Viscous Coupling swap - anything I should know? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 30th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Viscous Coupling swap - anything I should know?

I'm going to try to swap my VC tomorrow morning early... anything to look out for? Anything odd to beware of?

I checked the manual, and it doesn't really address simply swapping a VC that I could find - it seems to address rebuilding the entire TC or replacing it... not "just" the VC.

It was suggested to be a half hour job... I wonder if that applies to people like myself.

Thanks in advance, guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 10th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Well, that didn't go as planned... I spent 45 minutes and couldn't access 4 of the 8 TC front cover bolts, AND couldn't get leverage on any of the 4 prop shaft bolts...

Questions:

Does the exhaust HAVE to be dropped?
Does th mount under the TC have to be removed? (I think that's a DUH question, as the cover appears to be bolted to it...) Does that entail having a jack under the TC for support?
Is there a means of accessing the uppermost TC front cover bolts?
And, what's the best way to gain leverage uner there for things like the TC cover bolts and prop shaft bolts?
Should the transfer case be in nuetral for this?
SHould I have any oil seals, bearings, etc on hand before taking it out rather than getting it apart and finding they're shot and delaying assembly (another stupid question)?

Admittedly, I didn't lift the truck for room to work, and sorta went at it half-assed.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions