Wanting to install a subwoofer - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 14th, 2004, 12:11 AM
Matt Klapmust
Matthew Klapmust
'94 D90 ST

Wanting to install a subwoofer

I was thinking of installing a self-powered Bazooka, but wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on improving the stereo system. The head unit is a Kenwood that I hope to have installed as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle
1997 Alpine White D-90 SW

Matt,

I just upgraded my system. And I looked at installing two Bazookas but found, through my research, that they are not the greatest subwoffer. So I bought two JL Audio 8" subs, had fiberglass enclosures made for them and mounted them between the jumps seats in the rear, one per side. That, coupled with 4 MB Quartz speakers, a JL Audio 300 watt/4 channel amp, a JL Audio 250 watt/mono amp and an Alpine FM/CD/MP3 player and an Alpine 6 disc changer, and I am happy.

I drive this truck a lot every day. I've got to have my music or I would go nuts.

Rick
Old January 14th, 2004, 12:47 AM
Matt Klapmust
Matthew Klapmust
'94 D90 ST

That sounds pretty cool. Where do you have the amps placed? I am guessing they are mounted on the enclosures themsleves?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2004, 01:53 AM
scot
Scot Yount
95 Coniston Green D-90 SW

I have been told (this sounds risky) that cutting a hole in the front of the passenger seatbox is a great way to mount a subwoofer....plus you could actually hear it....
Old January 14th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle

I have the 4 channel amp mounted under the passenger seat (as high as possible) and the mono amp mounted on top of the cd changer below where the storage area used to be in the center console. I saw "used to be" since the previous owner has butchered the console by removing the storage area completely and had a boxed 10" subwoofer in place of the storage area. I still need to create a shallow storage tray and clean up the large circular cut he/she had made at the rear of the console. But I have plans for that, just haven't done it as yet.

I have no trouble hearing my subs. If there was a bit more "sound absorption" material in these trucks, I would say the sound would be absolutely awesome. But I'm not complaining.
Old January 14th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

If you want a good self powered sub infinity makes a 200 watt unit that is made to fit under a normal seat. I had a Bazooka and it was ok. It did not hit the real lows (below 100 Hz) and if it got a little wet it did some very interesting things.
Old January 14th, 2004, 06:01 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

Rick-

Any pics of the installation? I'd like to see what you came up with.

Thanks.
Old January 14th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle

Torrence,

I will have to take some and post them. I switched to an iMac and feel like I have never used a computer before so give me time and I will figure it out. I can't even figure out how to reduce a photo to 100x100 pixels for my avatar!

Rick
Old January 14th, 2004, 10:03 PM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

rick
are you running panter 10.2.3? Anyway in appleworks, if you paste your pic from the program preview, you can decrease the size of your photo to meet the size you need

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions