Water Pump - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 7th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST
Water Pump

Ok guys someone set me straight.

It looks as if i need to put a new water pump in. i am getting a rattle/knock from the pulley area. what else should I do while I'm there? I was thinking of the Viscous clutch, serp belt, hoses seam to be good had them changed a few years back (maybe 5).
I'm about to order from AB.
also Is there any tools I will need that are specific to the job? or make the job easier? I am no Mechanic I've dome exhaust manifold and plugs, break pads. I think I can but, can I handle this?

Thanks in Advance

Old September 7th, 2012, 04:34 PM
87 D110 (Ruby)
Take a look at the tensioner pulley/wheel they tend to go first.

"The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein
Old September 7th, 2012, 04:53 PM
aaron lam
1997 Alpine White D90 SW #2212
How old are you rubber hoses? Might be a good time to change those out too... it's a PITA to drain the coolant... makes a huge mess. Some people suck it out of the radiator instead of draining... YMMV. So change the hoses while you are at it.

There is a viscous clutch wrench that I've heard is a lot easier than any sort of makeshift thing... it's a thin spanner thing that fits easier to the nut.

Tip: it was really hard to get the rubber hoses back onto the metal parts... like the water pump. I finally put a little vaseline on the metal parts... helps the rubber hose slip on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

water, water pump