Water from under dash - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 23rd, 2004, 01:29 PM
tmore
Tom More
1995 D90

Water from under dash

The last two mornings I have had a significant amout of water come out from under my dash as I pull out of my driveway. It has been raining fairly heavily here so sure that is the source of the water. So far I have not been able to determine how/where it is coming in from... Any suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2004, 01:35 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hmmm, the Vents under your windshield, the seals go bad after a while.
Old September 24th, 2004, 12:03 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Mine does the same thing and I don't think it is coming from the vents. If I really lay on the wiper/washers it will drip after alot of wash. Not to mention the puddle of water after a really god rain. I am suspicious of the gutter b/w the winshield and the hood. It seems to catch water and divert it left and right. then the water drips down and I can't find where it enters. If it was from the vent I would think that there would be at least some dampness in the cubby area behind the vents-none there. The only wet area seems to be just above the brake pedal. So long story short- if I find it I will post the solution and anyone else please do the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2004, 12:55 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I have to laugh! Trying to prevent water into a D90? That is too funny. Let me give some advice---drill a couple holes where the water might puddle. Then it just gets out, no worries! That is the best way, IMHO.

That being said, it comes in from the vents, the brake pedal, the clutch pedal, the wiring harness, the windshield washer thingy, the window studs on soft tops, the lack of seals on windows on hard tops/SW's, and the windshield gasket. Just seal those up tight, then it will only come in from the top, the door seals, the window seals, ect.
Old September 24th, 2004, 04:12 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Your D-90 must really be a POS
Old September 24th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
Your D-90 must really be a POS
Whose is a POS? I really think if your 90 does not leak then you are pretty lucky.

Chris gave all the right places, you could get out the garden hose and start washing things down working your way from the bottom up until you find the leaky spot/spots and the seal it up with some silicon.
Old September 24th, 2004, 09:34 AM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmore
... Any suggestions??
Get someone to spray water on the wind sheld and bulk head area, while you crawl around inside to try to find the leak(s). I found that by sealing some of the bolt heads and nuts on the firewall that it took care of at least one of the leaks on the floor, the leak was the fastener for the door limiter thing bracket.

But in reality, they all leak, people with soft tops don't notice because they expect the leaks.

IMHO I have one of the tightest station wagons out there, and in a downpour I still get drips around the door openings and firewall.

I heard a quote that went somthing like " My d-90 has the turning radius of the Titanic, and is just as water proof"
Old September 24th, 2004, 12:30 PM
tmore
Tom More
1995 D90

I have always had the normal drip here and there.. that is not what I worry about. This week after parking in the rain I had ~ 4-6 oz of water come rushing out from under my dash..
Old September 24th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I keep a roll of paper towels on the passenger foot well--it absorbs the water there and then when I need a moistened face wipe, I have one! I also cut up a piece of the restaurant mat, the thick stuff with lots of holes, and use those as my floor mats--they work GREAT. Not only are the cushy for my sensitive toes, all the water never gets trapped and it evaporates quickly. Just a little tip from your Uncle Erp.
Old September 27th, 2004, 05:36 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

I'm sure this isn't it, but when I run A/C, I always get a small puddle on the passenger floormat, on the forward left side. It's never bothered me, but I think it's where the hose has an "L" in it, and maybe it's clogged or loose...
Old September 27th, 2004, 07:18 PM
outdoorfever
Kyle
toyota 4runner ;)

I was just going to suggest the A/C. Sometimes condensation can form uner the dash..but you mentioned after rainy weather so scratch that idear. Figure anything out yet?
Old September 27th, 2004, 08:07 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
nah my comment was in regard to drilling holes in the truck.. my D-90 leaks H20
Old September 28th, 2004, 03:11 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

It has to be coming from the vents...I readjusted my vents to make sure they closed all the way and since then i have had no problems wiht water coming in....Little adjustments of the vents and other things can close up holes where water will come through....

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old September 29th, 2004, 02:43 AM
outdoorfever
Kyle
toyota 4runner ;)

glad to see you found the problem, leaky holes suck!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
dash, water