Weak Idle - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 6th, 2008, 06:28 AM
saber6
gh
97 D90 SW

Weak Idle

My 1997 SW is picking of the sniffles, she runs superbly from start and and I have had no complaints for years now (she is a garage queen getting only 1k miles a year at best). However lately after she is warmed up and running I've noticed her idle gets very weak and accasionally stalls out. So bad so that I have to keep my foot on the gas to keep her rpm up to get through a stop light. After I shut her down for a while (maybe 30mins or more) she runs fine again until she heats back up.

I was thinking it could be bad gas, she does sit for long stretches but now I am thinking it may be something more. Let me know your thoughts and thank you very much. gh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2008, 08:03 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
If it really is just a low idle and nothing else seems to be affected, you can adjust the idle speed. If it has never been adjusted there is a little cap over the hole that you have to drill a hole in and pry it out (i'm told put a screw in it and pull). This is on top of the plenum where the air intake is.

Oh, this is on a 94, but I assume the 97 is the same.

charles
Old March 6th, 2008, 08:42 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"you can adjust the idle speed"

DO NOT DO THIS!

You will mess up future diagnostics.

gh, do you get a check engine light?

As a start I would pull and clean the stepper motor. It could be a bunch of other things, but they are more time consuming and difficult to diagnose.
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2008, 09:06 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by guajiro
My 1997 SW is picking of the sniffles, she runs superbly from start and and I have had no complaints for years now (she is a garage queen getting only 1k miles a year at best). However lately after she is warmed up and running I've noticed her idle gets very weak and accasionally stalls out. So bad so that I have to keep my foot on the gas to keep her rpm up to get through a stop light. After I shut her down for a while (maybe 30mins or more) she runs fine again until she heats back up.

I was thinking it could be bad gas, she does sit for long stretches but now I am thinking it may be something more. Let me know your thoughts and thank you very much. gh
Its not the fuel. Mine does the same thing every month or two.
And I love you too
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Question

Could it be the Stepper Motor???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 7th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I'm also on the list of suggesting checking the stepper motor.

If the idle is too low, the computer should automatically increase RPM's to compensate. If the idle is naturally too high, then you would manually adjust it down.

Could also be dirty oxygen sensors, but normally that would trip the check engine light. Don't have that on, do you?

One thing I do recommend in your case is to put some miles on it. If you're just doing a few short trips once in a while, and not letting it run at temperature very much, you're constantly running it in "warm-up" mode. When the engine is still warming up, it ignores most of the sensors and runs rich. If this is how the engine is running most of the time, you're going to clog up the cats eventually. So when you do drive it around, make sure to give it some good amount of time to run. This burns all that extra crap off your O2 sensors, out of the cats, and keeps the engine from gunking up.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 7th, 2008, 07:37 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
As far as the idle adjustment goes, count the turns and you can always revert. But Ron is probably right - mine has never been adjusted and doesn't appear to need it if everything else is working properly.

I agree with Hans - put some miles on it. My D90 had a weird stalling issue (but not an idle thing) and it went away after I put some miles on it. Prior to that I was just doing lots of short slow trips.
Old March 7th, 2008, 10:35 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Also, much different on GEMS than 14CUX to adjust idle

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
idle