Warn xd9000 motor test - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 23rd, 2013, 04:31 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Warn xd9000 motor test

This is driving me nuts. My winch was working perfectly fine. I switch bumpers without disconnecting the winch wiring. Remount it and now its dead. Not even a click from the solenoids. I don't know what could have happened. I tried a motor test which I think I did right.. Grounded winch motor to battery. Connected f1 to aperture and tapped the hot lead to f2. Nothing happens except a lot of sparks. Any ideas? Does the xd9000 self ground? Could the powder coating on the new bumper have messed that up?
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2013, 04:37 PM
javelinadave
-
-

It is not self grounds so make sure you have two cables running and well connected to the battery.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 08:52 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

The wire that was being used as the ground is really small gauge. I can imagine that was enough to run the whole winch. I read somewhere what it was a second ground that's a safety feature or something on later Warns. Nonetheless I tried hooking a jumper cable right to the bolt and them to the negative battery. Just sparks and no movement
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2013, 08:56 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364086389.828742.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	68850

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364086404.493833.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	68851

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364086427.186942.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	68852

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364086441.957288.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	68853

Attached are some photos I took. The black wire is the ground coming off the bottom of the motor. It connects to one of the solenoids I am pointing at. The red wire photographed is the only battery connection in the system so it has to self ground. Finally I took a photo of my setup for testing the motor. Does anything seem off? I don't get what's wrong
Old March 23rd, 2013, 09:21 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Attached is a file I got from Warn a while ago on how to test my xd9000
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winch Motor Test Procedure.pdf (48.2 KB, 473 views)
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old March 24th, 2013, 05:57 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I'm pretty sure what's described is the test that I did and nothing happened. What I don't understand is why I don't get any clicking out of the solenoids. If the motor was dead, wouldn't it still send current?

I wish I understood electricity better.
Old March 24th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
sounds like the ground is bad. There should be a very heavy ground wire from the lug on the underside of the motor to the negative on your battery. There should be a smaller ground wire going to the controller box to ground the solenoids. The fact that no solenoids are clicking sounds like theres no ground.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 24th, 2013, 07:23 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

That was my thought too but I didn't disconnect a single wire from the winch and there is no heavy wire coming off the bottom lug(only the controller ground) and the thing worked great for years. I didn't install it myself but on initial installation, could the winch have somehow been self grounded against the old steel mounting plate?

Still doesn't explain why the motor test didn't work. I threaded the hex nut on the ground terminal in a few turns and then hooked a jumper cable from that bolt to the negative of the battery. I get sparks but no movement. Does the bolt have to be threaded in further or something?
Old March 24th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Run a ground direct to the battery or an alternative location.
Old March 24th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868 View Post
That was my thought too but I didn't disconnect a single wire from the winch and there is no heavy wire coming off the bottom lug(only the controller ground) and the thing worked great for years. I didn't install it myself but on initial installation, could the winch have somehow been self grounded against the old steel mounting plate?

Still doesn't explain why the motor test didn't work. I threaded the hex nut on the ground terminal in a few turns and then hooked a jumper cable from that bolt to the negative of the battery. I get sparks but no movement. Does the bolt have to be threaded in further or something?
Warns instructions warn that poorly grounding the motor will signifigantly reduce its life. That said its not the motor if the solenoids aren't clicking,

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 26th, 2013, 03:24 PM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
Flash, since the winch did not originally have a ground cable going to the battery, it was grounding through the mount. Now that you have a new bumper, you lost your ground. Also, no clicking from the solenoids means they are not grounding anymore.
Your control pack has been completely rewired, so i don't trust what is there. Attached is the wiring diagram for your winch, go through this and double check everything. Then run a ground cable, 1 gauge 150 inch from the motor to the negative battery terminal. Make sure the ground bolt going into the motor is not too long, we use a 1/2 inch long bolt.
Also, check the motor, pull the two motor bolts, make sure the motor housing stays in place and carfully remove the motor end cap. Inspect the brushes, look for corrosion, take a small screw driver and make sure the brushes can move freely.
Send me an e-mail at WARN if you have more troubles steves@warn.com we'll get this figured out.

Steve
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wiring Mid Frame 5 Wire.pdf (13.2 KB, 85 views)
Old April 1st, 2013, 09:46 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfield View Post
Flash, since the winch did not originally have a ground cable going to the battery, it was grounding through the mount. Now that you have a new bumper, you lost your ground. Also, no clicking from the solenoids means they are not grounding anymore.
Your control pack has been completely rewired, so i don't trust what is there. Attached is the wiring diagram for your winch, go through this and double check everything. Then run a ground cable, 1 gauge 150 inch from the motor to the negative battery terminal. Make sure the ground bolt going into the motor is not too long, we use a 1/2 inch long bolt.
Also, check the motor, pull the two motor bolts, make sure the motor housing stays in place and carfully remove the motor end cap. Inspect the brushes, look for corrosion, take a small screw driver and make sure the brushes can move freely.
Send me an e-mail at WARN if you have more troubles steves@warn.com we'll get this figured out.

Steve
Thank you so much for this. Very helpful. Well the above post is 100% correct. Turns out hooking a jumper cable to the negative bolt on the bottom side of the motor is not enough for an xd9000. It didn't work when I first did it then under the instruction of WARN, I took a ground cable and bolted it tight to the grounding terminal and then bolted the ground cable to a battery. Repeated the motor test and the winch ran. Motor is fine.

So I as everyone suggested, it's a grounding issue. I've ordered up 20 foot spool of 2 gauge wire (biggest I could find at the length I needed) to make a dedicated ground wire. (the one I was using to test is 3ft long and 4 gauge, so won't work long term) My question is now. do I ground to battery or do I ground to frame or somehwere else?

I would assume battery but in a defender the distance from the winch to the battery box is probably 6-7 feet of cable, which will increase the electrical resistance. I'm thinking that this is maybe the reason it was originally installed in a way it grounded via the mount. Should I ground to one of the bolts near the frame horn? I know the battery is what's specified in the instructions but isn't a ground a ground (assuming less than 2ohm resistance) and shorter the distance the better?
Old April 4th, 2013, 04:07 PM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
Go straighht to the battery. Frame grounds will cause the same problem you originally had.
Old April 29th, 2013, 09:33 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Thought I would follow up on this thread and post the resolution. Winch is running and works great!

I ended up pulling off the clutch, repacking it, cleaning everything including taking a wire brush to the terminals on the winch. Ordered up a 15 ft. of 2 gauge wire and cut to length to make a ground cable that is bolted on to one of the batteries (top post).

Couple of Notes for anyone who has troubles down the road with their winch:

1. When doing the motor test, there are lots of videos on the internet of people using jumper cables to complete all the connections necessary for the test. This did not work for me. I needed a dedicated battery cable bolted to the ground post on the winch and connected to ground on the battery before the motor test would work. Also, make sure you are using a relatively fully charged battery.

2. Repacking the clutch.. Warn instructions will warn you on this but do NOT apply grease to the clutch ring, use gear oil/assembly lube/ something of lighter viscosity. I made this mistake and then even after wiping all the grease off it still requires some serious muscle to free spool the winch.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, motor