Webasto Install Location - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 18th, 2014, 08:35 AM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,16 Disco Sport

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj View Post
As I was starting to drop my tank this morning, I found this blanked off tube on the RH side of my tank. Is this a dip tube? That I could use for my webasto?

It's an ExMOD truck.

Thanks.
On my 110 that was the fuel return from when it was a 2.5 petrol. I reused it as the fuel return when I did the engine conversion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2014, 08:44 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I think that's only a return port...if you take the cap off it and apply vacuum and get fuel you might be good...but make sure you only have a small amount in your tank".... They do make a special filler neck for the defender that has a dpi tube on it... Or if that piece you are touching isn't very deep you can install some flexible plastic tubing into it..the webasto doesn't use much fuel so it doesn't need a big tube..
Old October 18th, 2014, 09:13 AM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Yes, only a return line. I put a tube on it with suction and could only hear the vent at the filler hissing. No diesel in my mouth.

The webasto tube will fit inside it and I can get it in the tank, but the flexible line only curls up in the tank.

Only one way to do this...the right way. The time is what's killing me. I know I'm preaching to the choir here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
So you are adding a webasto to your son's truck so he can ride his buddies around in comfort this winter while you are @ sea ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 18th, 2014, 09:44 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Neil, to test let the fuel get real low and then try and draw some out of that blanked off fitting.
If you get fuel out, then you'll know that tube actually goes to the tank bottom.
If you don't get any fuel out you could keep trying as you fill up the tank.
If no joy until it is full, you'll know not to use it as it's probably just a line for a vent or fuel return.
Hope this helps.
Robert

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old October 18th, 2014, 09:48 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Neil, to test let the fuel get real low and then try and draw some out of that blanked off fitting.
If you get fuel out, then you'll know that tube actually goes to the tank bottom.
If you don't get any fuel out you could keep trying as you fill up the tank.
If no joy until it is full, you'll know not to use it as it's probably just a line for a vent or fuel return.
Hope this helps.
Robert
Better late than never...ay Robert..
Old October 18th, 2014, 10:10 AM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Pretty much. On shore duty now. Which means it will be a mild winter with no snow.

All I want to do is destroy snow with my 47" JD snow blower while the Rover is defrosting itself.

I was quite pleased on how easily the jate rings came off this morning. I hope that's an indication of how the tank will come out. It's homecoming today though, so the whole family is going in 5 different directions. I'm trying to do this without taking the Rover off the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
So you are adding a webasto to your son's truck so he can ride his buddies around in comfort this winter while you are @ sea ?
Old October 18th, 2014, 02:54 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj View Post
Pretty much. On shore duty now. Which means it will be a mild winter with no snow.

All I want to do is destroy snow with my 47" JD snow blower while the Rover is defrosting itself.

I was quite pleased on how easily the jate rings came off this morning. I hope that's an indication of how the tank will come out. It's homecoming today though, so the whole family is going in 5 different directions. I'm trying to do this without taking the Rover off the road.
Careful what you wish for brother Neil. Forecast is for a brutal winter. The farmers around here are baling up the fall weeds just to have additional hay in the event the forecast is right.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old October 26th, 2014, 07:02 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Attached is the page of the manual with the wiring diagram. K3 - Relay to control heater fan. M3 - Heater Fan. S2 - Fan speed switch (in a Defender) 30 - Unswitched 12V (75) 15 - Switched 12V 31 - Ground
John, my manual is attached. I don't have a K3 relay in my setup. Am I out of luck here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1142172070.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	105745  
Old October 26th, 2014, 07:15 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You have to add a relay. The schematic just shows you how to do it. It is just a regular relay.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old October 26th, 2014, 08:06 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Understand John. My understanding was that the vehicle fan only came on once it reached a certain temp. Is that controlled by X2?
Old October 26th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Pin 4 of the X1 (6 pin) plug controls the heater fan. Yes, the heater fan is turned on when the coolant leaving the webasto reaches 30 C.

Old October 27th, 2014, 11:06 AM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

After reading John's response about pin 4, I was concerned that my unit wasn't smart enough to send a signal to the realy since my harness didn't have 3 fuses or the realy to start with. I called Webasto this morning and this what I found out:

1. My pin 4 should send a signal, I just have to get a connector to it. I'm looking into a connector repair kit that has the individual connections in it, but it's 70 GBP. I'm going to try a local electronics warehouse first. The difference between my harness and the one John describes is that mine has only 2 fuses on it and no relay. When I asked the technician about it, he said that mine was the "heavy duty kit" and the other was the "light duty kit". Not sure why, but when he told me that my logic board was smart enough to send a signal from pin 4 to the relay, that's all I cared about.

2. Webasto TSL 17 and Thermo Top C are the same thing. The TSL 17 is just the kit that contains the Thermo Top C. If you're searching for a heater, this can sometimes be confusing on how they are being listed.

Performance: I finished the install (minus wiring in the vehicle fan) yesterday. This morning it was 48F. I know, not cold. When I approached the Rover, I could only hear the circulating pump running on the Webasto and didn't feel any heat from the exhaust tube. I thought it wasn't working until I opened the hood and took some temps. 135F - 150F on the block. Instant start up and instant heat. It had just got to temp and didn't need to fire anymore. I am going to adjust the run time down for tomorrow. Supposed to be 28F later in the week though. I know this has been mentioned before, but this is the coolest thing ever for a Rover.

My wife just became more interested in the Rover.

------ Follow up post added October 27th, 2014 11:09 AM ------

John, just re-read my post. Wasn't doubting your knowledge about pin 4, just wasn't sure if maybe I got the cheaper, dumber version that didn't have that option.

I consider you the subject matter expert in all things Webasto.
Old October 27th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You can get the plug kit from this guy in Turkey: http://stores.ebay.com/worldwidedies...p2047675.l2563 He has the best price around. 10 pounds with free shipping.

Old November 12th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Someone was asking for more help on wiring the heater fan to the Webasto. I hand wrote some things on the webasto schematic, attached....

1) Purchase a standard 5 terminal relay and mount it somewhere. This is item K3. You can get one at any auto parts store.

2) Run a wire from pin 4 of the 6 pin plug (X1) on the Webasto to terminal 86 of the relay.

3) Wire terminal 85 of the relay to ground.

4) Find the power supply feed that goes to the heater (in the engine bay). My wiring schematic shows this as a purple/green wire. Make sure you verify... Normally there is a 3 wire plug that goes to the heater assembly. One wire is the power supply, the other two go to the speed switch. Use a test light or meter to check which one is power with the plug disconnected. You want to cut the power supply line. Run a wire from the 12V supply side to terminal 87A of the relay. Run a wire from the cut wire that goes to the heater to terminal 30 of the relay.

5) Lastly, add a fused constant +12V feed to terminal 87 of the relay. If you have the Webasto fuse block, you are meant to use fuse F3.

The heater fan will turn on when the coolant reaches 30 C and it is still controlled by the heater speed switch in the cab.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 20141112120905.pdf (129.0 KB, 65 views)

Old November 12th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
John,

Awesome, thanks again!
Old January 19th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I have a question about fuel hoses. My kit came with an ArmorMark 50054 3/16" Fuel Hose. Any idea if this is brand is Biodiesel compatible? Should I order a 3/16" Viton hose instead? What is the best place to order Viton hoses?
Old January 19th, 2015, 01:37 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
All of the ones I've seen use 1/8" tubing (or is it 3/16"?), certainly not hose. No idea what it is made from, but I assume nylon, which is fine for BD.

Have you investigated the use of BD in one of these? The stock filters plug very easily with any gelling. I would be worried about overloading the fuel pump with the higher viscosity fuel.

Old January 19th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

The ArmorMark line looks like rubber so I'm going to replace it just in case. I haven't looked into it but the Manual says its compatible with B5 and B20 so assume at least lower concentrations are safe to use.
Old January 19th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
I have a question about fuel hoses. My kit came with an ArmorMark 50054 3/16" Fuel Hose.?
http://www.autozone.com/1/products/1...ark-50054.html

This says the tube is Nitrile (NBR), which is not okay for BD.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
webasto