water pump? install? proline vs LR? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 17th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Justin Tebbenkamp
95 D-90 ST
water pump? install? proline vs LR?

I've got a slight coolant leak dripping directly beneath the water pump...it seems to be leaking out on the belt. I can tell the water pump has been replaced in the past (different shades of metal & I can see the gasket). I know roversdownsouth has the tdi pumps...don't know if they have it for V8. I saw roversnorth has a proline for approx $90 vs the LR for approx $240. Has anyone had experience w a proline waterpump or is it junk...is there another good source on these. Also I understand it's about 2.5hr job if you know what you're doing...being I have NO experience with this I'm assuming it would be an all day job. How hard is it to replace? thanks j

Old May 17th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892
I'd go with genuine. Pretty easy and straightforward i think. Hardest part for me was removing the fan. I remember using a chain wrench to help hold the fan (Not the fan itself) from spinning to remove the nut. I removed the radiator while i was doing it and had it recored. made access real easy. Repace the coolant hoses while your doing the water pump if they are older.

1995 Defender ST
1996 Discovery SE7
2008 LR3 HSE - Wife's

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Jon Kleppel
1994 D90
I am not the most competent mechanic and I managed to get the water pump, alternator, thermostat, fan clutch, and hoses done in the course of 6-8 hours and that was including going to the store twice when I sheared the bolt head off of the same bolt twice which made me take off the water pump both times to get the bolt out.

I am not sure if my water pump was a proline, all I know is that it was not a land rover pump. I think I got it from either british atlantic, or rovers north. I have had it in for about a year now and have never had any issues with it.

I recommend buying a few extra gaskets and a new bolt kit for it too (just off of my expierience).

To remove the fan I used the "glove" method... I think I read it on this forum... putting a glove between the pully and belt so you can unscrew the fan.
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I have never seen a rover in person
I would buy a genuine pump and the neoprene (not paper) gasket.

Mike at LR Westchester found me a nice OEM one for less than the genuine price. Some aftermarket are junk, some are land rover pumps in a non-land rover box. Unless you can hold it and see it, it is hard to know.
*not legal advice*
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90
I'm not understanding why you have to change the pump and not only the gasket. If your old gasket is leaking, take your pump out, clean it and check it, if it's good, change the gasket only ...
" Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se. "
- Charles Eames
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
There is a weep-hole directly beneath the pulley--when pumps are on their last legs, water intentionally leaks out this hole. I believe that is what he is describing hence the pump/gasket change.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

proline, water, water pump