Voltage all over the place. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 13th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Voltage all over the place.

I knew it was too long without a problem, so the Defender reminded me it wants attention again.

Voltage is going bonkers on me for some reason, flickering between 14 and 16 volts. Happens at all RPM's, and definitely isn't just the gauge since the lights are also surging in brightness. Odd thing is that the problem is intermittent. Sometimes it will just randomly stop happening for a few minutes, then come back for a while, stop again, etc...

My first guess is voltage regulator.... but I'm not 100% sure where it's located. Any other suggestions where to poke around for this one?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
That's your regulator alright! Better get it fixed before it blows up your ECU and battery. Regulators are usually located on the alternator from the 80's on. They're integrated where the wires go into the battery. Look at where the mainline connects in your alternator. I don't think on the 3.9 you can replace just the regulator on that alternator, but someone else will need to confirm. I know on my diesel bosch alternator, I can pull the regulator out with a screwdrive and just replace that (thanks for that tip Pendy!).

Good luck.
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I was afraid you would say that. It's only a few month old rebuilt alternator, and of course I can't find the receipt. Blah.

-Hans

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2009, 08:36 PM
exmod110
Don Lang

Check all of your connections. They can cause weird things like this.. cheaper then a new alt as a first step.
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I bought the rebiulds at Autozone and although I did have to go through like 4-5 of them, they finally gave me a good one plus its a lifetime warranty, pays off if you plan on keeping your D forever.

Robert Deniro
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:08 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
rebuilt alternator

-Hans
Well, there is your first mistake. Call Mikey at LR West Chester and get a new one.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:48 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Well, good news on this one. Napa was able to do a search for me, and determined that I was the ONLY guy to buy that model alternator this year from that shop..... so even without a receipt they swapped it for a fresh one for me. Still a rebuilt, but cost me nothing this time around.

All better now.

-Hans

Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:26 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Between Neil and Galpin I think they are about 2/10 on having the rebuilds work. Keep a close eye on it.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 10:27 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

First one ran for 7 months before the regulator went. First rebuilt I've ever had go bad from this supplier. I would have preferred new, but just didn't have the budget at the time after the other stuff I did.

Next time it goes, after the warranty is up, I'm going to do the bosche conversion.

-Hans

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac