was there a conclusion on the electric v mechanical fan issue? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 12th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Axel
jack
1987 Defender 110 5-door

was there a conclusion on the electric v mechanical fan issue?

I have a 200 TDi with mechanical fan. I reviewed every thread I could find on here about electric v mechanical fans, but no clear conclusion.

Is an electric fan with thermostatically-controlled switch (such as from X-engineering) always better than the mechanical one?

Some folks on here say their 200TDi rarely needs a fan at all. What about us down in the South with 100 degree days & AC? Will electric fan be enough, or do I need to go Taurus?

Should I just keep the mechanical fan that's on it & forget about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2012, 06:33 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Mech fan eats up about 5hp. Electric with thermo switch is the way to go. Should incorporate cut off switch if you go wading with the truck.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old November 12th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I would think LR did not use the electric fan on the 200 and 300's for reliability. If the fan goes when you are in the middle of nowhere, and it is hot, you might be in trouble. However, if it is already installed, and not broke, don't fix it.
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

I prefer the electric fan. The zirgo "zfu16S" fits on the stock rad and rests on the steel housing. Like it was made for it.

I have a SPAL fan controller with temp sensor
Old November 12th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
as stated above for reliability the engine driven fan is safest but 5hp from an engine only making 112 is a lot. X engineering makes a billet switch holder and switch for this application.
The ford taurus 3.0 6cyl fan fits very closely and there are write ups here about these installs. Most modern cars use electric fans so the reliabilty isn't an issue unless you are submerging them. My brother has a truck that we setup with an Kenlowe electric setup when we converted it to tdi 4 years ago. He has driven it in hood deep water many times and has never had an issue. Tdi's really don't need a fan unless you have a winch/lights blocking airflow to the radiator while moving. If stationary,creaping in traffic, climbing mountains, or wheeling then you need a fan. I have gone entire seasons not running any fan and never gone past 3/4 of the gauge.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 12th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Saying the stock fan uses 5 hp is VERY misleading. It has a viscous coupling and normally uses no measurable horsepower. It is only when it is working. Even then, I would estimate 1. A large electric fan is only using 1/2 hp. If you've ever seen a 5 hp axial fan, you'll understand how out to lunch is this claim.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 13th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
For a diesel I would say electric. My reasoning is that if your cooling system is in good shape, then you barely need a fan. I've only had to turn on my electric fan twice this summer, and I daily drive my Defender. If we were talking about a V8 I would probably vote for a mechanical fan.
Old November 13th, 2012, 09:10 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
OK put John down as not agreeing with me again. I'm an artist, not an engineer. 5 hp, one hp, who cares. It eats up engine HP in any case.

1968 2A 88

Old November 13th, 2012, 09:48 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I personally like the stock mechanical fan. The only time it's annoying is when i need to access the front of the engine. The shroud also takes up a huge portion of the engine bay.
Old November 13th, 2012, 10:27 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
mechanical fan for reliability ... if you ever need it ... you can always configure a mechanical fan to be on all the time ... with electric you can't.

I mean if the electric motor is fubar ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old November 13th, 2012, 11:16 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
mechanical fan for reliability ... if you ever need it ... you can always configure a mechanical fan to be on all the time ... with electric you can't.

I mean if the electric motor is fubar ...
Oh yeah, those Rover viscous couplings are so reliable...

1968 2A 88

Old November 13th, 2012, 11:41 AM
andy110
Andy Bard
1986 110 CSW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
as stated above for reliability the engine driven fan is safest but 5hp from an engine only making 112 is a lot. X engineering makes a billet switch holder and switch for this application.
The ford taurus 3.0 6cyl fan fits very closely and there are write ups here about these installs. Most modern cars use electric fans so the reliabilty isn't an issue unless you are submerging them. My brother has a truck that we setup with an Kenlowe electric setup when we converted it to tdi 4 years ago. He has driven it in hood deep water many times and has never had an issue. Tdi's really don't need a fan unless you have a winch/lights blocking airflow to the radiator while moving. If stationary,creaping in traffic, climbing mountains, or wheeling then you need a fan. I have gone entire seasons not running any fan and never gone past 3/4 of the gauge.
Does the Ford Taurus shroud fit over the intercoller as well as the radiator?

------ Follow up post added November 13th, 2012 11:42 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
I prefer the electric fan. The zirgo "zfu16S" fits on the stock rad and rests on the steel housing. Like it was made for it.

I have a SPAL fan controller with temp sensor
Do you use the original shroud?
Old November 13th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

[QUOTE=andy110;387228]Does the Ford Taurus shroud fit over the intercoller as well as the radiator?

No, it fits (with a little trimming) behind the radiator. There are several configurations for the shrouds based on the year and model you get the fan from, so you'll want to have a good look at it before you buy it. I used one identical to the one in red90's writeup and it worked well. I used a dremel to cut it to shape.
Old November 13th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
It eats up engine HP in any case.
But only when locked up. The electric fan uses horsepower when running as well, so this argument is a wash.

The benefits are better engine access and the ability to turn off for water crossings. Reliability is here nor there. As stated the stock system is proven to be unreliable. You can build a reliable electric setup, but you need to put the work into it.

Old November 13th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I used the relay kit from these people: http://hollisterroad.com/ coupled with the xeng switch holder and sensor. Happy to take pics if its of any interest.
Old November 13th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy110 View Post
Does the Ford Taurus shroud fit over the intercoller as well as the radiator?
Here is my install on a Defender 200TDI: http://www.red90.ca/photos/land-rovers/taurus-fan/

It has been trouble free despite the abuse I put it through. I have a spare motor that I carry on long trips just in case.

Old November 13th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If I were doing another, I would use a DCControl controller, either the two speed or variable speed one.

http://www.dccontrol.com/

Old April 16th, 2015, 11:03 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Bringing this back up from the dead.

I bought a Taurus fan from a board member and was planning on installing it like Red90's writeup shows. I thought I was good to go but someone on the 4BTswap said the Taurus fan is major overkill for the OM617 and the Taurus fan draws a lot of current.

Correct me if I am wrong but if I use a temp control like Red90 linked to that has 2 speeds and kicks on at 180 deg (+ or - 30 depending on adjustment) how could it be overkill?

I am running a 200tdi radiator and thought this would be easier that trying to get a stock shroud (which isn't cheap) to work. Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old April 16th, 2015, 11:15 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Sure. The low speed is not a big draw. Too much air never hurt anything. The fan just runs less. My fan only turns on when off road.

Old April 16th, 2015, 11:58 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Sure. The low speed is not a big draw. Too much air never hurt anything. The fan just runs less. My fan only turns on when off road.
Thanks Red - I was just about to change plan but the more I thought about it today it and after reading that relay install page what he was saying wasn't adding up. Appreciate the help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fan