Water on floor mats? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 15th, 2006, 06:39 PM
WestTexasDefender
Sam Allen
'97 LE #234

Water on floor mats?

A few weeks ago we had a big rain and the next day I noticed a pool of water on the passenger floor mat. I didn't think much of it until a few days later I pulled out the rubber mats and the carpet mats that were underneath were soaking wet. I couldn't figure out where the waster came from and have been to busy to spray down the car with a hose. I am also thinking of ripping out all the carpet since the previous owner had a dog and theres a smell imbedded in the carpet, then Line-Xing the whole truck to help with sound and other things. Line-X is the same thing as Rino Liner except lighter and more durable suppposedly. Let me know if any of who have run into the leak problem and what I could do to fix it and your opinions on the Line-X idea.

Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2006, 07:02 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
haha welcome to the joys of rover ownership.
Old February 15th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

There is a quote that bounces around online regarding the Defender 'Turning radius of the Titanic, and just as water-tight'

I get puddles on the floor mats from time to time, and there are a few places it could be coming from. My windshield weatherstripping is cracked and dried out in the corners, might also be from the windshield vents, or coming around the door.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

Another source, when it's the passenger footwell that's wet, is the air conditioning. I have the problem big-time. The drain pipe can get clogged, and condensation just overflows onto the floor. My a/c has a lot of mud in it....
Old February 15th, 2006, 07:29 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I had what sounds like the same sort of leaks. Installed the rubber seals that the series trucks use and it stopped.

There is a write up I think in the Tech Articles about it and also maybe a couple of threads.

I meant to say the rubber "vent" seals that the series trucks use.
Old February 15th, 2006, 08:22 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I too have it, after a rain and I stop at a light or sign water comes pouring down from behind the headliner by the windshield. I used a silicon caulk and went across the seam of the hard top from driverís side to passenger side as well as around the sunroof. Definitely has helped, not 100%, but noticeable difference.
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old February 15th, 2006, 09:04 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

They all leak pretty much everywhere, also FYI the Line-X doesn't really abate sound very well, I sprayed the entire inside of my Crew Cab 110 and it made no difference what so ever.
Old February 15th, 2006, 10:13 PM
UpnOver
David Williams
'97 Yellow ST

I replaced the vents. But, I have that leak on the passenger floor board with I ran the ac. Which I have only used it twice. I replaced all the bolt with stainless and used a spray in bed liner on both sides.
Old February 15th, 2006, 10:46 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Leaks - eyebrow vent is definitely primary offender and it can leak for a number of reasons. I have one that is slightly bent so it doesnt suck up to the gasket properly. Also the gaskets get old. Putzing with the vent is much easier if you remove the roll cage crossbar.

The place where the weather stripping runs down the windshield post and curves outward can also be a culprit. Some weather strippings are not well installed and water infiltrates that point from where it drains down the edge of the firewall and onto the mats.
Old February 16th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

This has not always been the case..........but now I too have water leaking on the front mat on the passenger side during a rain. I have a 95 Softtop - with a hard top put on it - so it may not appy to you.

By the way - I too have nad the AC drain get plugged - that will cause this to happen - but that is not what is happening now.

In my case, when I pull up the wet rubber mat after a storm, I find the bare metal of the floor board - no carpet. Mine is starting to rust at the angle at the front of the floor board. So it is definitely something I want to deal with.

In my case it is definitely coming from the door. The quick release bolts for the upper windows are also dripping. So I think that my leak may be from where the window, bolts onto the door. That rubber drain that is suposed to shoot water back to the outside of the door might be old and dry rotted. Also my seal where the front of the window come in contact with the wind shield pillar is not very good. Might need to be replaced as well.

I want to remove the window top and see if I can see any clues there.

I will try to post again if I find any solutions...........

Flagg
Old February 16th, 2006, 03:17 PM
WestTexasDefender
Sam Allen
'97 LE #234

Thanks for the advice I'll see if any of this is the case. Also I forgot to mention that the driver side was soaked underneath the rubber just like the passenger but no puddle. I also wasn't using the air conditioning around the time this happened so I don't think it's the a/c but I'll check. I'm going on my first serious wheelin trip with the 90 this weekend so I'll see haw it holds up. As soon as I figure out what the problem is I'll post how to fix it.
Thanks again

Sam
Old February 16th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

My driver side is staying dry so far......it is definitely side specific for me..........Flagg
Old June 29th, 2008, 06:47 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Sam did you ever figure out what the problem was? I just went out to my truck after a night of ran and found a puddle on the passengers side mat as well. Nothing on the drivers side.
Old June 29th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Pat
Patrick M.
D90 '96 300Tdi 5 speed

kind of "funny" but useful
http://land-rover.team.net/manuals/W...ressManual.pdf

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
mats, water