Viscous fan questions (200tdi) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 27th, 2007, 10:22 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Viscous fan questions (200tdi)

Hi. My truck's been running pretty hot, with the needle hovering around the last mark on the temp gauge before it hits the red. On the way home this evening I (tentatively) stuck my finger onto the fan blade and was able to stop it easily. When I let go it would slowly spin up to a lazy speed and then stay there. I remember when I had a D1 V8 the fan would spin up very loudly when it got hot but I've never heard that with the 110.

Is the fan on the 200tdi the same concept as the viscous fan on the 4.0 V8? I mean, does this sound like my fan clutch needs to be replaced?

If so, do I need to get a part for this from my Land Rover parts distributor, or there something I can pick up at a local parts store that will work? I'm heading off on a 10 day trip in less than a week and would like to get this looked after before I go if that's reasonably possible. Or maybe if there's nothing wrong after all, then if I know that I have a bit more piece of mind

Thanks,
- Andrew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Hey Andrew ...

The part number you are looking for is ETC7238 and it is the same system used in the D1 4.0 not the same part.

As for your gauge, if it is the same as OEM I would not thrust it with anything. And also have a look at that thermostat. Is it working properly. That little engine is not a warm runner. But first of all make sure the temp is realy what it is. The best would be to have a metered unit with the acurate temp like the VDO one or something similar. I some times use an optical thermometer wich give you a good idea as to what an unmarked gauge is actualy telling you.

But most of all it is definatly an issue you want to clear before any long trip to avoid alot of costly repairs.

Good luck !

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old June 28th, 2007, 06:08 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Hi Pat, it's been a while. I hope you're doing well with your rebuild. I'm actually heading out to Gaspésie next week and then down and back through Maine and the US. I'll wave at you as I get near Quebec City

Thanks for the info and for sending the part number. I'll maybe stop by my mechanic today as I don't know how to test a thermostat and unfortunately at this point I don't have time to learn ... unless it's easy? Otherwise I'll be ordering a new thermostat and/or viscous unit so I can get them in in the next week.

Thanks again,
- Andrew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2007, 08:43 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

OK a couple more questions:

Should the fan spin up for a couple seconds when I first turn the truck on? I remember this happening with my Discovery but it doesn't happen with my 110.

Could this be related to a faulty thermostat? I don't see how this could be the case, as if the thermostat was causing the engine to overheat then the fan would spin up as the fan clutch isn't connected in any way to the thermostat (right?). If the thermostat was causing the engine to overcool, then in the summer I don't really care too much, and why would my gauge be reading so high (unless the gauge too is defective).

Aside from the fan clutch being dead, I can also see that I possibly just have a defective engine temperature gauge and it's incorrectly reading high, when in actual fact the engine temperature is just fine and that's why the fan never turns on.

This last question is what prompted my first question, as if the fan is SUPPOSED to engage and spin for a few seconds when I turn the truck on, and it's not doing it, then this is an indication that it's the fan clutch and not (necessarily) a faulty temperature gauge.

Regarding temperature gauges, can I just go get an electric one that's the same size as the standard one, plumb it in somehow, and mount it where my current gauge sits? That *seems* to be what I'd need to do.

Thanks again,
- Andrew.
Old June 28th, 2007, 11:25 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Well, I've called around and asked people who know more than me, and I do think my viscous clutch is on the way out, since it doesn't spin up when I start the engine.

I just called my usual parts supplier and they're backordered on viscous clutches right now. They also expect to have an electrical conversion kit available in the next month or so for the 200tdi, for about $100 more than the viscous clutch, so I may as well wait and decide between those two next month.

If I have time before my trip, I'll replace my temperature gauge so I have a better handle on that, and just pull over if my truck's close to overheating.

Thanks,
- Andrew.
Old June 28th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Andrew,
Here's a story of inspirationa and guidance. When I picked up my 110 from Pendy, my OEM temp gauge was reading almost consistently on the edge of red. We thought we had a real overheating problem. Pendy recommended that before we panic, we put in a VDO that reads in degrees and get an accurate reading. 20 minutes later, we warmed up the engine, and the VDO was showing at temp around 130 deg, 50 degrees before the green range! Temp-No Problem, OEM Gauge-PROBLEM!

Dont' spend a dime on anything until you replace that gauge and sending unit. If there is still a problem, then starting working the list, starting with the pos/neg wiring to the fan to make sure there is a good supply of current to run that puppy.
Old June 28th, 2007, 12:32 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Thanks for the info. I'll go pick up a new gauge this afternoon. Can I just use any electric temperature gauge that fits there or do I need anything special?

Also, I'm still wondering about this unit, since I still think it's supposed to spin up for a moment when the engine starts. The fact that it doesn't do that suggests to me that it's broken. I didn't even know it had any electrics though, so I'll check that out too.

Pat (Retrofit) just agreed to overnight a spare used viscous clutch he has to me so if mine's broken, which I think it is, I'll have a solution for that.

Thanks again to everyone for your help on this,
- Andrew.
Old June 28th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Go VDO vision. The gauge Pendy recommended I use (and that he installed) is 310-105, and the sender is 323-095. my guess is your 200 tdi would probably need the same range as my 2.8 (300tdi variant). my normal op range in 180-220 deg f.

as for the fan, most electric fans as I have know them have a thermal switch controlling the power to them that inserts through the radiator fins to monitor temperature. if the temperature is at or above the switch contact temp, then the fan is on. electric fans supplement the engine driven belt fan, so they normally don't come on when the water temp is cold. but they might stay on after a shut down with a warm engine for a few minutes, until the coolant cools sufficiently and the switch cuts the fan off. powered by non-switched power of course.
Old June 28th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
When the clutch kicks in, you should be able to hear the fan. IME, the clutch ONLY kicks in when it is really hot out and you are pushing the engine hard at lowish speeds.

If it is overheating normally, you have another problem. Thermostat, water pump or radiator.

If you want to go electrical, get a fan from the junk yard from a V6 Taurus. They pull serious air and are nearly a direct bolt in to our radiators. With the 200TDI, their shrouds need to be shortened a little to fit the radiator, but they are the perfect height and will use the factory lower clips and upper bolts.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45.../taurusfan.jpg

On the stock gauge... IME with this engine..... The stock sender and gauge work very well and show correct temperatures. If you go aftermarket, the sender is 5/8" UNF IIRC.
Old June 29th, 2007, 01:51 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
My Fan in the 110 200tdi has kicked in about twice since I've owned it, both in the Sahara in the summer after the engine has stood for a little while, and then restarted, it was so loud I wondered for a couple of seconds what the heck was going on.
My tip would be to use a Mk 1 hand and feel the temp of the return hose to the engine from the rad, mine is usually warm to the touch at best.
I had overheating and it turned out to be the rad, most of the cooling fins had fallen off and it was all furred up internally. The temp would gradually creep up and up when running at 60 -70 mph and not go back down unless the engine was turned off. A new rad sorted that.
You could run without a thermostat to see if the temperature drops.
Tdi's usually run pretty cool. the fan blades actually broke and the whole thing fell on the drive (not the clutch unit) and I ran with no blades for a while with no overheating problems in the summer UK.
Old June 29th, 2007, 02:05 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Thanks everybody for your input. I'll get the VDO gauge when I have a chance to find a place to order it.

My mechanic says the viscous clutch is working, so I'll take his word on that. He also pulled the thermostat out and it's running cooler now and doesn't seem to go over about the 1/2 way mark on my current temperature gauge. I'll probably just leave it out for the trip.

I have also considered that I need to work on my radiator, but haven't taken the time to really look into that yet.

Thanks also for the tip on the Taurus fan. I'll try to remember that when it comes time to replace this fan.

So, for now, I'm leaving the thermostat out until I can research which replacement I need to get. I'll try a new one and see if that keeps the temps down. If not, I'll take a closer look at my radiator.

Thanks,
- Andrew.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, fan, tdi