Water Pump Help!!! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 19th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Dfndr90
Matt Wunderle
1995 Defender 90

Question Water Pump Help!!!

I need help. I took my D-90 to the local LR dealer to get the front and rear pads and front rotors changed. Well $722 later for the brake work now I some how need a new water pump (per the dealer). They stated that they were seeing some coolant droplets on the floor. Mind you I have never seen any coolant on the floor of my garage and have not seen any wetness in the engine bay. How can I tell if the pump is truly shot. I do not want it to, as the dealer stated (your pump will blow up like a grenade and kill your radiator in the process). Also can a shade tree mechanic such as myself replace the water pump myself?

Thanks,

Matt...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well I have never heard of a water pump blowing up like a grenade, but I guess with enough gun powder it might.

When a water pump starts to go there are a couple things to check. There is a weep hole behind the pulley on the pump, coolant will start coming out when it dies. Also pull the belt off the water pump and check for play in the pulley, it should not wiggle around, if it does then the bearing is getting worn and the pump needs replacement. The Job is not too terribly hard, I installed one in my 90 in a campground with some help.

But more then likely the coolant is leaking from a bad hose or loose hose clamp then the water pump, but you friendly dealer knows that a leaky hose does not cost nearly as much as a bad water pump.

Me-> <-Dealer
Old August 19th, 2004, 01:23 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Matt, Although I haven't done mine, I've seen one done in the field. They're not that expensive, only $105 at Rovers Down South (http://www.roversdownsouth.com/trans.htm at the bottom of the page). If someone here thinks the shop's diagnosis is right, I'd save the 2 hours of labor they'd charge you and do it in your own driveway or garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Dfndr90
Matt Wunderle
1995 Defender 90

On the rovers down south web link, that pump is for a 200 tdi, will that one work on the v8?

matt...
Old August 19th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

No, the waterpumps in that link are for the 200 and 300 tdi, you could gve RDS a call and see if they have them for the V8.

DAP Inc. has them for 115
http://www.dap-inc.com/homeframe.htm

So does Northeast British Parts
http://www.northeastbritishparts.com...ER%20PUMP%20V8
Old August 21st, 2004, 01:33 PM
mwmcgehee
Michael McGehee

Water Pump

Matt,

I had to change out my pump at 60K miles, but I did see coolant dripping from the main bearing. Check under the engine and look below the shaft that comes out of the pump to the fan. If there is dirt caked there,
or coolant there, you probably have a leak.

I bought my pump, new hoses and belts and thermostat from Rovers North and did the job myself, took a couple of hours to get off and on, I let the sealant set overnight, then refill and run with new coolant. Have not had a problem since.

Mike
Old August 21st, 2004, 03:58 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"Well I have never heard of a water pump blowing up like a grenade, but I guess with enough gun powder it might."

Actually I have seen this quite a few times. I have even seen them blow up and shoot a fan blade through, yes THROUGH, the hood of a range rover.

BUY A GENUINE WATER PUMP, BUY GENUINE!!!!, one more time, BUY A GENUINE WATER PUMP. They went on back order once and I had to sell aftermarket (letting the customer know and giving them a price break of course). Well, they all blew up inside 20k miles.

So buy GENUINE!!!!! RN dealer, RDS if he has genuine.

Also the 4.0 pump is different from the V-belt 3.9

There is a weep hole at the front of the W/P check it and see for coolent.

Also buy the nice new rubber looking gasket, not the paper one, it should come with the pump but I am not 100% sure.

Ron
Old August 22nd, 2004, 01:54 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

BTW, a shade tree mechanic should be able to changes brake pads and front rotors, and save serious money in the process. You won't need rotors for awhile so it'll just be pads the next time you need brake work. These are super easy, so you can save yourself a bunch.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 11:49 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
"Well I have never heard of a water pump blowing up like a grenade, but I guess with enough gun powder it might."

Actually I have seen this quite a few times. I have even seen them blow up and shoot a fan blade through, yes THROUGH, the hood of a range rover.

BUY A GENUINE WATER PUMP, BUY GENUINE!!!!, one more time, BUY A GENUINE WATER PUMP. They went on back order once and I had to sell aftermarket (letting the customer know and giving them a price break of course). Well, they all blew up inside 20k miles.

So buy GENUINE!!!!! RN dealer, RDS if he has genuine.

Also the 4.0 pump is different from the V-belt 3.9

There is a weep hole at the front of the W/P check it and see for coolent.

Also buy the nice new rubber looking gasket, not the paper one, it should come with the pump but I am not 100% sure.

Ron
Very good info to know!
Old August 23rd, 2004, 02:55 PM
Dfndr90
Matt Wunderle
1995 Defender 90

I spoke to my dealer again with all this info and Yes the shaft is loose on my water pump. His concern was that it would pull out and (blow up like a grenade). I spoke with Nathan at Discount British parts and he also confirmed that this does happen, and usually takes out the rediator also. I took all the online prices to my dealer and asked why he could not match the price. After about 20 minutes he relented and is selling me the part at his cost, but I have to pay the $86.00 per hour labor. They do offer a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty though. I just dont trust myself enough yet to try this. Plus I dont want to get stuck at M.A.R with a blown pump.

Matt...
Old August 23rd, 2004, 08:14 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Doubt you'd get stuck at MAR. There's enough helpful people there. Or so I hear. First MAR this year.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 24th, 2004, 01:14 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

My $.02. Before my pump went, I had a high-pitched whining on start-up. It want away after the car warmed up. It was the bearings getting ready to go. When they went, whining turned to grinding, and I swapped the pump out.

$89 is pretty cheap for dealer labor. Make sure they stick to book hours, rather than try to make it up on a blank check and charge for actual.
Old April 24th, 2005, 02:39 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Damn... I wished I read this thread before I purchased/installed/broke a bolt off water pump installation. Luckily I got the bolt out. Upon inspecting the 'aftermarket' water pump I was sold the fan blades have paint coming off them, and it's thick. I'm sending it back tomorrow and getting a genuine one. 'evilfij' is right, buy a genuine one, you can DEFINITELY see a difference. The fan blades aren't curved either like in the genuine one, they're straight.

So, I'm going to get a power-steering pump pulley wheel to replace (I think that's what it is... the one on the outside), a genuine water pump, AND if anyone knows where to get a bolt set, I think I'm going to have a hard time finding that exact bolt size & threads... ??

Nicholas Orros

p.s. you see, it's not that I didn't search the forum... it's that I didn't search enough. this was truly a triple fold learning experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:23 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

One Last Question Please Help...

Ok, so I finally got the factory water pump after waiting a week, they 'forgot' to ship it... real nice. Should have used George at RDS... well, you live & you learn.

My question is:

I saw that someone wrote that you should fit the new water pump in and then let it sit for a day before filling so that the sealant has a chance to 'set it' ... Is that necessary ? Does it help ?

THANKS,

Nicholas Orros

Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:51 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Bolt it all together and go

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
water, water pump