Webasto thermotop C fuel source - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 24th, 2011, 07:49 PM
sundogcwolfe
Charles R. Wolfe
1984 110, 300Tdi

Webasto thermotop C fuel source

Need help running fuel to my new used Webasto thermotop C.

Vehicle 1985 RHD 110CSW with 300tdi
Mechanical fuel pump
Fuel tank in rear. Pickup and sender (combined unit) left side of tank.

So I have read about the options, separate pickup, additional line off sedimenter etc.

Help and pictures would be greatly appreciated

1) If I run separate pickup from tank, where is the best location and any tricks on how to do it?

2) comments on addiing a sedimenter and running a second line frome sedimenter?

3) suggestions and or pictures of best place to mount the unit in the engine bay and where to tap into the coolant lines?

Help really needed. Engine takes forever to warm up despite grill muff. No it is not the thermostat. Or so it seems as I have replaced it twice.

It is Minnesota, colder than a Wiccan mammary gland, and I want warm toes and better engine longevity

Thanks!
Cwolfe

Ps. Any pictures of sedimenter in a 110 also appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I'm running on my prefilter/sedimenter in the rear engine well. I can take a picture tomorrow. no problems even while engine is running.
Old January 24th, 2011, 09:21 PM
sundogcwolfe
Charles R. Wolfe
1984 110, 300Tdi

That would be awesome. Thank you.d
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2011, 10:19 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
I have a separate line for my webastos from the fuel tank. I used the pick up pipe that is located on the side where the fill up tubing goes on my 110. From that line I have a splitter (kinda "Y" pipe) to give fuel to my second webasto (cab heater). I didn't want to mess around with the fuel line that goes to the engine. The webasto don't need a fuel filter.
Old January 24th, 2011, 11:54 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

On the top of the tank there is a little nipple that you cut away with cutting pliers.

You have to drop the tank. Once you insert the stand pipe you (it should be a little long) you will have to cut it. I have mine picking up about 4 inches off the bottom.

I mounted the pump in the rear of the truck. When the webasto was all ready to go I took the hose at the webasto end and dipped it into a jar of fuel and siphoned it back to the pump, then quickly hooked it up. The guys at Webasto said this was the most important part (so not to burn out the pump). I will try to find my Defender specific install directions..

You can put an inline fuel filter in if you want. Most people don't.
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundogcwolfe
That would be awesome. Thank you.d
Here you go. Right rear wheel well. I have a racor prefilter/separator. It has two entry and exit ports each (total 4). Engine only needs 1 pair, so I tapped the 2nd exit port to plumb forward to the Webasto pump. You can see the Webasto line in the picture. It's the small line that exits rearward then wraps forward, and has the clamps on it.

My front racor in the engine compartment has a 12v heated filterhead, but I intend to swap with front, so I can heat the fuel going to the Webasto if ever needed, the let the engine heat from the Webasto heat the fuel forward in extreme cold weather. Would have to be pretty cold for that though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3040213803.png
Views:	225
Size:	878.6 KB
ID:	35158  

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old January 25th, 2011, 07:20 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Here is a couple manuals for your reference. On page 13 you will see the nipple that you cut. It is not a big deal. I did not disconnect the lines coming off the tank when I did it. I just lowered the tank down far enough to reach in and do it.

I would also take the time to wrap the exhaust pipe with kevlar or muffler wrap with stainless wire as that mo-fo gets hot.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 67505D[1].pdf (676.3 KB, 156 views)
File Type: pdf Thermotop_C.pdf (484.4 KB, 153 views)
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Hi. I'm in the market for a Thermo Top C. A couple of questions.

1. What can I expect to pay for a new kit? Any recommendations for where to find a good deal?
2. Anyone have experience running Biodiesel with them? According to Webasto B20 should be fine.
3. Is it critical that it is installed inline with heater (right wing on a LHD) ? Could I mount it further forward where the AC compressor used to be (300tdi w no AC)?
4. A direct line to fuel tank is necessary if I want to run it with ignition off, right?
Old November 19th, 2012, 09:36 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Hi. I'm in the market for a Thermo Top C. A couple of questions.

1. What can I expect to pay for a new kit? Any recommendations for where to find a good deal?
2. Anyone have experience running Biodiesel with them? According to Webasto B20 should be fine.
3. Is it critical that it is installed inline with heater (right wing on a LHD) ? Could I mount it further forward where the AC compressor used to be (300tdi w no AC)?
4. A direct line to fuel tank is necessary if I want to run it with ignition off, right?
1. About 1k on eBay... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Webasto-Ther...43c826&vxp=mtr

2. Un-sure

3. Yes you can mount it anywere as long as the hoses reach...

4. I would recommend dropping the tank and using a dedicated source for the fuel. I run mine quite a bit during the winter when the ignition is off. You can put an inline fuel filter if you want. Just make sure your drive time is twice as long (roughly) than you run the webasto. This is to allow the battery to recharge.

