Water Leaks in the rain - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 31st, 2007, 01:43 PM
okyrover
Timothy Chesnut
1995 NSA Defender 90 SW

Water Leaks in the rain

Hi I have a hard top D 90 that is leaking at the top left corner of the headliner , top of the door, and some were on the right side starting topside of the dash glove shelf. Is this a Defender thing or is something wrong? Both ruber mat fill with water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2007, 01:48 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

In England that would have been on the passanger side... So, they probably would not have cared.

I would check the seal on your sunroof. Once it stops raining, use a garden hose to narrow the search, then use some silicone to seal the leak.

Good luck and welcome to the board.

Scott

Old March 31st, 2007, 05:56 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Mine does that. If you had your headliner out you would see how the top is shaped to perfectly dump water out in that location. I'm 99% sure its not your sunroof. I think its water seeping through the gutter seal (take a look - there is sealant on the bottom the entire length of the gutter). Water seeps in through cracks in this sealant by capillary action and runs up the interior channel down the entire length of the roof, coming out the front corner when you brake or park downhill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2007, 06:20 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

There was a german rainproofing guide kicking around on here a couple of years ago. Someone probably still has it (I looked, mine's gone)
Old March 31st, 2007, 06:56 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

The right side top of the dash might be the vent seal. You can replace it with the foam strip or use a Series II rubber seal.
Old March 31st, 2007, 07:00 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I've got the german-language "wasserhandbuch" which has some nice diagrams and stuff. Anyone who wants one can email me.

Look at the ECR site on one of the more recent D90 projects, they discuss this type of water infiltration and how they fix it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
water