Webasto/Eberspacher oomph - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 30th, 2014, 03:30 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Webasto/Eberspacher oomph

So, exactly how blowy is an Airtronic heater? Is it something one could use as the primary thing to heat ones, say, 109 5 door? Will it clear the windows as a defroster? Would it need a boost blower? Just curious.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 30th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The Espar D2 (2 kW) is rated for 48 cfm at maximum. The 4 kW version is 85 cfm. I doubt they make much air pressure either and would not work well with ducting that directed the flow to different locations.

To compare, I measured 3 kW and 160 cfm from my stock Defender heater (installed).

Also, an aftermarket 5 to 10 kW coolant based heater is much, much cheaper.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 30th, 2014, 03:42 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Good to know, thanks.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2015, 02:56 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Old thread revival. Is anyone here running one of the Airtronic cabin air heaters? I'm trying to figure out which model I want for heating the interior of my 110, where I sleep on trips. I'm wondering if the D2 would be enough to get the cabin toasty. I froze my ass off in Idaho last winter and I would love to repeat the trip but with the option of sleeping comfortably in the truck and not have all of my water jerry cans freeze solid.

Also, do we have any Eberspaecher dealers on the site?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old November 27th, 2015, 04:11 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Chris, I'm not running one, but my understanding of even the smallest model is that it will run you out of a defender-sized space with the heat.

Eberspacher is headquartered near me and are all over the place. Let me know if you see better deals from Germany, I can easily facilitate a transaction and ship to you from the APO.

Old November 27th, 2015, 07:17 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Chris, I'm not running one, but my understanding of even the smallest model is that it will run you out of a defender-sized space with the heat.

Eberspacher is headquartered near me and are all over the place. Let me know if you see better deals from Germany, I can easily facilitate a transaction and ship to you from the APO.
My understanding as well. All the big overland mega-rvs run those for interiir climate control.

These are easily sourced new and used, plenty of parts access, and like RTTs, sell used at close to new prices, do you can get one, try it, and if you dont like it, easily sell it.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old November 27th, 2015, 08:33 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I have the webasto Airtop 2000s in a few of my trucks...excellent way to go..the webasto and esserbacher are pretty much the same thing.. As mentioned... More than capable... Wife and I were in a roof top tent in 12 degrees and the inside temp was 76...
Old November 27th, 2015, 09:36 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
One of the 2kW versions should be good. But you need it insulated.

Old November 27th, 2015, 10:20 AM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

I installed the Eberspaecher (espar) A2 in my D90 last year as well as their hydronic 5 coolant heater, best investments since I was living in Chicago and now Colorado... I have not directed the air to use as a defroster as I have heated glass. I used the insulation around the pipes and plumbed one to either footwell and one up behind the center cubby box. It heats the cab well, I may add a fabric separator though. I still do get some draft through the doors and front vents but I deal with that.

I think I may have some pictures around here but I installed the coolant heater under the drivers seat and the A2 I have in back. I made up two storage boxes in the back and placed the A2 in the front half of one with my dual battery in the other. I'll try dig up some pictures or take some today if you would like.

(edit) I purchased both through a local big rig truck dealership. They supplied all the parts and accessories required and were located just across the border in Wisconsin (back when i lived in Illinois).
Old November 27th, 2015, 11:11 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I am on the hunt for an Air Top unit to use in the 110 Dormobile Camper.
There appear to be the Webasto, Espar, and other knock off brands that are advertised to work just as well as the Webasto, Espar units.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old November 27th, 2015, 11:29 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Great info, guys. John, what do you mean by "you need it insulated"? The fuel lines? Air hoses?

I'm not sure where I would put one. Maybe an air heater in my cubby system in back. I wonder if the coolant heater could fit under the passenger seat.

/
/
/
/
Old November 27th, 2015, 11:37 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Great info, guys. John, what do you mean by "you need it insulated"? The fuel lines? Air hoses?
The truck needs to be insulated. How well that is done is much more important than anything else.

Old November 27th, 2015, 11:52 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The truck needs to be insulated. How well that is done is much more important than anything else.
agreed here. my stock heater was worthless UNTIL I actually put insulation lining along my roof, sealed all the doors properly, and closed off all the tub leaks with soundproofing. that made a HUGE difference in my heater's ability to heat my 110, as well as the AC's ability to keep the rear area cool (AC rear area improvement also required tinting windows).

Now my stock heater easily keeps the cabin warm in winter, even up in mountains with snow on ground.

Old November 27th, 2015, 12:09 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
I still need your advice on my install of the used thermo top C for the d90!
Old November 27th, 2015, 12:37 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Insulating my soft top truck is going to be tough. Supposedly there is a radiation hazard insulation kit for the Wolf trucks but I've never seen one here in the States. There are some leaks that I need to seal around the seatbox and cab floor. My doors leak terribly but previous attempts to improve them didn't get me far. If the Eberspaecher can get the interior to 40 degrees, that's fine--I have a sleeping bag. Water and fridge contents freezing solid is my real issue.

/
/
/
/
Old November 27th, 2015, 12:41 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Soft top is a lost cause. The picture in your post was a hard top, so I assumed that. Not sure why you can't seal the doors?

Old November 27th, 2015, 12:46 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

As I mentioned... In 12 degrees it got the temp up to 76 in my roof top tent..and you can't get much more of a heat loss factor than in a tent.. The diesel fire heaters will do juuuust fine..can't say that it will stop your water from freezing if the water has any convection to the external of the truck.. I used to always make my coffee pot water the night before..that way I just heated it up from frozen..
Old November 27th, 2015, 12:54 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Insulating my soft top truck is going to be tough. Supposedly there is a radiation hazard insulation kit for the Wolf trucks but I've never seen one here in the States. There are some leaks that I need to seal around the seatbox and cab floor. My doors leak terribly but previous attempts to improve them didn't get me far. If the Eberspaecher can get the interior to 40 degrees, that's fine--I have a sleeping bag. Water and fridge contents freezing solid is my real issue.
Some RTT manufacturers provide a winter lining for the RTT that is basically a shaped thermal blanket that is installed over the framing inside the RTT. I don't see why you can't engage an auto uphostery shop, or better yet Badger (who will have the soft top templates) to make you one for your soft top (with straps and such) that you could install. I think that would be a great product.

Think about how warm those DRASH tents get when they have the liner installed. Shayne said it was 76F in his RTT using the airtronic. you're about double that space.

Old November 27th, 2015, 01:00 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

We actually finished up turning the heater OFF?.. We were sweating inside..lol... I sold an Airtop unit to a buddy of mine in Alaska..he drove down from Alaska in his 109 just before December in his shorts and shirt.. Said he got really strange looks from the border agents as he opened the window to hand over passports and a big gush of hot air hit the agent in the face..lol.. Also stopped any snow and ice buildup on the outside of the windows..
Old November 27th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
We actually finished up turning the heater OFF?.. We were sweating inside..lol... I sold an Airtop unit to a buddy of mine in Alaska..he drove down from Alaska in his 109 just before December in his shorts and shirt.. Said he got really strange looks from the border agents as he opened the window to hand over passports and a big gush of hot air hit the agent in the face..lol.. Also stopped any snow and ice buildup on the outside of the windows..
B3st move is to get airtop, install. Once youve used it, decide what else to do. Doubt you'll regret it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, webasto