Weird Jerk in the steering wheel - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 27th, 2010, 12:56 AM
RngRovaClassic
Chris Williams
1995 Classic

Weird Jerk in the steering wheel

So i'm driving home the day after mudding and i noticed my car was making a squeaking sound from underneath. i figure i'll look at it tomorrow when I wake up. Five minutes later my car just pulls really hard to the right. i was on a flat paved road in the center lane. no pot holes no nothing. Anyone know what this might be? also i applied the brake after it jerked and the pedal was pumping up and down. brand new brakes and rotors so i have no clue. i want to try to narrow it down before i start tearing apart the front axle. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2010, 07:19 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

sounds like you might have been sleep driving?
you may have broken a CV and with the BW t-case you might not know it until it binds up inside the swivel.....which will also raise hell with the ABS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old April 27th, 2010, 07:52 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

Another thing to check is that sometimes a rock will get stuck just ahead of or between the brake pads and cause a screeching noise and may even interfer with caliper operation. Also check for a bent mudshield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2010, 10:18 AM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RngRovaClassic View Post
Weird Jerk [behind] the steering wheel
Yes well... you really can't stop people from buying these things... never know what kind of jerks you'll end up with
Old April 27th, 2010, 11:46 AM
RngRovaClassic
Chris Williams
1995 Classic

thanks guys i'll check it out. bharris, very nice. i like your work. sorry but i also forgot to add that sometimes when i would take a turn, not always, there was a loud POPPING sound. if i did brake a cv, oh well, i ordered some HD ones from rovertracks last week.
Old April 27th, 2010, 02:33 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RngRovaClassic View Post
thanks guys i'll check it out. bharris, very nice. i like your work. sorry but i also forgot to add that sometimes when i would take a turn, not always, there was a loud POPPING sound. if i did brake a cv, oh well, i ordered some HD ones from rovertracks last week.
Definately sounds like a broken CV. When replacing the CV check the spindle bearings, they might've gotten damaged also. I just replaced a broken CV for a guy in CT and fortunatley I brought along an extra spindle with me, his bearing was toast.

Good luck.
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:28 PM
RngRovaClassic
Chris Williams
1995 Classic

i just pulled off the hub on the front right and the cv is fine but the bearing just fell apart when i pulled the hub off. they are all grinded up and bent so i ordered some new ones off roversnorth. it sounded like the popping sound was coming from the drivers side cv so i'll have to pull that off next and see if it's broken.

------ Follow up post added April 27th, 2010 03:34 PM ------

i just pulled the other cv out. it's in great condition and so is the wheel bearing but i'm going to replace all of them anyway. i'm guessing it was that wheel bearing on the passenger side that made me swerve.

------ Follow up post added April 27th, 2010 03:37 PM ------

i just saw the name hardy spicer ltd on my cv's. is that the brand used by land rover in 1995 or is that aftermarket?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wheel