Defender Source Forum banner

Ways to seal Window to Tailgate Gap on ST 90's?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  rlynch356 
#1 ·
My search skills must be lacking, cause I am sure this has been covered, but I can't find it, so please excuse me for asking again..

What has proven successful at sealing the gap left under the soft top's rear window bar/weatherstrip and the top of the Tailgate door? It would be nice if the rubber seal actually contacted the tailgate, but there is a good 1/4" or more gap left, which gives a nice draft, and often times a nice influx of exhaust fumes...

Was thinking I could just get some adhesive backed foam weatherstrip and put it on the top of the tailgate, but that doesn't look very nice, and I don't think it will stay there for more than a few open and closes of the tailgate..

Thoughts?

#2 · (Edited)
I can't remember but doesn't the seal just slide in across the channel in that bar? I don't have a gap between my bar/seal and tailgate but I'm assuming you could probably get a thicker rubber seal to slide into the channel of that bar. I assume your clips are installed correctly. Like these right?

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
The weatherstrip is kind of like the very first one in the photo. It has two 'legs' with little inward 'hooks' that slide into the channel on the Window bar, and then a round shaped, 1/2" 'bulb' to it.

This seals well with the right and left fender sections, but less so with the center section where it should hit the tailgate..

I played with it during my lunch hour (now I'm hungry, damn Defender Addiction), and noticed that the driver's side of the door was lower than the body when closed..

Took the tire off, and adjusted the strike plate, and tightened the hinges (was more play than I thought here). I have to lift as I close the tailgate for it to close smoothly now, but the tailgate and body match much closer now. I don't have the large Posi Drive bit needed to adjust the body side hinges, but that side of the door seems to line up fairly well..

Now the gap is significantly reduced (for now, haven't put the weight of the tire back on yet). There is still a gap in the middle however, and it almost looks like the window bar is bowed slightly upward in the middle, presumably from the tension of the top pulling upward on it (colder it gets, more the top shrinks, larger the gap becomes I guess)..

Guess I couple try a piece of weatherstrip that has a larger 'bulb', assuming I can find one that matches the dimension to slide into the soft top bar. Or maybe I could 'stuff' the center section of the bulb with something to expand it slightly..

Attached some photos from before I adjusted the door for reference..

Attachments

#5 ·
Guess I couple try a piece of weatherstrip that has a larger 'bulb', assuming I can find one that matches the dimension to slide into the soft top bar. Or maybe I could 'stuff' the center section of the bulb with something to expand it slightly..
I'm interested in what you come up with. I have the same issue with mine.

I'll take a look at my tailgate alignment tonight. maybe it's off a bit. I do have to lift the tailgate slightly to close it.

#8 ·
--- Stupid Question ---

I confess that I don't really understand the way that the metal bar that slides across the bottom of the rear window is supposed to attach to the clips on either side of the tail gate. I have a Badger top and when I installed the bar the remaining space was too great to make the bar fit into the clips.

Is U shape in the bar supposed to sandwich around the clip? Or is the entire U supposed to go under the clip?

To make it fit sandwich style, I had to add a 1/8" space between the clip to reach the bar. It reaches this way but after a few minutes of rattling it come loose.

Would love to find a clip that includes a tensioning mechanism so that it could grab the bar, hold it fast and then tension it downward to the gate. Does this exist?

Any ideas of how others have solved this would be appreciated and might solve the OP's question.

Thanks.

------ Follow up post added October 29th, 2016 09:05 PM ------

I have a badger top. I wonder if Chris made my rear window panel too short? If he did it would explain the need for the spacers to make the connection work. Not sure about this. The sides seem to fit well.

FWIW the holes where the cage exit s above the doors is also too big. Lots of rain intrusion here. Suppose I could find some sort of flashing (maybe a large rubber thingy to go on the cage part that covers the gap?).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.