Water pump dead? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 28th, 2009, 11:31 AM
durangorover
Chris Wherry
1995 D-90

Water pump dead?

99% sure the water pump is dead/leaking. What parts are necessary and what should I add that I didn't think of? The pulley just in front of the pump is oscillating a bit.

New pump!
New pulley, water pump to compressor?
Probably need new belts anyway?
What about Hoses?
Thermostat?
Water pump bolts?

Any special tools? I know about the reverse thread on the big fan bolt. Oh mine is a 95 3.9 V8. 65k miles.

Is this fairly easy to do? I'm pretty handy but no car mechanic by any means. This would be my first water pump.

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2009, 10:29 AM
durangorover
Chris Wherry
1995 D-90

Anyone??? I've read on other post that you shouldn't use after market pumps? Proline? They are half the price but are they half the pump? Some input would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:54 AM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by durangorover
Anyone??? I've read on other post that you shouldn't use after market pumps? Proline? They are half the price but are they half the pump? Some input would be much appreciated. Thanks
I have a 94 3.9 and I have about 5k miles on my aftermarket that I got from Atlantic British and it seems to work fine. I would change the thermastat and any of the hoses that are showing wear as long as you are dumping all your coolant. Besides that it was all pretty straight forward. Many of the bolts that come out are of varying length so make sure you keep a diagram of where they go in the pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2009, 01:23 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

There are different grades of water pump out there. You can tell by looking at the impeller and the bearing/seal area whether it is crap. For the uninitiated, I would just spend the extra $$$--and make sure you get a genuine gasket too.
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:22 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

It's not that hard but it's messy. Change the thermostat and make sure you clean everything very well before reinstalling.

You say the pulley is ocillating? Is it overheating? Is there coolant dripping out of the weep hole?Did you check the 3 10mm bolts that hold the pulley on? Make sure they are tight.
Old April 30th, 2009, 10:07 AM
durangorover
Chris Wherry
1995 D-90

Thanks guys. I'll give that (genuine pump) a try and replace the thermo. Yes, the coolant is leaking out of the weep hole. I'll check the pulley bolts too. One other question for y'all, where is the drain plug for the radiator? Thanks guys.
Old April 30th, 2009, 10:40 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

No drain plug, drain it by pulling the lower hose.
Old April 30th, 2009, 10:50 AM
durangorover
Chris Wherry
1995 D-90

Thanks Ron.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
water, water pump