Water pump just died, stuck on the side of I-95 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 9th, 2010, 06:27 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Water pump just died, stuck on the side of I-95

I just had my water pump die (300tdi) on I-95, I'm currently @ the Vince Lombardi rest stop.
Any idea if there are any shops around that can help me (I can take off work tomorrow, thats not the problem). Any replacement pumps available locally? I need the belts too, they both were shredded...

Can anybody out there help?

------ Follow up post added May 9th, 2010 08:03 PM ------

I mostly need help with where to get a new one (+belts) in ridgefield park, NJ ASAP anybody know if its something stocked @ auto parts stores? Even something close that would at least get me home...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
sorry to hear that. what happened?

call eric at atlantic british 1800 533 2210 ext 231

you should be able to get the part next day.

belts plural? You should only have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
I just had my water pump die (300tdi) on I-95, I'm currently @ the Vince Lombardi rest stop.
Any idea if there are any shops around that can help me (I can take off work tomorrow, thats not the problem). Any replacement pumps available locally? I need the belts too, they both were shredded...

Can anybody out there help?

------ Follow up post added May 9th, 2010 08:03 PM ------

I mostly need help with where to get a new one (+belts) in ridgefield park, NJ ASAP anybody know if its something stocked @ auto parts stores? Even something close that would at least get me home...
------ Follow up post added May 9th, 2010 11:27 PM ------

Come to think of it, have a belt and spare (used) pump here. belt may not be the right length. also have fan clutch tool.
Old May 9th, 2010, 11:40 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

i was coming back from my 'rents on Long Island, heard it start squeaking on the George Washington Bridge, so we stopped to check it out and get some coffee @ the Vince Lombardi rest stop (barely into Jersey). When I was pulling out of the parking spot to leave there the bearing seized, belt popped off and was shredded by the fan. I'm at my aunt's place for the night and am going to try to source a belt/pump locally to have to fixed, but if i cant find something that fits I'll prob have to call Eric earlier than later to have him 1-day it to me. I'd borrow those if i was local but I need to get back to DC (and back to work) sooner than later!

There has GOT to be a water pump that fits it on engines that were sold here...

I found the below list from this link -> http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=35017

Delphi WP2404
FAI WP6300
Firstline FWP1797
Unipart GWP2721
Valeo 506732
Airtex AIR1695

anybody know if something carried by local parts stores will fit? I dont anticipate finding a replacement belt being a problem though, just the pump/gasket. I'd love to not have to miss another day of work waiting for shipping
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
you have enough coolant in there?

I generally get items from AB next day if I ask for the fedex shipping.

you can get the fan clutch wrench from them too, you will need it.

Quote:
i was coming back from my 'rents on Long Island, heard it start squeaking on the George Washington Bridge, so we stopped to check it out and get some coffee @ the Vince Lombardi rest stop (barely into Jersey). When I was pulling out of the parking spot to leave there the bearing seized, belt popped off and was shredded by the fan. I'm at my aunt's place for the night and am going to try to source a belt/pump locally to have to fixed, but if i cant find something that fits I'll prob have to call Eric earlier than later to have him 1-day it to me. I'd borrow those if i was local but I need to get back to DC (and back to work) sooner than later!

There has GOT to be a water pump that fits it on engines that were sold here...

I found the below list from this link -> http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=35017

Delphi WP2404
FAI WP6300
Firstline FWP1797
Unipart GWP2721
Valeo 506732
Airtex AIR1695

anybody know if something carried by local parts stores will fit? I dont anticipate finding a replacement belt being a problem though, just the pump/gasket. I'd love to not have to miss another day of work waiting for shipping
Old May 10th, 2010, 12:30 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
you have enough coolant in there?

I generally get items from AB next day if I ask for the fedex shipping.

you can get the fan clutch wrench from them too, you will need it.
If you can get hold of George, he has them for $130.00

http://roversdownsouth.com/defender-cool.htm (bottom of the page)
Old May 10th, 2010, 12:36 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Anybody know of a good land rover repair shop in/around ocean, nj? Ill have the parts here tomorrow. If you do know of one please respond asap

------ Follow up post added May 10th, 2010 12:37 PM ------

Short of just going to monmouth land rover

------ Follow up post added May 10th, 2010 12:40 PM ------

I know I know, dealer service... But right now I don't have much choice
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Doubt they will have any clue how to deal with it. You should be able to do it with a fan wrench and a 10mm socket.

Maybe the money spent to have some numb-nuts fuck it all up would be better spent towing it back to DC or to a better shop.

Quote:
Anybody know of a good land rover repair shop in/around ocean, nj? Ill have the parts here tomorrow. If you do know of one please respond asap

------ Follow up post added May 10th, 2010 12:37 PM ------

Short of just going to monmouth land rover

------ Follow up post added May 10th, 2010 12:40 PM ------

I know I know, dealer service... But right now I don't have much choice
------ Follow up post added May 10th, 2010 01:27 PM ------

Dan, where is the truck now?
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:35 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
AAA should get you most of the way home no?
Old May 10th, 2010, 03:48 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Actually Monmouth Rover Dealership does a pretty good job, the owner sends his guys for training all the time. Give them a call 7328692500 to find out first if they have anyone trained up on the Tdi's if your unsure. Also there is a small garage in Fair Haven called Foreign Cars of Monmouth, 579 River Road, #7327477027. Across from the super market i think.
Old May 10th, 2010, 07:16 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Doubt they will have any clue how to deal with it. You should be able to do it with a fan wrench and a 10mm socket.

Maybe the money spent to have some numb-nuts fuck it all up would be better spent towing it back to DC or to a better shop.

------ Follow up post added May 10th, 2010 01:27 PM ------

Dan, where is the truck now?
Truck is @ Monmouth Rover, spoke to the service dept, they seem competent, will have the part tomorrow from AB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
AAA should get you most of the way home no?
I'm only a basic member... 3 miles, upgrading after this goddamn ordeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
Actually Monmouth Rover Dealership does a pretty good job, the owner sends his guys for training all the time. Give them a call 7328692500 to find out first if they have anyone trained up on the Tdi's if your unsure. Also there is a small garage in Fair Haven called Foreign Cars of Monmouth, 579 River Road, #7327477027. Across from the super market i think.
I think i'm going to stick with the Rover dealer, they seemed pretty excited to work on something other than a petrol auto freelander...

Thanks for everybody's help, i'll post how it turns out.
Old May 10th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Sounds like you are in good hands. Best of luck with the repair.

Quote:
Truck is @ Monmouth Rover, spoke to the service dept, they seem competent, will have the part tomorrow from AB.

I'm only a basic member... 3 miles, upgrading after this goddamn ordeal

I think i'm going to stick with the Rover dealer, they seemed pretty excited to work on something other than a petrol auto freelander...

Thanks for everybody's help, i'll post how it turns out.
Old May 10th, 2010, 07:54 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

yeah i'm confident it'll work out, thanks again
Old May 10th, 2010, 09:16 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I haven't used Monmouth LR but have used Tommy @ Foreign Cars in Fair Haven. I'm not so sure how up he is on Tdi's as all the D90's I've seen there have been NAS. Next time I see him I'll ask.

I've bought small parts @ Monmouth LR and they always seem stoked that it's a Defender part I'm asking about. Like you said, I'm sure they are excited to be working on something other than a Freelander. Let me know how the operation goes. I'm curious to know how they are service/wrench wise.
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:05 PM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

I passed through LR Monmouth pretty early this morning and didn't see your truck outside. I figured they had it inside the bay already. Any progress?
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:26 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

To clarify this earlier question
Quote:
belts plural? You should only have one.
In the haste of my wife yelling at me and trying to see what happened in a dark engine compartment, yes, it is 1 belt, it had just wrapped around the fan making it look like 2.

I had ordered 1 of each of the 2 kinds of serp belts it could have been, will be returning the one I didnt use today.

-----------

I'm back in DC now. I think they had put it inside around 10am yesterday. I picked it up around 2-230 then drove it home.
I'm not thrilled with the 2.5 hours of labor I was charged, but like I said I didn't have much choice and I'm over it now.

They were able to use their own fan clutch wrench, so I didnt even open mine. The work was good, the price not really. The actual guy that worked on it (John) couldn't have been nicer, I wasn't a huge fan of the service manager though. He justified the price (which he didnt have for me until I had dropped off the parts) by saying "it came out of the defender flat-rate book"... for a different engine. It wasnt worth arguing, I just wanted to get home.
Old May 12th, 2010, 01:27 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Thought about it, I'd really like to limit my chances of being stuck again and want to do the timing belt now too.
I have no idea if/when it was last changed (maybe Dr Aaron can chime in here if he knows)
I read a few how-to's online and it seems fairly straight forward.
I've never changed one before but I am relatively mechanically inclined, and I can recruit my cousin to help me (who is also).

Thoughts? I'm limited in tools i have at my apt in DC, but i can probably borrow anything i'll need from friends, part-stores, etc
Old May 12th, 2010, 01:56 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

This is the best write up around IMO. Its for a disco 300tdi but it is the same:
http://www.difflock.com/servicing/30...lt/index.shtml

It is not difficult but takes some time and is NOT something you want to mess up.

It is worth having a manual also.
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:19 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

A water pump on a non-serp belt, 2.5 hours is fair. Not sure on a 300tdi, but it is an hour job on a serp V8 truck.

Ron
Old May 14th, 2010, 01:04 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Alright, at least I wasnt taken for a ride.
Thanks Ron
Old May 14th, 2010, 01:13 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You could have been, I just don't know tdis (too slow for me).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
95, water, water pump