VNT turbo and EGT probe - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 14th, 2015, 10:16 AM
Talleyrand
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi

Registry
VNT turbo and EGT probe

I have one of the VNT turbos from the 2.8 International engine (from Michele's group buy) on my 300tdi and am soon going to add a full width intercooler. I want to put an EGT gauge on the dash but with the VNT turbo and different manifold there is no handy EGR blanking plate to put the probe. For those with VNT turbos, has anyone fitted an EGT probe and where did you put it?

Cheers,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

These are the same as what comes on the 2.8, right? It's a contoured surface so you need to mill it flat and then drill your hole, but there's plenty of room. Here's a picture of one I did.

-Ash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

352-572-3236

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 14th, 2015, 12:05 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

That's exactly what I did, too. Had a machine shop make a flat spot for the probe and then drill the proper sized hole there. Then had the whole thing ceramic-coated--unnecessary but it looked nice.

/
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2016, 02:41 PM
Matt_110
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
These are the same as what comes on the 2.8, right? It's a contoured surface so you need to mill it flat and then drill your hole, but there's plenty of room. Here's a picture of one I did.

-Ash

Sorry for the dumb question, but does this require the removal of the manifold? If I'm going to take this to a machine shop, what do I need to remove and how much should I expect to pay for the milling n drilling? I have the 2.8 TGV.

Thanks!
Old May 20th, 2016, 03:36 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I didn't mill mine. but I drilled it while it was off. you can drill and tap as well with it on but you have to be carefull that the shavings don't fall in the hole. A common practice (so I I've heard by several sources) to prevent that is to put grease on the spot you are going to drill, then let the engine idle while you drill and tap, so the exhaust gases blow any shavings out under light pressure.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old May 20th, 2016, 04:30 PM
Matt_110
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I didn't mill mine. but I drilled it while it was off. you can drill and tap as well with it on but you have to be carefull that the shavings don't fall in the hole. A common practice (so I I've heard by several sources) to prevent that is to put grease on the spot you are going to drill, then let the engine idle while you drill and tap, so the exhaust gases blow any shavings out under light pressure.
Good to know. Any chance you have a pic of where you drilled yours? I'm a little nervous about the whole process and haven't had the best luck
Old May 20th, 2016, 05:03 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_110 View Post

Good to know. Any chance you have a pic of where you drilled yours? I'm a little nervous about the whole process and haven't had the best luck
Ive posted the pic before. dont have it handy. you can search for it.

Old May 21st, 2016, 01:51 AM
Whiesel
Eric Williamson
LR-90 300 tdi

Just today I was looking at installing a probe in my VNT (2.8 type) manifold. But the probe supplied by MadMan is the straight type. Due to the M&D intake pipe over the turbo it looks like a 90 deg probe would work better.
Some have bent the probes in a brake pipe bender. Supposedly the insulating fill does not short out if the radius is reasonable. Only Edge says it cannot be done. Any thoughts on this?
Or just go to HGSI (The Sensor Connection) for a new probe, with the attendant down time.?
Regards, Eric.
Old May 21st, 2016, 10:11 AM
BullTrout14
Brian
1985/Defender 110

Registry
I don't have the madman probe so don't know if it the same but I bent my McNally probe to install in my 300 tdi VNT turbo I installed and have had no issues with readings.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 10:15 AM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiesel View Post
Just today I was looking at installing a probe in my VNT (2.8 type) manifold. But the probe supplied by MadMan is the straight type. Due to the M&D intake pipe over the turbo it looks like a 90 deg probe would work better.
Some have bent the probes in a brake pipe bender. Supposedly the insulating fill does not short out if the radius is reasonable. Only Edge says it cannot be done. Any thoughts on this?
Or just go to HGSI (The Sensor Connection) for a new probe, with the attendant down time.?
Regards, Eric.
I don't have a VNT Turbo, but I do have a madman probe in my stock EGT blanking plate, and the madman instructions tell you to stick a box-end wrench on the end of the probe and bend it until its nose clears the manifold and allows the blanking plate to sit flush.

I bent mine probably more than was necessary--looks a lot like a banana--and have had no issues. All that to say you can bend them a pretty good bit and still have them work just fine.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 11:11 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I installed a VDO probe in mine, no issues.

Old May 24th, 2016, 12:36 AM
Whiesel
Eric Williamson
LR-90 300 tdi

Thanks for the advice. Bent the probe 90 degrees and tested it. All's well.

First pic shows the probe installed. The probe points toward the front of the engine and the lead is routed around the engine back to the firewall with enough lead to reach the gauge. Saves having to coil up the excess lead as well. I did this at I have a bracket to the rear of the probe that supports the intake.

A while back, the clip that M&D supplies to support the intake pipe fractured (due to vibration) so I knocked up the "T" bracket you can see to the right of the probe. Its slotted at the back of the ears to retain a couple of hose clips.

Second pic. Anyone with a similar problem might consider this fix. Been good for over a year now, and a plus is that it holds the intake elbow away from the terminal on the alternator.

Eric.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010111.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	150142   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010112.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	150143  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions