Water - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 6th, 2004, 08:49 PM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

Water

My 110 sat om my driveway overnight with a lot of rain coming down.
The following morning I opened the door and there was water on the passanger and driver's floor matts.
Is this a common problem or do I have bad seals?
FYI: I recently replaced all the door hinges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2004, 08:58 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
its the vent seals, welcome to the club my 90 does it too
Old November 6th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

On my 110 it was the wind screen seal. Pain in the rear to fix!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2004, 09:48 PM
COSteve
Steven Reed
93 Defender 110 - #107

Red face

My 110 leaks where the NAS roll cage attaches to the Roof. Slow leak drops off the bolt and lands in the seat. Had to seal from the outside. Its right above your head on the drivers side.
Old November 7th, 2004, 06:56 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Peter - Was your leak at the windscreen frame? That's where it appears mine is leaking (upper corner on both sides). If so, how did you end up fixing it? Thanks.
Old November 7th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Remove the dash! Remove the headliner! Loosen the roof! You get the idea! Mucho hours esp to fix the rust spots that developed.
Old November 8th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
I always thought it was the automatic floormat cleaning system?
Old November 8th, 2004, 03:04 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I drilled holes in the floor. Problem solved. I'm serious.
Old November 8th, 2004, 04:09 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

My D90 used to do it but with new sills and a little tweaking of the door it hasn't leaked in a very long time....But hey its a D90...Its going to leak somewhere or another...

Jason Habbal
97 D90 ST

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old November 8th, 2004, 08:34 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Getting back to the original question, on an NAS 110 there aren't functional vents like a 90 so it's probably not coming from there. On mine, I have the headliner off and I notice water dripping from right at the upper corner of the windscreen frame (on both driver and passenger sides). So it's not the door seals either. I haven't taken a close look to see how all the parts fit together, and where the best place is to apply some sealant. I'm guessing that the seal between the windscreen frame and roof (the one that's visible from the front of the truck) has deteriorated and is letting moisture through. There's no way I'm going to remove the roof to replace it (at least not right now) so I'll probably try to RTV it from the outside and inside, unless someone has a better idea. If that doesn't work, then I'll drill the holes in the floor

Hey Ze - Just realized you're in La Jolla. If I'm down your way, I could show you where my leak is coming from so you don't have to tear out your headliner.
Old November 9th, 2004, 02:39 AM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

Ha Ha Ha Ha, you guys are funny. You really think there's only one spot a defender will leak from and that's the solution? Look for the trail of water. I've had my upper door seal leak and drip down, I've had the seal between the window frame and bulkhead leak, I have a leak at the bulkhead vent, my safari vents leak if the water's going sideways and I have a leak through the clutch pedal assembly. It's the benefit of living where it rains a lot.

The funny thing is except for the drip on my foot from the clutch pedal I never get wet while driving . My truck still loves me.

P.S. I'm in a sarcastic mood tonight.
Old November 9th, 2004, 02:11 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Hey Mike - This is off-topic but I was up at Whistler this summer and saw a camo 110 behind me one day when I was leaving the parking lot. Just wondering if that might've been you. I was in my 110 with a Thule box on top.

Back on-topic, the only leak I have (AFAIK) is up at the windscreen frame. But then it hardly rains here in SD. So it's not that important from a getting wet perspective. But I'd be more concerned about trapping moisture and resultant corrosion.
Old November 10th, 2004, 12:38 AM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

Hey Ryan. Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure my leak comes from the door seals. But if you're in LJ give me a call. 858-456-9929.
Old November 10th, 2004, 03:10 AM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

Hey Ryan.

Yep that was me and my beast. I had just caught up to you at the exut of the parking lot, but I had to go the other direction so couldn't yell "hi".
Old November 10th, 2004, 02:45 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Ze - I'm down in the UTC area periodically so I'll try to give you a ring sometime. Your leak very well may be at the door seals. I originally thought that's where mine was as well. But during the last rains, I took a good look and saw water dripping down from above the door. As I mentioned previously, I don't have a headliner so I can see right up to where the windscreen frame meets the roof, and that's where it looked like it was coming from. Anyway, you'll get a better idea once you see what it looks like up there. Hopefully yours is the door seals as I believe that will be an easier fix.

Mike - Thought it would be too much of a coincidence to not be you. I was following a friend out of the parking lot so I couldn't stop either. Anyway, I was up there biking at the park, and it was absolutely incredible. Planning on heading back up there next summer so maybe I'll catch you then.
Old November 10th, 2004, 09:35 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

It won't be hard finding me. I work in the bike park, so I'm always around.
Old November 11th, 2004, 05:17 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Cool! I'm sure I'll see you there. The resort mountain biking rocks! And I'd like to try heli-biking the next time we're there. And we can compare water leaks (LR content)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
water