Webasto troubleshooting - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 4th, 2016, 10:58 AM
edfest
Ed Mistler
88 D-110 station wagon 2.5TD

Webasto troubleshooting

My Webasto stopped working

It was working fine, then I had the timing and fan belts replaced, and now the webasto shuts off after a minute or two.
The fan comes on, the circulating pump starts, a puff of exhaust comes out, the fuel pump starts clicking in the back. Then the fuel pump shuts off and the fan goes through the shut down cycle.
All in about 2-3 minutes.

There doesn't seem to be any problem with the coolant level (no gurgling/bubbles, etc).
The air intake and exhaust are both clear.

The only thing I've noticed, is there are small bubbles in the fuel line that seem to clear as the fuel pump gets up to speed. I'm not sure if that is normal? and I don't know if the bubbles could cause a flame out, causing the system to shut down? and where would the bubbles come from/how can I bleed them out?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I have a Webasto thermo top E on a 2.5TD.

-Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2016, 11:07 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Make sure there are no leaks in the fuel lines. Any air can cause a flame out during start-up. Replace the fuel filter. When they get clogged, the units won't start up. Most likely one or the other. If it is something else, you either need to take it apart and test each part to connect to a computer and check for error codes.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 4th, 2016, 11:22 AM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

One condition you could be experiencing is a bubble in coolant lines, causing the circulating pump to bind, or pump air. With no coolant flow through the unit, it rapidly comes up to temp then shuts itself down because it thinks that it has done its job.

One way to bench test it while still installed is to take off the inlet line to the circulating pump and use a piece of old hose with a 2 liter soda bottle attached to it (with the bottom cut off - giant funnel). Next take off the hose before it goes back into the engine and direct this to a 5 gallon bucket. Raise the giant funnel to the windscreen, bungee it to your door/roof rack/roll bar and fill it. Fire up the webasto and see if it sucks the funnel down. Be ready to fill it as it pumps down relatively quickly. If you have a small bucket, you can take the water coming from the outlet and pour it back into your homemade funnel. Best done with a helper who can film you as you try to keep the funnel full of water before it goes low out of sight, or simply helps fill the funnel.

Who needs a webasto with the winter we're having though!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2016, 11:48 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
He is not describing a lack of coolant shut down. It is a flame failure during startup.

Old February 4th, 2016, 04:55 PM
edfest
Ed Mistler

Thank you for the tips!

I've read about fuel filters with the webasto, but I assumed I didn't have one.
What do they look like?

My fuel line/pump appears to come right off the tank... But then the line gets lost and covered by copious waxoil (as does the actual pump).

I'm also leaning toward a fuel delivery problem, or flame issue.
I considered a bubble in the coolant system, and I still haven't eliminated it.
I will have to try the pump test.

And the only reason I need the webasto, is it significantly decreases the amount of smoke I generate on startup! Which decreases the number of glares I get from hipsters and bicyclists
Old February 4th, 2016, 05:29 PM
scrubs
henery

Sometimes this happens with mine n always turns out to be low battery.
Old February 4th, 2016, 05:32 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If it does not have a fuel filter, you will have a lot more problems than you want. It is a small inline filter.

That is true that if the voltage drops too low, it will cut out.

Old March 14th, 2016, 10:07 PM
edfest
Ed Mistler

Update:

It was the webasto fuel pump. It was making lots of noise, but apparently pumping fuel inconsistently. The new pump is quiet, and consistent. Just in time for summer!

(unfortunately, now the engine doesn't start but I suspect a bad wire leading to the solenoid... at least, I hope its a bad wire leading to the solenoid)

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
webasto