A few other tips:

1. Look into the remote start (so you can start it without going outside). You just have to remember to have the heater switch in the on position
2. When you "prime" the fuel line siphon fuel from the webasto to the fuel pump (gravity will help) This makes the pump work less during the first run
3. Don't remove the caps off the pump until you are ready to hook the line up. It is already primed
4. Wrap the exhaust pipe with insulation and wire wrap it. It gets really hot.
5. Run the webasto once a month in the summer.
6. Insulate the fuel line that is provided with either 3/8 fuel hose or 5/16, can't remember at this point.
Old November 19th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I have a Racor pre-filter separator in my right rear wheel well in addition to my main racor filter under the bonnet. I T'd off the filter output on my pre-filter and ran straight to the webasto and have not had any issue running the webasto either with engine off, or running at the same time as I'm driving. running straight from the separator seems to act as a fuel capacitor of sorts from a supply standpoint.

Old November 19th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks for the advice!

That's the unit I was going to bid on so hopefully it doesn't jack up the selling price by advertising it here

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
1. About 1k on eBay... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Webasto-Ther...43c826&vxp=mtr

2. Un-sure

3. Yes you can mount it anywere as long as the hoses reach...

4. I would recommend dropping the tank and using a dedicated source for the fuel. I run mine quite a bit during the winter when the ignition is off. You can put an inline fuel filter if you want. Just make sure your drive time is twice as long (roughly) than you run the webasto. This is to allow the battery to recharge.

A few other tips:

1. Look into the remote start (so you can start it without going outside). You just have to remember to have the heater switch in the on position
2. When you "prime" the fuel line siphon fuel from the webasto to the fuel pump (gravity will help) This makes the pump work less during the first run
3. Don't remove the caps off the pump until you are ready to hook the line up. It is already primed
4. Wrap the exhaust pipe with insulation and wire wrap it. It gets really hot.
5. Run the webasto once a month in the summer.
6. Insulate the fuel line that is provided with either 3/8 fuel hose or 5/16, can't remember at this point.
Old November 19th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I assume the Thermo Top have its own lift pump then? I have a Stanadyne fuel filter in the stock location with 4 connections (only two used currently) and I also have a stock sedimentor under the rear wheel well. Good to know that is an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I have a Racor pre-filter separator in my right rear wheel well in addition to my main racor filter under the bonnet. I T'd off the filter output on my pre-filter and ran straight to the webasto and have not had any issue running the webasto either with engine off, or running at the same time as I'm driving. running straight from the separator seems to act as a fuel capacitor of sorts from a supply standpoint.
Old November 19th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
My webasto is a LR factory or dealer installed Freelander thermotop z/c I bought off ebay.uk. you can get some good deals on them there, but you'll have to buy a separate wiring harness and fuel pump, which you can get from webasto easily enough. I think my setup came in under $700 parting it together.

Old November 19th, 2012, 11:24 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
My webasto is a LR factory or dealer installed Freelander thermotop z/c I bought off ebay.uk. you can get some good deals on them there, but you'll have to buy a separate wiring harness and fuel pump, which you can get from webasto easily enough. I think my setup came in under $700 parting it together.
There is a Defender friendly harness. It matches up to the heater relays/ controls well.

I will see if I can find a part number.
Old November 19th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks! So perhaps better to get the harness and heater unit separately then? Will the Chevy Silverado (Duramax) kit on ebay fit a Defender?
Old November 19th, 2012, 11:47 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Thanks! So perhaps better to get the harness and heater unit separately then? Will the Chevy Silverado (Duramax) kit on ebay fit a Defender?
Yes.
Old November 19th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Yes, get it separate or yes it will fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Yes.
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:02 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Yes, get it separate or yes it will fit?
It should fit. Basically all you need is to hook up a constant 12 volt wire to the unit in the relays and also one that is in the acc line. This allows the webasto to use the heater controls when the keys are not in the on position. Once the key is put on the relays switch an you have control of the heater. If you want you can send me your number and I can explain in further detail. I have installed about 20 plus webastos in the past 8 years...
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
I assume the Thermo Top have its own lift pump then? I have a Stanadyne fuel filter in the stock location with 4 connections (only two used currently) and I also have a stock sedimentor under the rear wheel well. Good to know that is an option.
Yes, it has its own fuel pump. You can pull from the fuel filter. The only problem arises if there are any, even small air leaks in the engine fuel system. As the fuel filter is the high point, air goes there. Any air and the Webasto will fault out when trying to start. That is the main reason why people run dedicated fuel lines. Any air in the line causes a failed start.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
These were brand new at $250 and came with a pump..... Unfortunately NLA.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel, webasto