Webasto Install Location - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 5th, 2014, 12:22 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Webasto Install Location

I'm considering installing my Webasto inside the passenger-side side compartment. I don't use these for anything and figured it would be an out-of-the-way location. This way I wouldn't have to relocate the window washer bottle as others have done.

One downside would be the increased amount of coolant line that would have to be run, therefore increasing my chances of getting a leak in my primary coolant system. To offset this, I thought about installing shutoff valves that would be shut when I "summerized" it.

Also, the holes in the side of my Webasto are not threaded. Should they be? Am I supposed to tap these? Seems strange.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Webasto LR1.jpg
Views:	1394
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	104256  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 5th, 2014, 12:59 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I think the holes in your Webasto are for bolts that go all the way through.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 5th, 2014, 03:03 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

The bolt that come with the install kit are self tapping. Make sure you use those bolts only.

Old October 5th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
The Webasto should be in line between the zylinder head cooling system and the heater.
Don't shut this line off by valves! Even don't think about it.
Old October 5th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Shut off valves are probably a good idea in case of a leak, but you could also just loop the hose back to the pipes to bypass the aux heater. I wouldn't cut off flow in the summer, the increase coolant capacity would be a good thing in my opinion.
Old October 5th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
There is nothing wrong with a valve. That is how a disco is stock.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old October 15th, 2014, 01:13 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Okay, decided to go with the engine bay location. Bracket is done. Now have some more questions that came up.

1. Plumbing. Best concensus is to plumb it in at the heater matrix. I'm going with the line that's closest to the bulkhead. If anyone can confirm this, that would be great.

2. Fuel. I've read an article where the fuel line was T'd off the fuel supply in the engine bay for supply, and a check valve was used on the return line. Others have ran an independant line directly from the fuel tank. I have a stock ExMOD set up right now. I have a SWEET Robert Davis seperator waiting to go in along with a 12V fuel pump, but that's in the future. Sounds like I'm talking myself into a direct line from the fuel tank, just didn't want to have to drop the tank. My question is if I decided to go from the engine bay by t'ing off the fuel supply, will I still be able to run the Webasto while the engine is running, or will that cause all sorts of problems between the Webasto and the engine?

3. Power. I've read about the option to wire it into my heater fan to allow cab heating once the unit reaches a set temp. I also want to be able to run it while the engine is running. I'm confused about how this is wired to the heater. Do I wire the Webasto directly to the HI SPEEED fan wiring? If that's the case, what will happen when the Webasto is running along with the engine and the driver switches the fan to LO SPEED? Sounds like it would damage the blower motor.

Thanks guys.
Old October 15th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
1. You want it in the heater supply line. Which engine are we talking about?

2. You can tee in anywhere. As long as there are no air leaks, it will work. The return line goes to the bottom of the tank, so no extra valving is needed. A separate supply line is "better" as there are less chance of something not working one day when a small air leak develops. See the Webasto manual for limitations and guidance on correct installation.

3. Have you looked at the Webasto installation manual? Wiring diagrams are in there. Basically......the signal from the Webasto control a relay. The relay is a 5 pin that goes into the power supply for the heater fan. With the relay off, normal switched power runs the heater fan. With the relay on, unswitched power powers the fan and the switched supply is disconnected. Fan speed is always controlled by the in cab switch regardless of operation. In a Defender, the fan is switched on the ground side not the power side.

Carefully read the manual. It is very thorough.

Old October 15th, 2014, 01:35 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Anyone doing a Webasto/Eberspaercher install needs to check out this thread:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic14809.html

This guy dgardel actually annotates the factory Webasto manual to make it Defender-specific. It is for a Puma, but the same principles apply. Lots of good discussion about non-return valves and fuel pick-ups etc.

Old October 15th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Attached is the page of the manual with the wiring diagram.

K3 - Relay to control heater fan.
M3 - Heater Fan.
S2 - Fan speed switch (in a Defender)

30 - Unswitched 12V
(75) 15 - Switched 12V
31 - Ground
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pages from Thermotop_C.pdf (49.1 KB, 74 views)

Old October 15th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
This guy dgardel actually annotates the factory Webasto manual to make it Defender-specific. It is for a Puma, but the same principles apply. Lots of good discussion about non-return valves and fuel pick-ups etc.
Keep in mind that discussing fuel supply for a TD5 or Puma is a whole other kettle of fish compared to the earlier engines.

Old October 15th, 2014, 01:51 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj View Post
I'm considering installing my Webasto inside the passenger-side side compartment. I don't use these for anything and figured it would be an out-of-the-way location. This way I wouldn't have to relocate the window washer bottle as others have done.

One downside would be the increased amount of coolant line that would have to be run, therefore increasing my chances of getting a leak in my primary coolant system. To offset this, I thought about installing shutoff valves that would be shut when I "summerized" it.

Also, the holes in the side of my Webasto are not threaded. Should they be? Am I supposed to tap these? Seems strange.

Thoughts?

Please take the time to read the manual. I think it states that you should run the unit once a month during the summer to cycle it.
Old October 15th, 2014, 02:14 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Neil:
When you plumb the lines use a T fitting so that the coolant feed hose splits and makes a left and right turn.
Do the same with the return.
Don't take a straight with a right or left connection added as the coolant will keep straight and not make the turn.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old October 15th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Neil:
When you plumb the lines use a T fitting -------------
------ ----
| |
So that the coolant feed hose splits and has to make a left and right turn.
Do not use
Not sure what this is meant to mean.... The Webasto coolant lines should be plumbed into the middle of the heater supply line, so that the hot water from the Webasto goes into the heater matrix.

Old October 15th, 2014, 02:58 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

I'm going with John's plan and pipe it in series with the heater core. No Tee's.

This is going in a 2.5NA.

Manual says to operate once per month for 20 minutes.

I think I'll drop the tank this weekend and run a dedicated line. That will also allow me to pull out the MOD sedimenter and run a line to the new and improved sedimenter and install a 12V pump.

Why does every project seem like an eternity? I will probably get this done just in time for summer.
Old October 15th, 2014, 03:01 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Okay. The heater supply line is the one that comes from the back of the head.

I'm not sure there is a need to run it every month. I've never had problems. If there is air in the fuel line, it can take a couple of cycles to get going. Make sure it has a clean fuel filter. Change it every couple of years if you use it a fair bit.

Old October 15th, 2014, 03:38 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I would comment, but everything John B. said is spot on.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old October 15th, 2014, 03:39 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

You should fill the fuel line before hooking it up. I had a helper hold a siphon bottle in the engine compartment and I siphoned it back to the pump. This will help you get it fired up quicker.
Old October 15th, 2014, 04:04 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The Webasto coolant lines should be plumbed into the middle of the heater supply line, so that the hot water from the Webasto goes into the heater matrix.
True if you plan to run the webasto and stock coolant heater at the same time all the time.
If you use the webasto to pre-heat the engine and then switch it off when driving, then you can use a coolant split like I mentioned earlier.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old October 18th, 2014, 08:12 AM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

As I was starting to drop my tank this morning, I found this blanked off tube on the RH side of my tank. Is this a dip tube? That I could use for my webasto?

It's an ExMOD truck.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tank 1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	105237   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank 2.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	105238  

Name:	tank 3.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	105239  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
webasto