Webasto airtop owners question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 7th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Jbullis
Jason Bullis
1994 NAS 90 #1810, 2006 LR3

Registry
Webasto airtop owners question

I am in the process of installing a airtop 2000s. I have mounted the unit under the left hand side rear seat. I have a couple of questions, I have been reading through d90 and several European forums:

When hooking to your fuel source, is it just fine to insert the fuel line through the filler neck(I have read several posts in that), or can I just "t" into the fuel line before the filter? I don't want to have to drop rear tank.

Want put a remote for startup. I understand none are made directly for the airtop. It looks like most people are modding the telestart models to work in conjunction. The best price I have found for a t91 setup is one that is designed and marketed for a Volkswagen. What have you guys done with others options, or did you go this route?

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The telestarts should work fine, but they are quite pricey. You can use any wireless relay or also setup a remote car starter to work, with a bit of wiring knowledge. You just need to supply 12V to turn it on. The Telestarts supply a simple 12V on/off as well as a Bus signal for modern vehicles.

You can tap into the fuel line. You have to be careful to prevent any air bubbles in the system. The installation manuals give details and how it should be done. You are best to do it between the tank and the lift pump.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 7th, 2014, 10:58 AM
skygrip
Claude
110 CSW 1991

Registry
I did make my Cubby Box with the Built in Webasto heater,
I did not want to tap in to the Tanks,
so i did it, just after the Sedimentor at the Back, and put the pump on the frame outside (For the Sound that it makes)

i do have put a remote, but i only used it, when i start the truck in winter. take five to 10 minutes and the truck is very warm,

Webasto they start making a new control this year, see link.

http://www.webastoshowroom.com/smartemp/

the one i have install that work with the remote,
they only have one setting On or Off...
that you cannot control the temperature inside the truck, not a big problem,
I open the window...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone photos 2196.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	87461   Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone photos 2197.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	87462  

Name:	iPhone photos 2198.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	87463   Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone photos 2199.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	87464  

Name:	iPhone photos 2200.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	87465  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Are there any drawbacks to tapping the fuel line (say at sedimentor) versus going directly to the tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The telestarts should work fine, but they are quite pricey. You can use any wireless relay or also setup a remote car starter to work, with a bit of wiring knowledge. You just need to supply 12V to turn it on. The Telestarts supply a simple 12V on/off as well as a Bus signal for modern vehicles. You can tap into the fuel line. You have to be careful to prevent any air bubbles in the system. The installation manuals give details and how it should be done. You are best to do it between the tank and the lift pump.
Old January 7th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
As long as no air can get into the line and the check valve on the line to the engine is working, then it is fine. A slug of air will cause a flame out. The webasto manuals cover this. They basically show that the tee connection should drawn downwards so that any air travelling in the main line does not get into the webasto line.

A direct line tap into the tank avoids any possible problems, but it can be done from the main line as long as everything is in good shape.

Old January 7th, 2014, 02:55 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbullis View Post
I am in the process of installing a airtop 2000s. I have mounted the unit under the left hand side rear seat. I have a couple of questions, I have been reading through d90 and several European forums:

When hooking to your fuel source, is it just fine to insert the fuel line through the filler neck(I have read several posts in that), or can I just "t" into the fuel line before the filter? I don't want to have to drop rear tank.

NO you cannot T in to the line. You can do the filler neck trick.

Dropping the tank on your truck takes about 2.5 hours, when your lift pump dies you can run the line through the top of the pump. PM me for details.

Want put a remote for startup. I understand none are made directly for the airtop. It looks like most people are modding the telestart models to work in conjunction. The best price I have found for a t91 setup is one that is designed and marketed for a Volkswagen. What have you guys done with others options, or did you go this route?

Red90 has suggested many times to just use a remote on an off. You would wire it on the 12 volt line as you have to have the webasto rheostat for the airtop to work.

Thanks in advance...

Please see above in bold
Old January 7th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Here is a link to a manual. http://www.webasto.co.za/products-an...tallManual.pdf

It is all covered. You can tee in as long as you are between the pump and the tank. I'm not sure why Thomas is saying it can't be done. If you have an in tank pump, you can't do it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
top, webasto