means is that the current in the turn signal / side repeater circuit (since they are all on the same circuit) drop too low when you add all LEDs for the system to be able to detect it. It either believes that a bulb is out (fast repeat) or simply goes crazy. The only way to fix that is to add one resistor behind each front turn signal (total of 2). The resistors will create more resistance in the circuit and the above issue is corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller
I left the LED flasher relay in place and removed the side repeater LED bulbs and replaced them with incandescent bulbs, and the the turn signals worked just fine again. As soon as I put the LED bulb back in, it started dimly flashing on the side that shouldn't be flashing. So the culprit is the LEDs in the side repeaters. Can anyone explain what this means? I'm going to keep the incandescent bulbs in the side repeaters for now.
Old July 12th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I have a new spare set of resistors available if you want them. I believe they were $5 a piece or something like that.
Old July 13th, 2012, 12:58 AM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
I have a new spare set of resistors available if you want them. I believe they were $5 a piece or something like that.
How you install the resistors on the wire? Are they like butt-splice connectors?

- Jon
Old July 13th, 2012, 01:08 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I think they come with some lame plastic clip you put the wires in but those types of connectors are garbage if you ask me. I used Ancor heat shrink connectors and Ancor heat shrink tubing so that's what I would recommend. Do it right and never worry about it again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
signal