water in fuel tank? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 4th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST
water in fuel tank?

I realize fuel pump/engine hesitation problems have been thoroughly covered in other other posts, so I'll try to be brief with my own particular bug:

1) One morning, I crank and crank my 95 D90 (5-6 times) but it won't start. Go to work, come back in the afternoon--try again, after a couple cranks it fires up and I take it to the local independent British car shop. They do a series of tests, isolate the problem to a fuel delivery problem (worn check relief valve, they think), but after they test it again, it starts and runs fine. So, they conclude maybe a connection was dirty, etc, and maybe the whole process of fiddling with it made everything right. I get charged for the labor but don't have to get a new fuel pump....

2) A month or so later, after start-up the engine runs rough on the road, hesitates, bogs down, and eventually dies. After a couple crankings it starts up and runs fine. I call the shop and they think that maybe some water got into the fuel tank, suggest that I use "Heet."

3) 3 weeks later, same problem. I empty a bottle of Heet into the tank, spray some ether and the engine starts, and everything is fine.

Incidentally, during incident 2) and 3) the tank was 3/4 full, and the weather rather "British" (about 55 F, damp, cold and humid, even some rain). Assuming the shop tested all the other systems throroughly, my question is...are Defenders susceptible to getting moisture into their gas tanks/fuel lines? I have had my Defender for about a year, and I live in Texas where it has been hot and dry until recently...do I have to keep my fingers crossed everytime the weather gets cold and damp??

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old January 5th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90
generally they are not unless the water is in the fuel to start with

Old January 5th, 2007, 10:26 AM
I have never seen a rover in person
Probably bad wires or water in the ECU or cap or some other electrical component.

Keep in mind that water will sink to the bottom of the tank so the amount of gas really should not make that much of a difference.
*not legal advice*
Old January 5th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor
I've run into loose connections at the ignition coil causing problems in damp weather.
Rob Dassler
SWR Automotive
505-872-7818 (shop)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

fuel, fuel tank, water