Water Pump Brands - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 8th, 2014, 10:53 PM
petminded
David
1995 Defender 90- Yellow- Soft Top

Water Pump Brands

Few questions here: I need to replace my water pump. Looking on the web I see a bunch of brands and a range of prices (Pronto, Gates, Airtex, Metrix to name a few). Does anyone have any experience with one that's good but not too expensive?

Second: I was going to have a mechanic do the install even though I'm very handy with these things. But despite his reputation I was worried about one thing in a phone conversation. I called in to get a quote and I told him abt my Defender but he didn't ask me about what motor my D90 was running. So this makes me leary of him. Should I be?

Last if I do choose to do the job mysel, I know the bolts have the possibility of breaking. Is there some preventive measure I can take (like spraying them with liquid wrench ever night for a week before hand)?

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2014, 11:32 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Well, all NAS D90s have the V8. Did he know it was a 95? They are harder to do on 93-95 than 97s. I would avoid cheap water pumps like the plague. I have seen way too many fail early and even blow up. I consider the $250 or so for genuine well worth it or find one that is truly OEM.

I have never broken a bolt doing it and I don't see it possible to get to the threads to spray them.
Old May 8th, 2014, 11:39 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I couldn't agree more on using a factory water pump. Pay once and cry once. I have had more "issues" with non factory parts as of late.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2014, 12:04 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Most everyone here will agree that when it comes to a critical part OEM is best...usually, no matter the price.
Old May 9th, 2014, 02:17 AM
petminded
David
1995 Defender 90- Yellow- Soft Top

I did tell him was a 95. So that makes me feel better. I thought some 95' were diesel?

How do I know if it's oem?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions