weak rear brakes? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 11th, 2004, 12:47 AM
redrover

weak rear brakes?

Two yrs ago I could not lock up my rear tires on a icy road if i wanted to. Later that winter I replaced my master cylinder . Still could not get good brake power to rear. I then replaced the brake proportioning valve. Still no luck. The rear rotors and pads are also new. Does this sound normal? I would guess that my pistons were stuck, but when truck is on stands the brakes seem to work. I would think that the rear should lock up on ice pretty easily. Any ideas ? Thanks JP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2004, 09:17 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
maybe your truck has that rare rear anti lock brake option?

No but really, I would check to see if your calipers are working to there full compasity. You should be able to lock all 4 up. Check to see if you have a kink in the rear brake line too.
Old November 11th, 2004, 05:05 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

I'm sure the truck is set up so that the fronts lock up way before the rears. Many/most drivers would have a hard time dealing with a rear end that locks up before the front.

Around here, tire shops won't even install studs in the front tires anymore, due to liability concerns. Some driver locked up the rear wheels on their FWD car a few years ago (that only had studs in the front), the back end swung around, collison, lawsuit against tire shop, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2004, 05:51 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I have locked my front tires up but never my back tires. Both times were when it was wet out.
Old November 11th, 2004, 09:10 PM
redrover

I hope i didnt confuse anyone with the lockup question. I am not trying to lock the tires up on ice to stop. I am just using a very slick surface to prove that my rears are not functioning correct. I would think even though the proportioning valve sends more pressure to front , that if I put two feet on the pedal and pushed with super human stenght that I could easily lock all 4 tires on ice? Today I ordered a piston over haul kit from AB. The guy stated he had no idea of a solution. After I told him of all the things i replaced, He said the proportional valve keeps the rear from ever locking up. NASA could use a few folks like him. I know the origional owner pulled a mastercraft with truck. I wonder if those punni brakes were damaged by such a heavy boat some how. jp
Old November 11th, 2004, 09:42 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

I installed an adjustable proportioning valve in another vehicle of mine to correct an opposite problem - the rears were locking up before the fronts (very annoying). YMMV, but if you run out of options you can install one of those...
Old April 27th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

Just wondering...
I was reading your post and that sounded exactly like me this winter.
Head out the window slamming the brake in the snow, gravel, anything soft...
Fronts lock... Rears don't... I was told my rear calipers were "Frozen" by a shop, and have replaced the old calipers with new.
Same problem.
Even with two feet on the pedal I can't lock up the rear. The braking performance is simply scary. If I have to stop on the highway I have no chance.
Did you ever find a fix for this?
-Heath
Old April 27th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Air!
Old April 27th, 2006, 09:41 AM
ne4x4
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90

yes I agree with bowtracer properly bleeding the brakes on the rear is notoriously difficult to get right. I generally wedge the brake pedal down overnight then bleed the rears the following morning, this seems to be quite effective
Old April 27th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

power bleeder baby oh yeh
Old April 27th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I have the same problem while trying to lock up the tires on snow and ice. The fronts lock easily and I cannot get the rears to lock to save my life. I always though the brakes worked pretty good until I changed out all four pads. Ever since then the brakes have not felt right. Since then I have had the system bled, and had all four pads and rotors changed at the dealership, and a new proportining valve, and new master cylinder installed by an independent shop. Same problem. I gave up and now just be careful when driving and watch my front rotors wearout in front of my eyes.
Old April 27th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Dont know what to say...I gave up playing in wet parking lots years ago
Old April 28th, 2006, 09:24 AM
dsticht
David Sticht
'94 AA D90 ST

replacing the pistons solved the same problem for me
Dave

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake