Wading in deep mud...what fluids do I need to change? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 3rd, 2013, 04:54 AM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
Wading in deep mud...what fluids do I need to change?

I spent some time a few weekends ago in deep mud. Does anyone know what fluids I should change?

Also, I couldn't find a wading plug on the transmission (R380). Am I missing something? This thread makes it seem like they're only on diesels: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=24940
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:28 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I guess it depends on how long you were in the mud and what the conditions were before going in. Your rear axle vent is not much higher up than the mud you were in. The front axle and transmission vents are higher up on the firewall. If you haven't replace your axle fluid might be a good excuse to replace it. If you went in hot and the water was cool you might have sucked in water to the other fluids but if everything was sound you may be OK.
I could be wrong but I think all the R380's have the wading plug hole. It is on the bottom of the bell housing.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:57 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Just check your fluids, make sure they don't look like chocolate milk. If you didn't change all of them when you bought the truck, now is a great time to do it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2013, 08:09 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Diff fluids = 90wt oil, also swivel ball housing should be checked, this is oil as well, unless someone was running grease before you...then you have a PIA to get all the grease out.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:26 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Just check your fluids, make sure they don't look like chocolate milk. If you didn't change all of them when you bought the truck, now is a great time to do it.
X2 on the diffs, transmission and t-case. That stuff looks like wet concrete.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:33 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Definitely clean out the mud ASAP with a hose. Once it dries in odd places, it's very difficult to remove. This includes in the engine bay and between the bulkhead and outriggers and inside the frame.

What Craig said as well - the swivel balls especially. The seal on the swivel ball is only for keeping oil/grease in the ball - there is actually a gaping hole near the top of the seal that will allow water to ingress easily.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 02:15 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sro View Post

I spent some time a few weekends ago in deep mud. Does anyone know what fluids I should change?
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=24940
Looks like on AT tires with little to no tread. Did momentum only carry you that far?
Old May 3rd, 2013, 04:08 PM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Definitely clean out the mud ASAP with a hose. Once it dries in odd places, it's very difficult to remove. This includes in the engine bay and between the bulkhead and outriggers and inside the frame.

What Craig said as well - the swivel balls especially. The seal on the swivel ball is only for keeping oil/grease in the ball - there is actually a gaping hole near the top of the seal that will allow water to ingress easily.
Well, it sounds like the general consensus is to check or replace just about everything. I'll start by checking the diffs and replace the fluid in the swivel balls. Before my next long road trip I'll also check the zerks on the u-joints, fluid in the transfer case, and the transmission fluid. ugh...

I cleaned out the mud the next day. I was able to get almost all of the mud off. However there's still mud in the inside of parts of the frame. I ran water through the frame (the best I could) for about 30 minutes but the mud was just too thick. The water ran out of the frame clear, but I could tell there was still mud in there.

Now I know any time the inside of the frame gets wet it's going to take forever to dry. Has anyone else been in this situation? Is there some sort of solvent I can use to break up that mud?
Old May 3rd, 2013, 04:13 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Just check. If seals are all good, everything will be fine. That picture is every trip, all day long around here and much deeper. I do have extended breathers though and anyone that wades should put them in.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 04:22 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Is there some sort of solvent I can use to break up that mud?
Best way to break up mud is with a hammer
Old May 3rd, 2013, 06:12 PM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
Quote:
I would except it's inside the frame...
Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:14 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
If you haven't just go ahead an replace the fluid in the R380 with some MTL, everything else is probably low and needed to be changed anyways. I've spent a lot of time in the deep NC clay that we have in the piedmont, Ive always been impressed with Rover wheel bearing seals. I run wet hubs and have never had issues.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:19 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Ditto what John said about your breathers. If you like to play in mud/water, then get extended breathers. Some folks even run them inside their snorkel up to the cap--I just ran mine to above the engine between the bulkhead and engine.

If you don't have extended breathers, then personally, I would at a minimum check all my fluids. I would take my fill plugs out and dip something into the fluid to check. Personally if my finger doesn't reach, I top them off anyways, but first I will dip something down to also judge how much they leak out. I don't like leaks--that typically means something has a better change of getting sucked in as well. I keep all my fluids running clean and clear and change them every year or so no matter what. You can usually tell when you have sucked contaminants into the fluids. If there is any doubt, or they are generally dirty (or don't smell right some cases) then I change them.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:55 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Looks like on AT tires with little to no tread. Did momentum only carry you that far?
That's the first thing I noticed...
Old May 3rd, 2013, 10:02 PM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
If you haven't just go ahead an replace the fluid in the R380 with some MTL, everything else is probably low and needed to be changed anyways.
Actually already changed all the fluids 1-4,000 miles ago, so I'd prefer not to change them again.

I will check them for mud though.
Old May 4th, 2013, 05:54 AM
Whiesel
Eric Williamson
LR-90 300 tdi

Looks like you wer pushing mud if front of you. If you did not blank off the rad (and AC condenser) make sure it is thorougly hosed through. You may have to go from inside the engine bay, and pull the grill. That mud will have set up hard.
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:03 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Did you have the CDl locked?
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:29 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:

Well, it sounds like the general consensus is to check or replace just about everything. I'll start by checking the diffs and replace the fluid in the swivel balls. Before my next long road trip I'll also check the zerks on the u-joints, fluid in the transfer case, and the transmission fluid. ugh...

I cleaned out the mud the next day. I was able to get almost all of the mud off. However there's still mud in the inside of parts of the frame. I ran water through the frame (the best I could) for about 30 minutes but the mud was just too thick. The water ran out of the frame clear, but I could tell there was still mud in there.

Now I know any time the inside of the frame gets wet it's going to take forever to dry. Has anyone else been in this situation? Is there some sort of solvent I can use to break up that mud?
I douse my frame with wd40. It allows mud and salt to wash off with water without power washing it. I also spake the inside of the frame with it as well. Helps keep the moister off/out.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 4th, 2013, 06:29 PM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
Good thing I checked the diffs. Front diff oil is the same color as the mud pit. Now I'm draining the swivel balls too (they're also dark). That oil is about 2,000 miles old...

The next thing I need to do is check the transfer case and transmission oil...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	71482  
Old May 4th, 2013, 09:39 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
better douche out those swivels

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions