Want to buy but cracks in roof. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 18th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Kimv
Vanderhulst
None

Want to buy but cracks in roof.

Hello, this is my first post here. I've owned a Defender 110 300Tdi before but life happened and I was forced to sell it. Now, almost 10 years later, I'm looking to buy another one. Thanks to this forum I know what to look for and I've found one interesting vehicle, a 2007 110 with not too many miles and cheaper than what they usually go for. There are however 3 things that keep me from buying:

1) the interior: has a very bad scratch on the dashboard which extends onto the headlining. It's in the corner on the passengers side.

2) on this same passengers side, there's a tear in the seat fabric.

3) this one bothers me most: there are cracks in the roof at the front in the corners right above the windshield. The owner says he uses mastic on those but that it has to be renewed some times. I looked around and I found that those cracks appear when putting a too heavy weight on the roof rack.

Would these roof cracks be no-goers for you? Should I expect to have to replace the roof in the future anyway? I suppose that if water has leaked in, the bulkhead might be compromised?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2014, 04:19 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
The roof will leak as it is... I suppose the cracks would make it worse. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me since roofs are a dime a dozen on your side of the pond.

I see no way the roof being cracked would contribute to the 'compromise' of the bulkhead.

Old January 18th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Kimv
Vanderhulst
None

Thanks. Well I thought maybe that through those cracks water would be able to easily find its way along the sides of the windshield and accumulate to cause corrosion?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, rack, roof