Water/Methanol injection - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 10th, 2012, 11:53 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Water/Methanol injection

So high are sung the praises of injecting a mix of water and methanol into the turbo diesel you would think that it would be something that everyone would want to do to their engines.
Has anyone any experience with this or have been thinking of trying it on their Rover Tdi? I'd love to know whether it would be worth the bother and expense.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2012, 12:03 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Kermit had some sort of setup on his 300, which recently resold. I think Pendy did the setup. Dont know much more than that.
Old February 10th, 2012, 02:39 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

It works as advertised. It is similar too injecting propane to keep EGT's down. In that it is a very user hands on way of dealing with dangerous EGT's that will damage an engine. You will be spending time to maintain the system and achieve a result that may seem to demanding. But as a standby system to provide some extra security in a demanding use situation, it may be considered invaluable. For instance hauling a trailer over the Rocky Mountains. With an engine fueled to maintain highway speeds.

Hope that helps

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2012, 03:00 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Yah the propane thing has run it's course. The big thing is to use windshield washer fluid, an injector and some sort of controller that fires at a preset EGT. There are also some wide band sytems that inject at all times over the entire rpm range. They claim 20-odd percent increase in HP. Will do more research.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old February 10th, 2012, 04:03 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Yah the propane thing has run it's course. The big thing is to use windshield washer fluid, an injector and some sort of controller that fires at a preset EGT. There are also some wide band sytems that inject at all times over the entire rpm range. They claim 20-odd percent increase in HP. Will do more research.

People have been doing this in race cars for years if not decades.

Windshield fluid is like 70% methanol or something like that. Its an easy way to decrease combustion temps and allow for more advanced timing (in a gasoline car) without running into denotation issues.

Not sure how it translates to a diesel since a diesel operates on denootation basically. I guess if the combustion chambers got too hot, it would denotate way before the piston got close to TDC, and this would be a good way of remeding that.

Either way, the major downfall is you have to keep refilling the system. Honestly, unless your looking for every last HP , your better off with just a properly tuned engine without it.

drag racing - sure
Dyno queens - sure

Real life, not really the all that sensible.
Old February 10th, 2012, 04:36 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
I will be honest. I do not think you see very much performance increase from the water injection itself after having set a couple systems up. The performance gains are in keeping EGT's down when the fueling is increased. I have better luck tuning in an incredibly large intercooler that does not require maintenance. And the cooling system itself has to be considered in this equation. You will need increased radiator capacity when you increase the fueling.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
water