Water pump pulley wearing my coolant hose. 300 tdi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 9th, 2012, 10:39 PM
sundogcwolfe
Charles R. Wolfe
1984 110, 300Tdi

Water pump pulley wearing my coolant hose. 300 tdi

So twice now my water pump pulley has cut my hose..... See red arrow on picture. THe first time I had to replace the entire bottom hose assembly which I purchased from RN. The new one is put together in pieces with seemless bands. I would like to replace just the worn part. And of course I need to figure out why this is happening. Is that hose running in the wrong place. There is a flat piece of steel (yellow arrow) with tapped hole. What is that meant for? Is there supposed to be something there to keep the hose away from water pump pulley? Help appreciated. See photo.

Cwolfe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (4) (1).jpg
Views:	174
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	47283  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Difficult to tell, but think the hose is to short-the rub as a result its getting cut.
If correct, lengthening it by half an inch or so would cause the hose to would arch up and away from the bracket etc,

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:42 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ok, a few things. First, that flat piece of steel is a bracket that is designed to hold the hose up and out of the way. However, there is a piece missing. There's a small plastic clamp that has a tab on the bottom that fits in the eyelet that you see on the metal bracket - essentially holding the hose in place, but also up and out of the way of the pulley.

Second, even in addition to the plastic clamp I also used a scrap section of hose to go around the outside of the hose to "elevate" it even more away from the pulley (I just zip-tied this scrap around the main hose).

Can't post pics from the iPad (drives me crazy!), so if you want shoot me a pm with your email address and I'll send you some pics of my setup.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Oliver Whiting
Oliver Whiting
84 110, 94 NAS90,Bunch of EX-mods

Replace the missing plastic clip that is designed to hold the hose out of the way and also add a zip-tie to the smaller hose that passes over this one. The plastic clip in itself is enough.

Call George at RDS
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Can't post pics from the iPad (drives me crazy!), so if you want shoot me a pm with your email address and I'll send you some pics of my setup.
If you get a forum app you should be able to, I use Tapatalk for my iphone and I have no problems posting pics, it even re-sizes them for me automatically.
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:31 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
If you get a forum app you should be able to, I use Tapatalk for my iphone and I have no problems posting pics, it even re-sizes them for me automatically.
Yeah, we've told him that a few times!!
Old February 12th, 2012, 07:56 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Same issue here. I'm planning to make a
bigger bracket, that will cover the pulley.
Old February 12th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Those are such a pain, you would have thought LR would have made a bit more clearance here. All that you have to do is use a large flat ended screwdriver and bend the bracket up a little more. As others posted I also used a old piece of hose to insulate it a bit more.
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:22 AM
piper109
Steve
1999 Disco 1 SD w/300tdi

I too have a metal bracket that is attached to one of the water pump bolts which effectively holds a plastic clamp around the hose and keeps it away from the water pump pulley.
I'm having trouble uploading pics but I will also be happy to email you 2 pics of my OEM setup (96 Disco) which seems to work just fine.
Old February 15th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Frank84
Frank Battersby
95 D90

Here's a picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clip.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	47598  
Old February 16th, 2012, 08:56 AM
piper109
Steve
1999 Disco 1 SD w/300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank84 View Post
Here's a picture
Thats exactly what I have.

Steve
Old February 16th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I had the same issue with mine, so here's a MacGyver fix. It seems as though the hose is actually a little short in length which causes it to hang low. So when mine finally rubbed through and started to leak, I bought a 3" long , 1/2" diameter piece of pipe (in the plumbing world it's called a nipple), cut the hose at the point of leak through, inserted the "nipple", hose clamped it and the hose was repaired. Even if yours hasn't rubbed through yet, I'd advise carrying the nipple & clamps as your not going to be able to run down to NAPA and buy a new hose.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, coolant, pulley, tdi, water, water pump