was testing sus. , now sits uneven - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 16th, 2006, 04:26 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

was testing sus. , now sits uneven

When i was testing out the flex on my new OME HD lift my rear left spring popped out, lucky someone saw it happen and they pushed on it with a board when i backed up. After it went back into it's seat the left side sat alot higher than the left side. It almost looks like 1/2-1inch difference. I am ordering either spring retainers or cones , but how do i fix the uneven height . It was perfectly fine before i flexed it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2006, 04:38 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

I guess that`s what happens when you articulate a truck that isn`t set up to be stressed like that. Do you mean to say the drivers side or passengers side is sagging now? Left or right doesn`t mean shit (aside the fact that you referred to both sides of the truck as left).
Old September 16th, 2006, 04:43 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

my drivers side spring popped out, and then we put it back in the seat and now the pass. side sits lower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2006, 04:47 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Gotcha. That would make me think that the passenger side spring shat out on you. I personally can`t think of what else it could be.
Old September 16th, 2006, 04:53 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

it's a brand new spring, no more than 40 miles on them
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:05 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Yea I understand that, but body sag is usually, from my understanding, almost always due to springs. So as I said, the only thing I can think of would be the springs... Shit happens, and I would imagine that if you put enough stess on the spring it could compress and not want to re-extend. I don`t know. Maybe somebody else can pipe in and give you other ideas, but as I said, I personally can`t think of what else it could be.

Follow-up Post:

also....

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=1589
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:09 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

thanks for your help, I think i'm going to buy some RTE cones ,so the spring won't pop out again
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:13 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

I have the Rovertym cones, but if you only have a 2" lift it is kind of a pain in the ass if you ever work on the truck with a lift. I dont have my sway bars on and the axle drops so far out that the springs actually drop beneath the cone, so when you are lowering the truck back down you need to make sure the springs get seated correctly. I`m thinking of going with the EE spring retainers now
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:15 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Get some RYM springs while you are at it.. THey are great...and way better then OME
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:21 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

I'm gonna keep my swaybars on for a while, but I was suppose to have a 2' RTE set-up installed but the dealer ordered the ome HD instead. I think i'm gonna buy the cones and keep the swaybars on but idk how that will drive on the road.
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:25 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

There is half your problem right there. Testing the flex with the swaybars on isn`t such a hot idea. I`d ditch the sway bars immediately, especially if you are wheeling it. You`ll notice as soon as you take them off that there is no difference in how the truck handles on road (so long as you don`t drive it like it`s a porsche), but it will be infinitely better off road.

If anything, if you take them off and you don`t like it they are really simple to put back on.

Follow-up Post:

Also I neglected to say, the cones were great with the 3" lift, no problems at all. I just installed 2" springs a couple days back though and the the springs are just the slightest bit too short for the cones.
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:26 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
oh yeah... dump the sway bars for sure... I drive mine like a sports car and 35"s with no problems..lol
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:28 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Randy- how big of a lift do you have to accommodate those 35`s?
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:29 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Maybe you could get under the truck and take some measurements. A 1/2 inch difference could just be the way you're parked. I doubt if stuffing a tire once would make a spring sag.
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:32 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

So I should run some EE retainers with my 2' lift instead of cones. I plan on adding lower shock mounts soon to the rear and thats why i wanted to buy cones.

Also the ride home from were i was the thing rode uneven. I'm going out their right now to take measurements
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:33 PM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

Quote:
Originally Posted by needsaD110
it's a brand new spring, no more than 40 miles on them
I just bought new Rovertym springs. The reason I went with them over OME is because I was warned that they might compress and not retain their original length. Good Luck
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:33 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
oh yeah... dump the sway bars for sure... I drive mine like a sports car and 35"s with no problems..lol

Old September 16th, 2006, 05:35 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer
Maybe you could get under the truck and take some measurements. A 1/2 inch difference could just be the way you're parked. I doubt if stuffing a tire once would make a spring sag.

I`ve seen it happen. This local kid was showing off his new lift on his Rubicon by the baseball fields in the hills behind my house. He was driving over boulders like he was hot shit. He came down off of one that was too high and he didn`t have sliders and it raped the sills of his truck, as well as managed to kill a spring. The rear drivers side was sagging my a good 2-3" and the front passengers side was elevated probably a good extra inch or so.
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:37 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

i measured from the top of the spring perches to the bottom of the spring

passenger side- 14.3

driver side-15.2
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:53 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by needsaD110
i measured from the top of the spring perches to the bottom of the spring

passenger side- 14.3

driver side-15.2

Since it's the rear maybe you could swap sides with the springs and see what happens. It shouldn't take long and might give you your answer. Or pull them out and measure them?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions