Viscous fan poll - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 11th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Viscous fan poll

Was wondering if everyone else's viscous roars constantly in light stop and go traffic with the a/c on. My viscous is new and my a/c condenser fans are now coming on and I still notice this more than I used to, I think. I was also wondering if having the large hella 4000's in front of the grill is reducing air flow.

The truck isn't overheating and has a new water pump as well...it is just the fan being on all the time when it is HOT out....sounds like I'm driving a jet.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2011, 11:22 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Genuine? I went through this, having tried cheap cross-referenced ones, a non-genuine aftermarket (I forget but whatever AB/RN sell that's not genuine) and finally bought a genuine one. Only the genuine one doesn't howl unnecessarily. It will initially on a cold start as you pick up the revs then acts as you'd expect.

Not sure about the A/C fans coming on though - this would indicate your temps are higher and this might justify your viscous fan kicking in.
Old June 11th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Genuine? I went through this, having tried cheap cross-referenced ones, a non-genuine aftermarket (I forget but whatever AB/RN sell that's not genuine) and finally bought a genuine one. Only the genuine one doesn't howl unnecessarily. It will initially on a cold start as you pick up the revs then acts as you'd expect.

Not sure about the A/C fans coming on though - this would indicate your temps are higher and this might justify your viscous fan kicking in.
I'm pretty sure I have a genuine one. Mine just seems to be coming on a lot more even though the truck is running at a nice temperature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2011, 11:52 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

I ditched the engine driven fan on the V8 in my RRC and substituted an electric, a 2 speed from a Ford. Never a moment of regret.

The 110 hasn't got a fan, the diesel runs cool enough that it didn't need one in the UK. We'll see how it does here, if it needs a fan I'll go electric again.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old June 11th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
The a/c condenser fans where not coming on which I though was causing the temp to be hotter at the front of the engine causing the viscous to run more. The fans have been fixed and the viscous seems to be running much more when it is hot and I know the truck isn't running hot. I was curious if other trucks viscous howl in 90-95 degree heat when in city driving but not heavy traffic.
I just don't recall my 94 doing this unless I was stuck in serious traffic and it was over 90.
Old June 11th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I always thought the howling noise was a good thing.

Robert Deniro
Old June 11th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
It is in one sense because it means it is doing its job. I'm just curious if the same thing is happening to others or is it an issue with my truck.
Old June 11th, 2011, 06:09 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I run an aftermarket from NAPA in the summer with excellent results, I dont use AC in either of my trucks. I know the over driven clutches are noisey, rob a little power and economy but its well worth it to me in the summer, especially on the trail.
Old June 11th, 2011, 11:05 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Dumb question - I thought the electric fan on the front of the radiator WAS the viscous fan. But it sounds like that is the condenser fan. Confused. Especially since I get no roar when it's hot with the AC on, and that electronic fan on the front of the radiator never goes on. Anyone care to break this down for me?

Thanks!
Old June 12th, 2011, 09:00 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Electric fan in front should run when the AC is running. Your clutch is likely worn out i never had any luck with the factory fan and clutches
Old June 12th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by founD90 View Post
Anyone care to break this down for me?
Your viscous unit and your electric fan are broken.
Old June 12th, 2011, 11:23 AM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post

I think the after market is named "pro Line".
hot running issues can be one of the worst to solve, on one hand you need heat for the engine to run properly but too much heat your'e doomed.
then the maybe this maybe that approach just gets expensive and yields little and exhausting results.
we need to understand that our trucks are getting old so not all components work as designed, further more the maintenance given to them as they have aged just does not fully adress the aging issues.
defective exhaust system will cause issues, just flushig the coolant does not fully clean the cooling system...a better approach is to have the radiator cleaned in an acid bath at a reputable rad shop, the ideal and proper approach is to install a new unit.
thermostat is overlooked as well.
radiator caps if not functioning properly will not allow the system to pressurize and mantain a proper boiling point.
collapsing hoses, lack of air circulation the latter due to mud an debris trapped infront of rad and behind the ac condenser.
damaged cooling fins can block air passage thus reducing air flow.
defective fan clutches are a contribuitor.
at high mileage, the air fuel mixture can be improproper and the combustion chamber can be running at higher temps than designed.
too thick oil weight can cause drag thus converting to heat.
lack of oil changes yield the same effect as well.
dragging driveline components can cause the engine to simulate constant under load conditions, bigger tires, under inflated tires contribute as well.
so in a nutshell solving hot running conditions can be frustrating... it is not as simple as replacing one magic component and voila youre done.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fan