weird brake lights - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 16th, 2006, 08:41 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

weird brake lights

Got a problem with my brake lights I cannot explain. When the LIghts are off, my passenger side brake light does not come on but the driver does. WHen the lights are on, the passenger does nothing and the driver side turns off. If the brake pedal is not depressed both lights are on just fine. The third brake light is fine. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I'd get a buddy to come over, get in there with a test light, and see if everything is wired correctly. the harness comes up on the passenger side, behind the speaker, and there are some connections in there that may have gotten screwed up somehow.

Where in NY are you anyways?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 16th, 2006, 09:24 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, my dash lights are wierding out too when the headlights are on - at first they only came on when i depressed the brake pedal, now they dont come on at all. There is also taillight involvement. And I'm using a completely different non-nas harness that is only a year old. I'm pretty sure its a simple ground fault since electrical gremlins are most often caused by a bad ground. I just havent had the time to troubleshoot it yet - but I'd love to hear what it was if you get it solved first!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2006, 02:22 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I am in Nyack, Ny right by the tappan Zee bridge. I'll check the harness on the passenger side and see what's up. I looked in the wheel well and all the wires coming out of the taillights are hanging right there. Seems like a silly design given all the mud, road debris, water and other crap that spins off the wheels.
Old April 17th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Scott 9835
Scott Falter
95 D90

Change the bulbs. Sounds like the brake lights and running lights filments broke and is touching each other. So when the lights are on, they work ok, but when you hit the brakes the bulb backfeeds shutting the light off. I have seen it before. Hope this helps.

Scott

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, ht, lights