Water Coming In - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 12th, 2015, 07:16 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Water Coming In

Other than the alpine windows in the 110, what are some known leak spots in the roof?

If it rains while the car is sitting, then while driving, and upon applying the brakes, water will run forward along the bottom edge of the headliner and pour out where the windshield, front door and roof line meet, right onto my knee.

I don't have a sunroof.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2015, 07:47 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Since you asked.....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Land Rover Defender H20 Ingress Man.pdf (549.7 KB, 71 views)

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 12th, 2015, 07:49 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Front panel main seam
Windshield to roof corners
rear vents
rear sprayer

ribbed or flat roof?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2015, 08:38 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
It is ribbed.

And I don't think it is rear vents since the water would have to go around the corner, then all the way to the front corner at my knee to drip there. I think it would drip someplace back near the vents.

But when you say the front panel main seam, do you mean the seam across the roof where the slope starts?

1965 IIa SWB
Old April 12th, 2015, 09:19 PM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
I have the exact same leak on my ribbed 90....I am going to take off the front headliner, but I think a fresh bead of sealer on the roof to drip rail on the sides and front and then fresh beads on the rib sides would prob get rid of it...

2017 Range Rover L405 HSE TD6
2008 Range Rover HSE L322/MkIII - Gone but not forgotten
1988 D90 County RHD 2.5TD
2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Old April 12th, 2015, 09:59 PM
Tripod
Andrew
1988 90 RHD

Registry
This is s common issue. One of those nice built in projects LR left for you to have something to do on the weekends. Found the link below that shows some common leak issues and solutions

http://www.landroverweb.com/Pdf-file...ess_Manual.pdf
Old April 12th, 2015, 11:22 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Yeah. I'm trying to weigh the problems I have with each car and figure out how to manage having a '65 IIa and an '88 Defender as my daily drivers. Having the water coming in is disturbing because I know it is just going to mean more money and another project down the road to fix what problems the water caused.

Looking at the roof seam, I'm not seeing any gaps, but I'm not seeing any calk either. Do any of you recommend a technique -- calk outside only, calk inside only, both? etc... Also, what type of calk has worked for people?

1965 IIa SWB
Old April 13th, 2015, 12:06 AM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post

Looking at the roof seam, I'm not seeing any gaps, but I'm not seeing any calk either. Do any of you recommend a technique -- calk outside only, calk inside only, both? etc... Also, what type of calk has worked for people?
Everything you need to know about caulk

Old April 13th, 2015, 09:34 AM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
I have found with mine that water collects in the gutters then while braking runs to the front, when this happens the water spills done around the leading edge of the doors more so on the left hand side then right. The door gasket even though it is new is not a tight enough seal and the water comes thru right at the point where the door frame starts to sweep to the rear at the belt level trim.
Old April 13th, 2015, 10:49 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Wonderful watching experience there, Jason.

Ryan,

I'm pretty sure the only difference is that this is certainly coming onto my knee from inside the vehicle. Because I can see it coming out from behind the headliner at the front corner near windshield. So, it's either coming in the alpine window (but I have not seen it happen) or it is coming in at the seam and filling up the edge of the headliner.... not good.

1965 IIa SWB
Old April 13th, 2015, 11:02 AM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
I replaced the seal between the bulkhead and windshield frame on mine....huge source of water ingress issues in my opinion looking at the design that seal should probably be replaced every 5-10 years....ultimately it is what causes a lot of the bulkhead rot same with the actual windshield seal.
Old April 13th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

Really?

It's been a known issue with Land Rover hard tops since the year after they were introduced. The easiest cure is to change to soft top.
The rain gutter is inside the roof as well as outside. The roof leaks at the gutter seam. You have gutter water inside, under acceleration or deceleration the water sloshes forward, spilling out from behind the headliner.

You are better to caulk from the inside of the seam but it is far easier to caulk the outer rain gutter, just not as effective. A more effective fix is to remove the roof from the gutter and refs stem it.
Old April 15th, 2015, 11:42 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
So... are you saying there is a seam between the gutter and the roof? And this seam, if open, would run to the inside along the gutter? Seems like an obvious place to NOT put a seam.

1965 IIa SWB
Old April 16th, 2015, 08:21 PM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

That's exactly the way it is on a Series and I think they didn't do it any differently on the Defender. My 90 only has a canvas ST so I can't confirm. A seam there is so they can have a steel gutter and still have an aluminum roof.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
water