Water tank question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 8th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Water tank question

Does anyone know if the Scorpion Racing 44L water tank that goes in the rear quarter space of a 110, will fit an NAS 110? See picture.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2007, 04:07 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Hey Mark, did you ever find out if this will fit?

Thanks!

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:51 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I did not. But Graham Jackson from Overland Journal said to me that he had an Equipe steel water tank (off the shelf) unit fit in there, so i think it would. Might be cheaper to take that pic and have someone fab one for a lot less. Those scorpion racing units, nice as they are, cost around $500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2007, 04:43 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Hell, that's insane! Probably would be cheaper to have one fabbed up. I bet Rockware might be all over that; and they're local. Thanks for the info! I attended Graham's Africa Overland slideshow last fall. Nicely done. It was interesting reading about the same trip in the latest issue. It's the inspiration for my CO<->NFLD journey in a few years...

Old July 4th, 2007, 06:27 PM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

you have a really beautiful newfi boy there in your picture...he looks huge! i have two burnese mountian dogs one male who is getting huge like that too..i just really like big dogs
-ky
just wanted to say
Old July 5th, 2007, 02:05 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Ariesblu
you have a really beautiful newfi boy there in your picture...he looks huge!
Hey thanks, but that's my one year old Newfie girl! I've got two others also. Yah, big dogs are the best. Here's some pics of the others: http://picasaweb.google.com/Geurin/Misc

Old July 5th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Ok, enough of the dog talk. Get yourself a latte, stop by Rockware next time your in the neighborhood and ask them about the water tank fab cause I have BIG plans for about 40L of water! That, a marine deck shower box, and an engine heat exchanger...
Old July 16th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Found this link! This could be a much cheaper alternative. Going to check on sizing back there to see if I can find one that will fit closely. then all that would be needed is a retention bracket.
http://www.plastic-mart.com/class.php?cat=12
Old July 17th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Ok, did some measurements in the quarter panel space. never really looked in there before but DANG, that's a lot of room! It deserves something!. Including the full cage pass through back there, an NAS 110 has capacity to fit within these dimensions: 16"L x 13"W x 12"H. The largest capacity tank I could find within the plastic mart inventory is B326, which is a marine grade polyurethane water tank, 3/8" thick (vs the RV 1/4" thick). It is 7 gal capacity at 12"x12"x12". The perfect dimension for that space would be 16x12x12 (almost 10 gal), but they don't have it. anyway, the price for that tank is $65! much better than $500. Still have to fashion a brack to hold it, but that's easy. after you order, they send a template that you can write on, and you actually tell them where to install any fitting you want. the fittings are seperately purchased through them. i would think all that is needed is a fill neck, male drain outlet, and inspection plate.
Old July 18th, 2007, 11:14 PM
jabber
m j

Would there be any interference with articulation?
Old July 18th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I ended at 16" as it just comes close to the tire if it was COMPLETELY stuffed. to be safe, go with 14" or less in length. the 7 gallon 12x12x12 tank would be well out of the way.
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Ok, I found the perfect size tank with a Canadian supplier! 10 gallons at 16"x12"x12". Should fit perfectly in that space. I'll take pics and post when I get to it.

http://www.plastictanks.ca/product.php?prod_id=01321
Old July 24th, 2007, 02:14 PM
pcarey
Peter Carey
'93 NAS Defender 110 #322

keep us posted. I had plans to put in a storage box back there (local guy would fab it with door from the outside) but a tank might be good. Otherwise, I plan to strap down 6 2.5 gallon Scepter cans to the rear seat footwell. they fit perfectly and until my daughter's legs get long enough, make for easy access and gaurd against single point of failure.

Have you seen the Extec tanks that fill the footwell in the rear seat? way expensive (from Germany as well) but a good idea.

Follow-up Post:

Hmmmm.....on second thought.....can they put two fittings in that tank and can it hold diesel or biodiesel? My other plan is to put tank between the fill hole and the main fuel tank. TO have it custom made it'd need to fit around the indent the fill hole makes in the quarter panel, but if I can get a tank that fits in there and still has at least 8 gallons of capacity, that'd be dope.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 24th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I noticed last night that RN has a 110 aux tank that looks like it fits in there, in the scratch and dent section for under $200 IIRC.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
water