Water Leak bulkhead to windscreen frame seal - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 27th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Jack, I would be surprised if it was leaking from the point you indicated as any water leaking from there would run down the door seal lip.

If the water is right on the edge of the floor mat you should see a drip mark on the plastic trim covering the door check, you may find the leak point is actually the sharp crease in the door seal just below the point indicated.

Or as has been pointed out it is the vent flap seals that are leaking, the foam seals are not very good esp after 10yrs.
I have replaced mine with S3 rubber seals and through all the rain in the last few months the floor has been bone dry.

Try replacing the vent flap seals its the cheapest fix first, it's 2 fiddley M6 bolts and 2 pins use plenty of WD40 to remove the old seals from the flaps as it will cleanly remove the adhesive.

regards
Gren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2012, 03:11 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDEF90 View Post
61 Rover that sound good!
Yeah mine leaked there too. Do what Ron said and try and tighten the windscreen down. If that doesn't work then put a glob of strip caulk in there. That fixed mine. No rubber mat full of water any more.
Old September 27th, 2012, 04:47 PM
JackDEF90
Jack Nicholls
2002 Defender 90 station wag 2.5 D

People this is first forum I've ever signed on to and its been enlightening. Thanks for the advice, got a nice weekend coming so will give it a bash n feed back.

By the way, tightning the windscreen down.... Bit o plumbers tape on the bolt threads??? Can't do any harm!

Cheers,
Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDEF90 View Post
Here is where the leak comes through. The inside and out
Make a gasket to put between the bracket and the wind wshield/bulkhead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 27th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Raz
Leif
1994 90 ST #1589

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gren_T View Post

Try replacing the vent flap seals its the cheapest fix first, it's 2 fiddley M6 bolts and 2 pins use plenty of WD40 to remove the old seals from the flaps as it will cleanly remove the adhesive.
Those bolts are the biggest pain in the backside ever. The captive nuts inside the flap like to move and you have to have your arm in the most uncomfortable position to access them. That said, it is worth the effort for the Series III rubber seals.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
water