W-bar pics - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 2nd, 2008, 04:03 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
W-bar pics

I'm trying to fit a SW rollbar in an 1985 with a bulkhead. I'd love to see some pics of were the w-bar attaches to the floor, and the sides of truck.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2008, 11:03 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
It doesnt attach to the sides of the truck, it attaches to the interior hoop. This pic is the best I can do, its a soft top, but you get the idea. The bulkhead really does have to go to fit the cage.

I should mention that you are probably missing the underbody support which is visible in this picture just laying across the chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis Drivers Side.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	13234  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:11 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
It doesnt attach to the sides of the truck, it attaches to the interior hoop. This pic is the best I can do, its a soft top, but you get the idea. The bulkhead really does have to go to fit the cage.

I should mention that you are probably missing the underbody support which is visible in this picture just laying across the chassis.
Thanks,

That helps alot.

Would I be missing the underboby bars because its a SW?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2008, 03:41 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You're missing the underbody bar because its not a NAS truck. -Its a Safety Devices part, and most (all?) Safety devices applications for the D90 use the underbody bar - whether soft top or hard top.

I think you might be able to use the cage and just not use the "W" bar - it really just replaces the bulhead - i.e. your bulkhead does the same job.

I have a spare underbody bar in my garage in NY - I dont want to sell it, but you are welcome to pick it up and copy it. Its not too complex - and is designed in several parts so as to be retrofitted.

Old May 3rd, 2008, 03:46 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

He could just weld a couple points to the frame underneath. The 110 just has a couple brackets welded to the cross-member that through bolt to the inner bar.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 11:23 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Quote:
You're missing the underbody bar because its not a NAS truck. -Its a Safety Devices part, and most (all?) Safety devices applications for the D90 use the underbody bar - whether soft top or hard top.

I think you might be able to use the cage and just not use the "W" bar - it really just replaces the bulhead - i.e. your bulkhead does the same job.

I have a spare underbody bar in my garage in NY - I dont want to sell it, but you are welcome to pick it up and copy it. Its not too complex - and is designed in several parts so as to be retrofitted.
As Ron expained to me, (he's selling the SW rollbar setup) there are 4 bars that connect the mounting ponits to the frame. He didn't mention an underbody bar,its also not shown in the SW roll bar picture. I don't know if he assumed I already had it, or its not needed.

As far as the w-bar, I kind of want to get rid of the bulkhead anyway, dog hates it.
Thanks again for your input, this site was been great, especially for a kook like me.
Tom
Old May 3rd, 2008, 11:30 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaco1
As Ron expained to me, (he's selling the SW rollbar setup) there are 4 bars that connect the mounting ponits to the frame. He didn't mention an underbody bar,its also not shown in the SW roll bar picture. I don't know if he assumed I already had it, or its not needed.
Tom
Since they are the same between the ST and SW, he probably assumed they are part of the frame on all 90's, but they're actually NAS only. If you dont put something under there you'll just be bolting the cage to the thin aluminum of the wheel well and the floor.

I think lr4x4.com has a couple threads about removing the bulkhead. Its doable, just takes some cutting.

Just let me know if you need to borrow my parts.

Old May 4th, 2008, 11:43 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Quote:
Since they are the same between the ST and SW, he probably assumed they are part of the frame on all 90's, but they're actually NAS only. If you dont put something under there you'll just be bolting the cage to the thin aluminum of the wheel well and the floor.

I think lr4x4.com has a couple threads about removing the bulkhead. Its doable, just takes some cutting.

Thanks,

I may take you up on the loan.
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:52 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Quote:

Hey Jim,

I found that underbody bar, I was wondering if you had any idea of what it was worth? Steve safarirovers has one.
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:09 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Tom, I did this conversion in my truck. I cut out the rear bulkhead and installed the bar and side posts along with the underside bar that attaches to the frame. I think I paid $150 for my underside bar about 3 years ago.. If you need pix, let me know. You might see some in my project build pix on the site actually

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions